Different sort of boat

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

He did have a short wide-beam, and also an indian canoe which he used to paddle around the island of an evening, serenading his Mrs (c:

The broads boat isn't Chuffalumps (not sure if Chuffalumps is still there), but is a Frank Wildes Caribbean with the roof raised and wheelhouse added! Literally took a circular saw to the sides, raised the roof about 18" on acrows, glassed steel supports in throughout the length of the boat, then patched in the sides. He built the wheelhouse from Iroko with a forward-slanting front window, and called it the world's first Broads-Trawler 🤣

I'm going past there in early April so will have a look. 

I believe Chuffalumps is still there. A friend of mine had a mother who lived on it in the early 90s. it was a Wildes carribbean but had been modified and had a shaft drive inboard rather than the rather dodgy side mounted unit with the hydraulic drive.

Yes it got sold and someone cut the top and raised it. Pretty sure it is the same Boat maybe the name changed. It was in the middle of the finger moorings bows pointing out into the River. 

I have a vivid memory of being on Chuffalumps in about 1990 a bit the worse for wear we had the Squirrel fire going it got too hot and James thought it might be clever to pour water down the flue from outside. 

It wasn't. First and only time I have seen what happens if one does this. 

Nobody injured but it made a bit of a mess. 

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Whilst we are talking about celebs. Derek Thompson (Charlie Fairhead in Casualty) twin sister Elaine used to live on a boat moored at Parman Marine. 

Jenny Hanley from Magpie used to run the Swan at Thames Ditton

We were in Grove cottage. A few doors down there was apparently some bloke from The Who but we were generally far too aloof to be concerned with these sorts of issues. 

Photo from our jetty in about 1990. 

IMG_20240320_203024.jpg.269f0fcd2f66f4dc8a9f3c9e718d3f59.jpg

In 30 yars of living and travelling on Boats I still have not seen another pony or horse in a riverside garden. 

Needless to say the Grove suffered a fairly terrible side extension at some stage but that was before we had the cottage.