Paint my engine

Featured Posts

Why not, as long as you can get it thoroughly degreased. Plenty of old newspapers under it to catch the inevitable drips. I would use "machinery and engine paint" because it tends to be heat-resistant, covers well, and I was told it tends to be more tolerant of less than ideal prep.

Do people keep their engines in special glass cabinets? 

i can't see why the paint would make any difference unless the unit is in a terribly damp atmosphere in which case it might be better to arrange sensible ventilation. 

If painting a Diesel engine it seems to me it should be a light cream or silver colour so one can see it properly. 

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

i can't see why the paint would make any difference ...

It only makes a difference to the aesthetic appearance, which is the idea I think.

I don't really understand your glass cabinet comment. There's no practical need to paint an engine, but engine manufacturers seem to do it fairly regularly without supplying glass cabinets with them. There's also no real need to paint the inside of some dry engine rooms but they tend to look better painted.

Edited by blackrose

Painting engines is a branding thing in a way. 

I can see why they are painted but I am not sure why one would need to repaint the thing. 

As for unpainted steel one of the problems with doing this is if you were to brush clothing against it then the light rusting would come off onto the garment. A lot of people would not like that. An unpainted dry steel panel is never going to rust through from that side obviously but it makes a shocking mess of one's blazer. 

Edited by magnetman
edited for a number of different reasons

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

Do people keep their engines in special glass cabinets? 

i can't see why the paint would make any difference unless the unit is in a terribly damp atmosphere in which case it might be better to arrange sensible ventilation. 

If painting a Diesel engine it seems to me it should be a light cream or silver colour so one can see it properly. 

Of course its damp, you have to have the engine open in daylight hours, regardless of weather so people can look in and go Oooo Arrrr

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I understand/believe BMC’s were painted depending on what degree of reconditioning they’d had.

Gold or Silver. 

https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/be100a.htm

mine’s gold 😃

Yes, I remeber all those dodgy adverts for gold and silver recon BMC's.  I wonder if they did a bronze version too....no recon at all, straight from the scrapyard with a quick coat paint 😀.

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, I remeber all those dodgy adverts for gold and silver recon BMC's.  I wonder if they did a bronze version too....no recon at all, straight from the scrapyard with a quick coat paint 😀.

Talking of golden, I’ve discovered a new (to us) bar!

Its very good, I won’t tell you where but instead will keep you in suspense til we meet again. 

5 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Talking of golden, I’ve discovered a new (to us) bar!

Its very good, I won’t tell you where but instead will keep you in suspense til we meet again. 

Do they sell BMC recons?   or maybe Golden Glow?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dmr said:

BMC used to paint their engines to stop the oil leaks.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It is the early detection of leaks that makes me favour a clean engine painted in a lighter colour, so stains are more obvious.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, magnetman said:

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

It is the early detection of leaks that makes me favour a clean engine painted in a lighter colour, so stains are more obvious.

Yes 

Also if the unit is painted in a colour close to white it will generally reflect more light and therefore be easier to work on it unexpected situations when it might be a bit dark. 

6 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But it didn't work

I did have an A series in one car that dis not leak oil but I think that was unique 

4 hours ago, Momac said:

But it didn't work

I did have an A series in one car that dis not leak oil but I think that was unique 

I had a Riley Elf that didn't leak any oil (except for the time I changed the oil and didn't tighten up the bolt securing the oil filter... 😒)

4 hours ago, Momac said:

But it didn't work

Ha! Almost certainly it had completely run out of oil, or the oil was so full of gunge it wouldn't leak even if the sump was cracked, you have to love the old A series - almost as awful as the K series (why build an engine that the bolts holding on the head also hold on the sump?)

A clean, painted engine, not only looks good, it's easier to work on without getting covered in centuries old oil and grime

7 minutes ago, manxmike said:

A clean, painted engine, not only looks good, it's easier to work on without getting covered in centuries old oil and grime

I agree 

Also if kept clean , which in many cases is not really very challenging, its easier to spot any developing fluid leaks. 

23 hours ago, magnetman said:

I can see why they are painted but I am not sure why one would need to repaint the thing. 

Because some of them aren't very well prepped and painted by the manufacturer or mariniser in the first place and the paint flakes off after several years. That's the case with mine anyway.

As I said, the only real reason to repaint them would be for aesthetic reasons. As you can see from pictures in this thread, a nicely painted engine looks impressive.

Edited by blackrose