fishing near my boat

Featured Posts

Can anyone tell me something, i have a problem i am in a marina (canal side) and i have a constant problem with fishermen on the opposite bank casting constantly close to the boat ( i get hit by ledgers on a regular basis and am forever having to pick bait of the boat)...are they allowed to do this so close to boats.

Can anyone tell me something, i have a problem i am in a marina (canal side) and i have a constant problem with fishermen on the opposite bank casting constantly close to the boat ( i get hit by ledgers on a regular basis and am forever having to pick bait of the boat)...are they allowed to do this so close to boats.

check the regulations... sometimes it says no fishing in marina waters.

I have heard somewhere that fishing opposite boats on BW waters is against the rules/byelaws whatever.

As others have mentioned I would have a word either with the club who owns/runs the water or with the local baliff if you have one.

In our local paper there is an angling column which mentions, as one reguler contest site, a place that includes a section opposite a line of moored boats. The ignorance this column displays and the ability of the anglers mentioned to only consider themselves and their match fishing is amazing given this is a well used canal.

As far as they are concerned getting a peg near the boats is good as fish are often found under the boats, this meaning all casts must be as near or even under the boats and bait must be likewise spread around the area. Boaters are expected to actually appreciate and encourage this action!

It gets better... one angler was having a 'great day' when one anti-social boater started his engine in gear and ruined the anglers chance of a win - the writer actually stated such practises should be banned as it ruined the fishing and spoiled the contest.

As for passing boats they should be banned to as they also interfere. (An interesting point here is that no angler seemed to know or care what canal this was or anything about it and its locks, bridge numbers, etc. as they (being land based) use the name of the nearest village for the name of their fishing length even if the village is miles from the canal. An interesting rider to the dislike of passing boats is that when they were not passing in winter the anglers were moaning as the water was not getting stirred enough - probably because the locks are not being worked. In fact there are no locks for ten miles but they didn't know that and no doubt suggesting that it was the boats that stirred the water was too much of an original concept for the columnist.

So, as has been said - start your engine and run it in gear. Make noise to frighten the fish and expect anglers to throw bait, abuse etc. at you for your trouble as you are 'an anti social B who is ruining their right to fish'!

asr

I used to enjoy this selfish activity when I lived on my boat. Then I got a hook in my hand after handling my ropes. So I advised the secretary of the angling club, who confirmed it wasn't one of their members as they were more responsible.

So obviously I'd jumped to the wrong conclusion there.

Then I was awoken very early one morning by the clatter of float and lead weights repeatedly hitting my cabin sides. I got dressed, wished the surprised angler a good morning and enquired if he really thought casting directly at my boat in order to drop his maggot directly in the shadow of my boat was acceptable to either me or my paint job.

He just looked at me ...... never said a word .....

I repeated my question as I didn't think it unreasonable, but still got no reaction from him. I put the kettle on as there was no point in going back to bed, and heard the wet "flump" of groundbait hitting the hull. I decided I might as well start my engine and charge up the batteries. Air cooled Listers are very noisy and vibrate heavily.

The following day I borrowed a length of that orange net fencing that the authorities wrap around work in progress. By tying it to the handrails I was able to tastefully decorate that side of the boat in a most ugly way....... but it did stop anybody fishing opposite me, as even the dimmest of morons could predict that they were likely to loose hooks and floats if they got it entangled.

A month later I was doing some angle grinding on my boat and the secretary of the club called across to complain that I was ruining the stretch for their members ..... I confirmed that I wasn't me as I was more responsible so obviously he'd jumped to the wrong conclusion there.

I have heard somewhere that fishing opposite boats on BW waters is against the rules/byelaws whatever.

As others have mentioned I would have a word either with the club who owns/runs the water or with the local baliff if you have one.

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/listenin...ode/for-anglers

This may not stop them fishing but it does work and you will have the satisfaction of knowing they will have a bad day.

Once a month every metre down the side of your boat drop a loo blue cube or similar.

The fish will leave the area and not come back.

One guy who used to be at Marsworth did this along the length just south of Bridge 130 ruined an otherwise excellent fishery.

Luckily I dont get many fishermen opposite me any more since an incident a few years ago that finished with them calling the Ecilop.

If you ever meet me in person I will tell you the story but its not one for on here :lol:

Julian

In much the same way as Alexei Sayle claimed to be the victim of an assassination attempt when he received a carrier bag in the post with the warning not to put it over your head crossed out, perhaps someone could hack that page and edit out the last bit? :lol:

This may not stop them fishing but it does work and you will have the satisfaction of knowing they will have a bad day.

Once a month every metre down the side of your boat drop a loo blue cube or similar.

The fish will leave the area and not come back.

One guy who used to be at Marsworth did this along the length just south of Bridge 130 ruined an otherwise excellent fishery.

Luckily I dont get many fishermen opposite me any more since an incident a few years ago that finished with them calling the Ecilop.

If you ever meet me in person I will tell you the story but its not one for on here :lol:

Julian

That doesn't seem like a real clever thing to do to the environment there.

In much the same way as Alexei Sayle claimed to be the victim of an assassination attempt when he received a carrier bag in the post with the warning not to put it over your head crossed out, perhaps someone could hack that page and edit out the last bit? :lol:

http://snurl.com/4kjvr [britishwaterways_co_uk]

Ask and ye shall receive... for a limited time.

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

Spread grass cuttings liberally around the boat and swim. Fishermen many of whom are sadistic, anti-social foul mouthed morons will not cast into it and if they start to complain use more with some gentle throttle to spread it around a bit, and yes I am seriously anti-fishermen. Many years of abuse, interference and obstruction even on one occasion having maggots thrown into a camping boat full of children have taught me to be so. Don't put up with it. Tell BW and keep on telling them until they respond. Abuse, especially obscene abuse, is assault and given enough evidence the police will treat it as such. Regards, HughC.

Jeez....grass cuttings, toilet chemicals in the water, running engines in gear whilst moored.....?

Fishermen many of whom are sadistic, anti-social foul mouthed morons ................. and yes I am seriously anti-fishermen.

Say what you mean, why don't you?

maggots thrown into a camping boat full of children

Totally unacceptable behaviour (and at £2.20 a pint, a waste of good bait!)

I'm both an angler and a boater, but right at this moment, after reading some of the comments on this thread, I'm quite ashamed to be either....

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Finding bloody great artificial fishing lures with 3 or 4 treble hooks stuck in my canopy once or twice a month tends to get my back up, so it's little wonder that I have no time for ignorant anglers who have the IQ of moths.

Thats the whole point real anglers ,and I use the term real, have no time for noddies with fishing rods masquerading as anglers. Our very own Janet started a thread on an angling forum about a year ago. Take a look.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forum/forummes...dt/4/UTN/24821/

Yep thats right complete idiots on both sides, so the anti angling/anti boating sagas will never be solved whilst ignorance abounds. Just to clarify 1066 I'm not suggesting for one moment that you are ignorant.

Spread grass cuttings liberally around the boat and swim. Fishermen many of whom are sadistic, anti-social foul mouthed morons will not cast into it and if they start to complain use more with some gentle throttle to spread it around a bit, and yes I am seriously anti-fishermen. Many years of abuse, interference and obstruction even on one occasion having maggots thrown into a camping boat full of children have taught me to be so. Don't put up with it. Tell BW and keep on telling them until they respond. Abuse, especially obscene abuse, is assault and given enough evidence the police will treat it as such. Regards, HughC.

We should be careful what we say to these fishermen then....

Jeez....grass cuttings, toilet chemicals in the water, running engines in gear whilst moored..ashamed be either....

Janet

I thought I had said what I meant to say. Coarse fishing causes pain to give pleasure and is therefore sadistic.

Foul mouthed describes the language to which fishermen have subjected me and mine to over many years. The frequent refusal to, for example, move off locking pins to allow safe operation and on more than one occasion actually fishing in a lock and refusing to move is surely ant-social behaviour. Moronic is perhaps a little strong, mindlessly aggressive might be more apt. The grass cutting solution was told to me by a man after specimen fish alongside our boat moored in the basin when we objected to him catching tame carp which we have watched for twenty years or more. Grass cuttings are of course environmentally benign otherwise BW contractors wouldn't spread it around so liberally.Regards, HughC

I thought I had said what I meant to say. Coarse fishing causes pain to give pleasure and is therefore sadistic.

Foul mouthed describes the language to which fishermen have subjected me and mine to over many years. The frequent refusal to, for example, move off locking pins to allow safe operation and on more than one occasion actually fishing in a lock and refusing to move is surely ant-social behaviour. Moronic is perhaps a little strong, mindlessly aggressive might be more apt. The grass cutting solution was told to me by a man after specimen fish alongside our boat moored in the basin when we objected to him catching tame carp which we have watched for twenty years or more. Grass cuttings are of course environmentally benign otherwise BW contractors wouldn't spread it around so liberally.Regards, HughC

Hugh

You certainly have a lot to be greived about and quite rightly so and the use of the word Moronic would be justly deserved.However your knowledge of Angling is non existant and is the root of these problems.

Hugh,

Let me hazard a guess, you have had experienced aggro from other sectors/people in life?

Do you really think all anglers are as you say? I mean ALL of them?

There is good and bad always in life in all sectors.

Rgds

Mark

No Hughc, that wasn't what you said at all....I think that's a whole different agenda, and perhaps a new thread, with persuasive arguments on both sides, but it is steering us off the original point of this particular topic, which is a problem experienced by a forum member, and what he can do about it. It's about the way anglers and boaters perceive each other, and how we can all be free to enjoy the waterways in our own particular way, without upsetting other users.

You (I assume) pay for your mooring and your licence etc? I pay for my club ticket, EA licence, boat insurance also. I consider that I have as much right to use the canal as you do, albeit in perhaps a different way. There is room for all of us on our inland waterways...boaters, anglers, dog walkers, cyclists, joggers...you name it. It's a public amenity, and it's there for all of us to share. We just need to find a way of doing it that doesn't intrude on the enjoyment of other users.

I can only speak from my own experience. I'm pleased to say that every angler I know, without exception, behaves responsibly. After all, if we don't, we stand to lose our club cards. None of our local clubs will tolerate anti-social behaviour such as you've described.

I suspect that many of the so called anglers causing the problems aren't actually anglers at all, but as Jeb said -

noddies with fishing rods masquerading as anglers

Education is what's needed, together with courtesy and respect for other users.

Janet

Education is what's needed, together with courtesy and respect for other users.

Janet

Thats right Janet but we have to remember you can only educate the ones that want to be educated.

When we had an 'issue' with finding ground bait and maggots all over the front of out boats one afternoon at Marsworth, i wrote an email to both the Angling Club Secretary and the BW Fisheries Officer, asking the club to remind it's members and visitors about the waterways code about not fishing near occupied boats.

I recieved quite a quick appology from the Angling Club. I can't remember if i got a reply from BW - it didn't matter as we didn't have cause to complain again.

Keep it civil and report the incident to the Angling Club and copy it to the BW Fisheries bod.

If you get no joy, request to be informed by BW when the fishing rights are up for renewal so that you can bid for them. That will make the club take notice for sure..... One marina with on line moorings did this to ensure no fishing!

Simon