Cooking Oil dumped in GU Paddington.

matty40s

Featured Posts

There appears to be a large pipeline running across the aqueduct below waterline I wonder if it came from there. A factory immediately adjacent which always smells of food. 

52 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

Question is does it dissolve bitumen?

Very effectively. Even the hardened stuff.

In the past I have used clean cooking oil to get blacking out of my hair post docking.  Then shampoo.

N

7 hours ago, pete23 said:

Could you capture it filter it and run one’s vessel on it??

seems like a opportunity missed to me..

Not sure about the engines but I would like to experiment with drip feeding used cooking oil into the woodburner.

It Clcould be interesting if done right. Lots of calorific value. 

The sunflower oil left in a tin of mackerel goes off like a bomb when dropped on a hot fire ! 

A day tank with metal pipes and a tap. Bulkhead fitting through top of the fire. 

Might work I have heard of it being done with old lube oil but it must make a mucky flue and stink a bit outside.

• Horror 1

One of the restaurants by Gas Street got caught at this a few years ago. Contents of the deep fryer straight out the back door, several times.

A friend (who might see this post 😉) used to run his car on the stuff.

Edited by Francis Herne

17 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I know of someone who runs a RN DM2 and his Land Rover using waste cooking oil. 

Tug deck Clyde or Clent? had a triple filter system using any old waste oil for its engine.

Kyle 😁

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, matty40s said:

Cooking oil has been illegally dumped in the GU over a 6 mile stretch West of Paddington. Source is yet unknown, but it is costing CRT £10k a day to continue the clean up operation.

See BBC London.

Would have cost less if they’d not taken six days before doing anything about it!

4 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Would have cost less if they’d not taken six days before doing anything about it!

Last autumn there was another spillage of something that spread on the surface. It was surprising just how many miles it spread, from somewhere in Southall to Bulls Bridge and even for a short distance up the Grand Union. A bird charity was checking near where we first saw the spillage but it seems otherwise not too much harm to wildlife (if there is any left in that stretch!)

8 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Last autumn there was another spillage of something that spread on the surface. It was surprising just how many miles it spread, from somewhere in Southall to Bulls Bridge and even for a short distance up the Grand Union. A bird charity was checking near where we first saw the spillage but it seems otherwise not too much harm to wildlife (if there is any left in that stretch!)

Anyone remember the experiment from chemistry where you spread a drop of oil on the surface of water and looked at the pretty colours and how far it spread?

A very thin layer forms, which means a small amount of oil spreads an awfully long way given enough time... 😞

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

I know of someone who runs a RN DM2 and his Land Rover using waste cooking oil. 

Tug deck Clyde or Clent? had a triple filter system using any old waste oil for its engine.

I doubt the oil in question was skimmed off the surface of a waterway. 

25 minutes ago, IanD said:

Anyone remember the experiment from chemistry where you spread a drop of oil on the surface of water and looked at the pretty colours and how far it spread?

A very thin layer forms, which means a small amount of oil spreads an awfully long way given enough time... 😞

Yes, that and seeing someone drop a bottle of vodka in Hudds bus station and being amazed at how far down the stands it spread :) Clean up on aisle all-of-them :D 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Physics?

All I remember about physics was being told again and again that a white radiator was more effective than a black radiator. I was stubborn about the black radiator being more effective. 

Teachers constantly told me that the white radiator is more efficient. I never believed them and had x marked on my tests. 

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

All I remember about physics was being told again and again that a white radiator was more effective than a black radiator. I was stubborn about the black radiator being more effective. 

Teachers constantly told me that the white radiator is more efficient. I never believed them and had x marked on my tests. 

You were both wrong, there's negligible difference... 😉