Different sort of boat

Featured Posts

I love it!

Its even got Solar Power!

Brilliant,

The owner / builder of that boat and I must share the same sense of fun.

It gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "about to descend the lock"!!! :D

• Greenie 1

I'm not sure if it's the draught that's the issue? The air draught looks a bit high but I guess it depends where it's moored. A sense of humour is fine until you can't get it under a bridge - assuming it moves?

Edited by blackrose

These ones were made for navy recruitment or something weren't they? 

some sort of marketing thing I can't remember the details. Someone will know..

I might be thinking of something else. 

Interesting approach. Dark inside. Must be quite deep or it would tip over. 

It isn't one of the RN ones

RN%20Fleet[1].jpg

Apparently the Boat in the OP was made using a modified gas tank which explains why it is circular in section. 

Interesting article maybe it has ballast tanks and can be flooded to lower air draft. The hole at the stern end which looks like an exhaust pipe is curious. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

I think it is the one built by an eccentric who has since been sent to prison for something. It has appeared in the mags and on here in the past.

The Navy one looked far more like a real sub than this one.

16 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think it is the one built by an eccentric who has since been sent to prison for something. It has appeared in the mags and on here in the past.

Iirc the navy ones were built by John Pinder.

• Happy 1

24 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

This grey one looks more realistic to me than the navy sub. The latter seems to just be a modified ordinary narrow hull. 

RN%20Fleet[1].jpg

its even got a bow fender !

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

This grey one looks more realistic to me than the navy sub. The latter seems to just be a modified ordinary narrow hull. 

RN%20Fleet[1].jpg

its even got a bow fender !

The old navy sub is quite close to you and I am surprised you have not seen it. It was given to Steadfast Sea Cadets in Kingston upon Thames and they converted it back to a cruising narrowboat 

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

The old navy sub is quite close to you and I am surprised you have not seen it. It was given to Steadfast Sea Cadets in Kingston upon Thames and they converted it back to a cruising narrowboat 

A friend of mine from primary school owned the ex-submarine one a few years back. 

32 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I hadn't noticed it. I remember Steadfast SC by the railway bridge when we lived there in the late 80s they had a nice wooden tug boat. 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I hadn't noticed it. I remember Steadfast SC by the railway bridge when we lived there in the late 80s they had a nice wooden tug boat. 

It arrived at Steadfast between the summer of 81 and 84. We were moored at Parman Marine and remember seeing it. We moved to Platts Ait 1984 ish.

10 minutes ago, Tonka said:

It arrived at Steadfast between the summer of 81 and 84. We were moored at Parman Marine and remember seeing it. We moved to Platts Ait 1984 ish.

I remember Parman Marine. We got a house in Lower Teddington Road below the trot moorings in 86. Left in 96. 

Parman marine did the Hardys and some Birchwood TS31/37. I remember they also had a good crane. All flats there now of course and Gridley Miskins is flats as well although there are still some moorings where Parman marine was. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I'm not sure if it's the draught that's the issue? The air draught looks a bit high but I guess it depends where it's moored. A sense of humour is fine until you can't get it under a bridge - assuming it moves?

Going by the state of the bow paint, perhaps we can guess how it manages . . . 

• Haha 1

I would not refuse it as an addition to the fleet. 

I found this float after the floods. It is going to be painted grey, have a conning tower on it, submerged a little bit and be kept alongside the light cruiser. 

Might even look at remote control. It is hollow rotomoulded with a drain plug no foam in it. 

IMG_20240314_153514.thumb.jpg.09178a4b99263e6e40ae3997454791ad.jpg

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I remember Parman Marine. We got a house in Lower Teddington Road below the trot moorings in 86. Left in 96. 

Parman marine did the Hardys and some Birchwood TS31/37. I remember they also had a good crane. All flats there now of course and Gridley Miskins is flats as well although there are still some moorings where Parman marine was. 

We were neighbours for a while then. I lived on Trowlock Island from 87 to 90... probably saw you in the White Hart or the Tide End Cottage 🙂

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

No it's not that one Tony, this one is on Beverly beck, its shorter than the other one based on a narrowboat,  it made us smile anyway 

47 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

We were neighbours for a while then. I lived on Trowlock Island from 87 to 90... probably saw you in the White Hart or the Tide End Cottage 🙂

I didn't go to pubs. We had a Broom Scorpio called Bertie which I was usually in. Went round the back of trowlock island regularly - a bit shallow towards the downstream end. 

1 hour ago, magnetman said:

I didn't go to pubs. We had a Broom Scorpio called Bertie which I was usually in. Went round the back of trowlock island regularly - a bit shallow towards the downstream end. 

So round past Glynn - "Dave the barman" from Minder 👍

We were on the mainstream side of the island -- the house with an Enfield 350 on the patio -- and an open 14' boat called the Donald Fettes which we'd take up into the town or over to Canbury Park. Happy days. The guy I shared with is still on the reach on a converted Broads boat below the railway bridge.

I think i remember Bertie, but it may just be the power of suggestion!

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Bacchus said:

So round past Glynn - "Dave the barman" from Minder 👍

We were on the mainstream side of the island -- the house with an Enfield 350 on the patio -- and an open 14' boat called the Donald Fettes which we'd take up into the town or over to Canbury Park. Happy days. The guy I shared with is still on the reach on a converted Broads boat below the railway bridge.

I think i remember Bertie, but it may just be the power of suggestion!

Yes I remember the Minder bloke he had a short wide beam canal Boat when they were very unusual. Canopy over the back deck made from a market stall tarpaulin. Red and white striped thing. I think the Boat was a springer but about 

10ft wide rather than being narrow. 

That broads Boat below the railway bridge wouldn't be the Chuffalumps by any chance would it ? An old Wildes Carribbean cruiser which at some point had the cabin top raised to improve headroom. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes I remember the Minder bloke he had a short wide beam canal Boat when they were very unusual. Canopy over the back deck made from a market stall tarpaulin. Red and white striped thing. I think the Boat was a springer but about 

That broads Boat below the railway bridge wouldn't be the Chuffalumps by any chance would it ? An old Wildes Carribbean cruiser which at some point had the cabin top raised to improve headroom. 

Whilst we are talking about celebs. Derek Thompson (Charlie Fairhead in Casualty) twin sister Elaine used to live on a boat moored at Parman Marine. 

Jenny Hanley from Magpie used to run the Swan at Thames Ditton

• Greenie 1

35 minutes ago, magnetman said:

He did have a short wide-beam, and also an indian canoe which he used to paddle around the island of an evening, serenading his Mrs (c:

The broads boat isn't Chuffalumps (not sure if Chuffalumps is still there), but is a Frank Wildes Caribbean with the roof raised and wheelhouse added! Literally took a circular saw to the sides, raised the roof about 18" on acrows, glassed steel supports in throughout the length of the boat, then patched in the sides. He built the wheelhouse from Iroko with a forward-slanting front window, and called it the world's first Broads-Trawler 🤣

41 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

He did have a short wide-beam, and also an indian canoe which he used to paddle around the island of an evening, serenading his Mrs (c:

The broads boat isn't Chuffalumps (not sure if Chuffalumps is still there), but is a Frank Wildes Caribbean with the roof raised and wheelhouse added! Literally took a circular saw to the sides, raised the roof about 18" on acrows, glassed steel supports in throughout the length of the boat, then patched in the sides. He built the wheelhouse from Iroko with a forward-slanting front window, and called it the world's first Broads-Trawler 🤣

I had to Google as I thought Glynn Edwards was married to Yootha Joyce but they divorced in 1969 so it wasn't her