fishing near my boat

Featured Posts

I don't know if they have any success but it does highlight the extremes that people will go.

Yes it's remarkable the extent some people will go to to pursue their hobby.

I've heard of some folk who have spent tens of thousands of pounds, to go boating.

Earlier this year there were two men fishing opposite right near Pillings Lock. The lock that leads to the river was open and these two chaps were fishing right up to it. As we were walking the dog past them one of them reeled in a half decent sized pike. While one of them was pratting about tring to take a picture with his camera the pike thrashed about a bit and the one that was holding the fish droppped it to the floor. I dont know if the fish was dead or just stunned because i was trying to usher the other half over the footbridge before she could give them a mouthfull and get us into a scrap. As we got over the bridge the prat that dropped it was swishing it about in the water to try to revive it. He could see us watching him and he looked very embarrased. They were both from a narrowboat moored right next to the same lock.

Kayak.

Yes it's remarkable the extent some people will go to to pursue their hobby.

I've heard of some folk who have spent tens of thousands of pounds, to go boating.

I spent 2k on my pole and it wasn't a particularly expensive one!...I remember one incident when an angler was caught short and had a dump in someones canal side hedge. He was spotted and subsequently named and shamed and barred for a year, the club secretary had to clear it up..Report all incidents clubs really do care about losing their local venues... :lol:

Edited by psychic_dog

Having had anglers keep poles in the water until I am near touching with the button and then lifting them, only to have the pole fall into pieces, and, at another place warning an angler that the little tortoise he had just caught had the bite of a bulldog and to use a metal tool to get it off his hook, then watch him scream in agony when he stuck his finger in the turtles mouth to free the hook (turtle still being attached to finger when we went round a bend 5 minutes later)...

I could go on about anglers pushing poles through garden hedges and even resting spare poles on the garden greenhouse, of a whole angling contest who seemed to deliberately place things to block walkers including a woman pushing a baby in a pram who were trying to walk along a towpath, while other anglers in the contest attacked a row of moored boats opposite with their rod tips and bait tins...

All but one of that lot happened on just one canal but from that canal came a little story told to me by the boater who it happened too...

At one point on this canal the towpath, often used by anglers, has a thich hedge behind it and beyond the hedge is a road which even has busses along it.

One day our boater is coming along the canal and he sees an angler hunched over his pole studiously ignoring the oncoming boat. The boat keeps coming with the angler playing chicken with his pole until, with the boat just feet away he starts to withdraw it through the hedge.

Now a few yards down the road from the spot where the pole is appearing through the hedge is a bus stop and at this very second a bus is moving off from it towards the rod.

The boater - seeing this - yells to the angler who ignores him - at whisch point the bus runs over the back end of the pole.

This causes the angler to start pulling the pole, or what remains of it forward into the path of the boat which goes straight over the front end.

The last view the boater had of the angler was of him doing a sort of war dance on the towpath first towards the fast receeding bus and then towards the boat, waving a 6' bit of pole snapped off at both ends.

Expensive things angling poles

As I suggested to one very obnoxious chappie on our last trip - it's a shame there's a maggot on both ends of your line.

I spent 2k on my pole and it wasn't a particularly expensive one!...I remember one incident when an angler was caught short and had a dump in someones canal side hedge. He was spotted and subsequently named and shamed and barred for a year, the club secretary had to clear it up..Report all incidents clubs really do care about losing their local venues... :lol:

Two thousand pounds for a fishing pole? That's absolutely mental!

We took a boat over to Ireland a few years ago. The anglers over there on the Barrow were an absolute nightmare. They were not at all grumpy, quite the opposite infact. They were all so surprised to see a boat and wanted to spend hours chatting. It was really nice - unless you had somewhere to be.

In the UK I find most anglers fall into two groups. They are either friendly and give you a nod or they are misserable bu**ers who are only there because it is sightly less bad than being at home. Fortunately most fall into the former catagory.

As said above - those who are muppets are not really proper anglers (same can be said for boaters!)

Edited by Satellite

Hi 1066,

:lol:

Touch your toes and you can have them all .... pillock.

I think perhaps you may have misunderstood the intention behind Bazza's post - I know Bazza, and I also know that was a genuine offer to perhaps put a bit of money your way. If I was a lure angler, I'd probably have made you the same offer myself.

Janet

Janet, looking where you're from I'd hope you know the stretch past Rufford top on the L&L.

I used to moor up there and every year we'd be engulfed with anglers when match season started.

They were by far the greatest contributors to the crisp packet/butty bag collection I've seen. Whenever there was a match they'd leave mounds of bait on the ground, leave their poles across the towpath and obstruct the towpath completely; generally ruining the environment for everybody.

Complaints to the referees fell on accepting but eventually deaf ears.

i think if you were going to convince me that anglers for the most part cared you'd need to ban not only roach poles that simply obstruct whatever they're crossing but every single butty bag contributor, I'd imagine I'd have a lot less anglers to trip me up on my way for a morning paper.

Now we're down here, running the stretch through Alvechurch reaps much the same rewards, although not in match quantities.

In the spirit of impartiality I'd be interested to look at that link to your thread on the angling board but I've no time now.

Why when anglers clear up do they tie up their carrier bags to the fence, do they expect other people to come along and collect them .

I would imagine some anglers do that for the same reason some boaters do :lol: There are lazy dirty scruffy types in all walks of life.

I will say that angling clubs down here organise regular workparties (at some clubs they are compulsory) that include litter picking and we do pick up all rubbish, weather its from boaters, anglers, walkers, cyclists etc.

Ok. Let's do so....I'll let you start...

Yes, my EA rod license money goes to the EA. I never said othewise.

My club ticket money goes to my clubs and from there it goes from them to BW at whatever the negotiated fee for the lease of the stretch of canal is. Yes, you may see angling tickets advertised for just a few pounds a day to recoup some outlay, but please bear in mind that these clubs may have paid a considerable amount for the rights to fish that particular stretch. I'm currently a member of four clubs with several hundred members between them, and I pay membership fees totalling over £100 per annum, as well as paying for day tickets for stretches where I'm not a member. Multiply my fees by the several hundred other members and day tickets issued on the bank, and it's clear that us anglers DO pay our way.

An angler using a couple of feet of bank doesn't make quite as much use of the canal amenites as boaters do, surely?

Keep it in proportion please, and remember that the canals aren't solely for boaters...they should be available to all. There has to be space for everyone.

Janet

Sorry to labour the point and this is in no way a personal attack but lets look at what you say.

You pay "over £100 per annum". For this you get 365/24/7 access to BW waters except where club regulations prohibit it. The length of "peg" (which I assume is the space accepted as that required by a single fisherman) is getting on for the length of a 25ft boat and its this space you are paying for.

Not all that £100+ goes to BW.The club will need some for running expenses and when I was a member of RDAA their fisheries included the Kennet navigation (BW) The rivers Kennet & Thames (riparian owners) and a number of gravel pits, so my fees must have been split to pay rental on all those waters, only one of which is BW. I have no reason to think the majority (apart from small local clubs) are significantly different.

Not knowing your club, but basing it on RDAA I suspect you £100 only returns between £20 & £40 to BW. Even with bank-side fees I can not see you contributing more than £60 per year.

Now I bet an awful of on line moorers would be falling over themselves to pay £40 per year per 25ft (or even £100) and as this thread shows fishermen think they can fish under the boat - try mooring on a peg during a fishing match.

I would love to pay £200 (25ft x 2) for my right to use the canals. Sorry, until I see actual proof the the contrary I will not accept fishermen and boaters are being charged on an equitable basis.

I think it was you that asserted that many of the fishermen behaving in an unacceptable manner are not "anglers" . This may well be true BUT angling clubs seem to have the right to employ bailiffs, but from my experience few do and those that do only seem to collect fees. If the clubs had adequate bailiff cover then many of the problems could be dealt with (and the litter that one finds so often, but boaters are just as bad about that). The fact that the complaints in this and every other similar thread seem eternal points to either tacit acceptance of such behaviour or lack of bailiff cover. Either reflects badly upon the clubs.

I note the angling Reading West MP was reported to have said that boats on the restored K&A were upsetting the fishing and their numbers needed controlling (or something very similar). Then we have the reports mentioned elsewhere in the thread. These seem to indicate very many fisherperson's views are that boats and boaters should take second place to fishing.

I can see no evidence that members of clubs renting BW waters pay anything like an equitable fee to BW and I see plenty of evidence they fail to police the users of the rented section to an adequate level. In 9 years of boating I have only seen one bailiff tackling anti-social behaviour and that was by local youth who were apparently disturbing the fishery.

Sorry to labour the point and this is in no way a personal attack but lets look at what you say.

You pay "over £100 per annum". For this you get 365/24/7 access to BW waters except where club regulations prohibit it. The length of "peg" (which I assume is the space accepted as that required by a single fisherman) is getting on for the length of a 25ft boat and its this space you are paying for.

Not all that £100+ goes to BW.The club will need some for running expenses and when I was a member of RDAA their fisheries included the Kennet navigation (BW) The rivers Kennet & Thames (riparian owners) and a number of gravel pits, so my fees must have been split to pay rental on all those waters, only one of which is BW. I have no reason to think the majority (apart from small local clubs) are significantly different.

Not knowing your club, but basing it on RDAA I suspect you £100 only returns between £20 & £40 to BW. Even with bank-side fees I can not see you contributing more than £60 per year.

Now I bet an awful of on line moorers would be falling over themselves to pay £40 per year per 25ft (or even £100) and as this thread shows fishermen think they can fish under the boat - try mooring on a peg during a fishing match.

I would love to pay £200 (25ft x 2) for my right to use the canals. Sorry, until I see actual proof the the contrary I will not accept fishermen and boaters are being charged on an equitable basis.

I think it was you that asserted that many of the fishermen behaving in an unacceptable manner are not "anglers" . This may well be true BUT angling clubs seem to have the right to employ bailiffs, but from my experience few do and those that do only seem to collect fees. If the clubs had adequate bailiff cover then many of the problems could be dealt with (and the litter that one finds so often, but boaters are just as bad about that). The fact that the complaints in this and every other similar thread seem eternal points to either tacit acceptance of such behaviour or lack of bailiff cover. Either reflects badly upon the clubs.

I note the angling Reading West MP was reported to have said that boats on the restored K&A were upsetting the fishing and their numbers needed controlling (or something very similar). Then we have the reports mentioned elsewhere in the thread. These seem to indicate very many fisherperson's views are that boats and boaters should take second place to fishing.

I can see no evidence that members of clubs renting BW waters pay anything like an equitable fee to BW and I see plenty of evidence they fail to police the users of the rented section to an adequate level. In 9 years of boating I have only seen one bailiff tackling anti-social behaviour and that was by local youth who were apparently disturbing the fishery.

A fair point made (almost)

If you wanted exclusive fishing rights to a stretch of canal you would expect to pay thousands for the privilage, however most anglers realise that spreading the cost over a number of anglers is more practical and so form clubs/associations and syndicates.

Boaters who wish to spread the cost tend to use 'shareboat' schemes, if a boater requires the boat to himself he can pay the licence and travel almost the whole system legally that option is not available to an angler unless he joins a huge number of clubs and associations (very expensive)

Having seen pig ignorant, beligerant selfish behavoir by boaters both towards anglers and other boaters, many many times and the reverse situation very few times, it strikes me that boaters seem to be very NIMBY/selfish about sharing 'their' waterway :lol: with other users.

Paul

A fair point made (almost)

If you wanted exclusive fishing rights to a stretch of canal you would expect to pay thousands for the privilage, however most anglers realise that spreading the cost over a number of anglers is more practical and so form clubs/associations and syndicates.

Boaters who wish to spread the cost tend to use 'shareboat' schemes, if a boater requires the boat to himself he can pay the licence and travel almost the whole system legally that option is not available to an angler unless he joins a huge number of clubs and associations (very expensive)

Having seen pig ignorant, beligerant selfish behavoir by boaters both towards anglers and other boaters, many many times and the reverse situation very few times, it strikes me that boaters seem to be very NIMBY/selfish about sharing 'their' waterway :lol: with other users.

Paul

I wonder how often you pass anglers on a boat to say boaters are the real baddies. I once got some post from BW which was obviously for anglers and not boaters as it implied BW were one with anglers in feeling that the boats were a bit much being on the cut and that Boaters were really unable to realise (as the regional BW man did) that anglers had rights and should be given water without boats for their competitions. I sent the stuff to a boating organisation - who later told me they had lost it!

In fact while some canals are noted for anti social anglers (and these are often in contests as I always ask) on other canals the coming of the enemy bikers have turned anglers in to being friendly.

On one canal passing anglers have told stories of mates attacked by bikers - one had an arm broken while others had gear hurled into the cut. It's noticable on this canal that the anglers rarely put stuff on the hard surface part of the towpath - preferring to exist on the small grass strip between path and cut. Having seen some of the local bikers in action I can't blame them as some of the bikers seem rather nasty. (When moored we saw one collided with another then the little one screamed insults until the big one picked him up by the throat...)

The only weird thing about all the friendly anglers along here (57smiles out of 80 anglers) is the smiles - nice but you hope they don't hurt themselves.

One day last week our neighbour said he was eating his lunch when the boat suddenly starting swaying, he popped his head out of the back hatch to find 2 'fishermen' sat on the back deck quite happily setting up for a good days fishing. When he asked them what they thought they were doing they replied 'sorry mate, didn't realise you was in' !!!!! :lol:

Being far more polite than I, he just told them they were trespassing and to clear off.

One day last week our neighbour said he was eating his lunch when the boat suddenly starting swaying, he popped his head out of the back hatch to find 2 'fishermen' sat on the back deck quite happily setting up for a good days fishing. When he asked them what they thought they were doing they replied 'sorry mate, didn't realise you was in' !!!!! :lol:

Being far more polite than I, he just told them they were trespassing and to clear off.

I would have been tempted to say "It's £5 each for the fishing and we do bacon sandwiches for £2 each tea is 50p" :lol:

I often wonder what effect, good or bad, passing boats have on fish. When we are traveling on clear water I like to watch the fish as we travel along and from what I could see the effect is zero. whilst on the Nene and Middle Level I often saw pike just laying there without moving and other fish swimming back and forth both towards and away from the boat.

Another thing, if anglers enjoy fishing so much, why do they pack all their gear away as soon as a match ends, even if its a sunny lunch time. Why don't they continue fishing until tea time?

This year I have not seen anywhere near as may fishing matches taking place as in the past and I have spent more time on the boat this year.