Name those boats .....

Speedwheel

Featured Posts

do we know it's Dane?

Just my "intelligent" guess.

So no not really but the bow looks right and it was converted before it was rebuilt by John Woolley.

I'd second Lupin for the Josher when owned by Ray and Clair Butler.

Paul H

'Japonica' was moored at the Cowroast, the owner met a sad end on the boat and it was 'for sale' in 1987.

Leo.

Japonica was super boat, which I am frantically trying to remember who built it - I want to say Hancock & Lane, but that sounds wrong somehow. It "only" has a twin cylinder Sabb, of probably less than 20HP, but it went like s**t off the proverbial shovel. It would also reverse down the full length of Cow Roast moorings, without the slightest need for even short bursts in forward gear to correct any miss-steer. It sounded superb, and handled better than any other boat built for leisure that I can think of.

I did later hear about the tragic death of it's owner - very sad, as I had known him not well, but shared a lot of time with him at Cowroast.

Does anybody know where the boat is now ? It was wooden topped then, of course, but I guess may well have had a steel cabin added since.

Incidentally the presence of the Runcorn header is interesting to me, as there was another boat at Cowroast then, called "Betty", with massively deep hull sides, and a "butty like" rudder, despite it having been a motor boat in it's working days. Knowing what I know now, I suspect that was also a "header", but I'd be amazed if it had survived, as it was only good bilge pumps that kept it viable then.

I think we all must have towed Betty back to Cowroast after various breakdowns! I know I did more than once, and Japonica regularly retrieved her! Badsey was not yet up and running then, so got excused from the "fetch Betty back" routine!

Great pictures!

Alan

Japonica was super boat, which I am frantically trying to remember who built it - I want to say Hancock & Lane, but that sounds wrong somehow. It "only" has a twin cylinder Sabb, of probably less than 20HP, but it went like s**t off the proverbial shovel. It would also reverse down the full length of Cow Roast moorings, without the slightest need for even short bursts in forward gear to correct any miss-steer. It sounded superb, and handled better than any other boat built for leisure that I can think of.

I did later hear about the tragic death of it's owner - very sad, as I had known him not well, but shared a lot of time with him at Cowroast.

Does anybody know where the boat is now ? It was wooden topped then, of course, but I guess may well have had a steel cabin added since.

Incidentally the presence of the Runcorn header is interesting to me, as there was another boat at Cowroast then, called "Betty", with massively deep hull sides, and a "butty like" rudder, despite it having been a motor boat in it's working days. Knowing what I know now, I suspect that was also a "header", but I'd be amazed if it had survived, as it was only good bilge pumps that kept it viable then.

I think we all must have towed Betty back to Cowroast after various breakdowns! I know I did more than once, and Japonica regularly retrieved her! Badsey was not yet up and running then, so got excused from the "fetch Betty back" routine!

Great pictures!

Alan

I remember hearing Japonica being renamed some years ago - but sorry don't remember what to.

I think Betty is (or was as it was 15 years ago or so) at Hockley Port with a replica steel hull - or maybe even the old wooden one encased in steel.

Paul H

I remember hearing Japonica being renamed some years ago - but sorry don't remember what to.

Yes,

I guess in view of the tragic story associated with "Japonica", it's highly likely that it did receive a rename.

Thanks for the information about "Betty", although if it has survived, I'd me more than a little surprised.

And on the extreme right of the second, (rear end only) is Albion, I believe, which I think was reported on this forum as not having survived.

And does the butty with it's tail end to us look as if it has the "extras" for being motorised ? It's very smart, whatever it is. I don#t think so, but Renown, possibly ??

Edited by alan_fincher

I have to be honest and say that I am not entirely sure what all the boats are!

BTW the pictures are both taken at the same place (Stoke B ) just from different directions.

Colonel is the one in the middle of both pictures - and yes Renown is the motorised butty.

Edited by Satellite

......and yes Renown is the motorised butty.

Blimey!

That was a wild guess.

Obviously it had had a bit of a make-over since this was taken.....

Bexhill__Reknown_4.jpg

The motor here was Bexhill, , but it was the butty that had previously towed the motor out of the bridgehole that didn't have enough water for it's draught!

EDIT: The location of those Calor cylinders, and the gas plumbing to them, clearly places this picture as well before the BSS. :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

Blimey!

That was a wild guess.

Obviously it had had a bit of a make-over since this was taken.....

Bexhill__Reknown_4.jpg

The motor here was Bexhill, , but it was the butty that had previously towed the motor out of the bridgehole that didn't have enough water for it's draught!

EDIT: The location of those Calor cylinders, and the gas plumbing to them, clearly places this picture as well before the BSS. :lol:

Going even further back in time:-

Renown-1.jpg

Who can name the motor boat (easy for some) and the location?

Tim

Walkers? But the cobbles don't fit. Chester? Don't know the motor, but is that the Cawson's on Renown?

Neither Walkers nor Chester.

I think that's Mike Cawson at the tiller, not certain about the other figures.

I believe Sue looks on here from time to time, she would know.

Tim

Location is Chester opposite Taylor's yard.

Is the motor Clevanda?

Paul

Neither :lol:

Tim

Going even further back in time:-

Renown-1.jpg

Who can name the motor boat (easy for some) and the location?

Tim

Not sure of the boats - all narrow boats look the same to me :-) - but the location is Wigan, with the covered sideslips in the background. The brick building was the engineering workshops where the steam engines and boilers were maintained and the chain testing machine located. The yard was set up circa 1880 when the L&LC were developing their carrying fleet and introducing their successful steam boats. The engines, often V-twins, were built by William Wilkinson whose tram engine and colliery equipment business was based at Wigan, close to Pagefield Lock. The old lock gate workshop and forge were behind the photographer, as was the store for sheets and other materials used by the carrying fleet.

Not sure of the boats - all narrow boats look the same to me :-) - but the location is Wigan, with the covered sideslips in the background. The brick building was the engineering workshops where the steam engines and boilers were maintained and the chain testing machine located. The yard was set up circa 1880 when the L&LC were developing their carrying fleet and introducing their successful steam boats. The engines, often V-twins, were built by William Wilkinson whose tram engine and colliery equipment business was based at Wigan, close to Pagefield Lock. The old lock gate workshop and forge were behind the photographer, as was the store for sheets and other materials used by the carrying fleet.

I knew you would recognise it, Mike :lol:

EDIT - This shows some more of the buildings

Renown-2.jpg

Tim

Edited by Timleech