Willeymoor Lock Pub

PCSB

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, agg221 said:

Yes, but most pubs say yes if asked, or if they say no you have other options for parking in the vicinity.

Alec

If by 'most' you mean about 60/40 in favour, then I'd agree.  But in my experience, quite a lot of pubs say no.  I remember Olive's daughter (Elaine?) at the Anchor, High Offley being very firm about this, despite having loads of space and nowhere else nearby to park.

Edited by doratheexplorer

2 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If by 'most' you mean about 60/40 in favour, then I'd agree.  But in my experience, quite a lot of pubs say no.  I remember Olive's daughter (Elaine?) at the Anchor, High Offley being very firm about this, despite having loads of space and nowhere else nearby to park.

Perhaps in places where there is nowhere else to park publicans have found out by bitter experience that if they allow parking it becomes a problem for them.

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

They have a limited food menu as well. Let's hope @Tracy D'arthdoesn't go there or she will be trying to close it

• Unimpressed 1

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Perhaps in places where there is nowhere else to park publicans have found out by bitter experience that if they allow parking it becomes a problem for them.

From the Willeymoor website:

"THERE IS NO PUBLIC RIGHT OF WAY AND NO PUBLIC ACCESS TO THE CANAL TOWPATH ALONG OUR DRIVE CAR PARK OR BRIDGE
Customer parking only
We have ample parking for customers on our private car park 
Please be aware that the drive, car park and foot bridge are private property and are offered for customer use whist visiting the pub, there is no public right of way.

If you would like to combine a walk in the area with a visit to the pub please call and pre-book.

Charges apply for all non customer cars :- £10 per day per car
(this provides up to 12 hours parking from 10am - 10pm strictly no overnight stays unless authorized)

We respectfully request that any customers intending to leave a car and get a taxi home after visiting the pub inform one of our team
(this is essential for Insurance purposes)."

That doesn't sound like they *won't* let customers stay overnight if necessary (as suggested in an earlier post), but that you need to ask them and get permission.

Also that the reason is insurance -- though this seems strange, you'd have thought cars would be covered by the driver's insurance so the pub shouldn't care...

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1

I don't know but I wonder if their own car insurance would be affected by the fact that is is a private car park as opposed to one open to the public. I think where your vehicle is parked when not in use has a bearing on your premium.

25 minutes ago, haggis said:

I don't know but I wonder if their own car insurance would be affected by the fact that is is a private car park as opposed to one open to the public. I think where your vehicle is parked when not in use has a bearing on your premium.

I recently found out that the Insurance I had on my Kawasaki Mule gave me cover on the road, but had no third party cover 'on the farm', but all of the implements & trailers "normally" attached to it were still insured if, when last used, they had been attached to the Mule.

You really do have to read the T&C very carefully.

52 minutes ago, haggis said:

It does, but that's where it's normally parked (e.g. overnight) because this affects the risk of theft or damage***. I can't imaging parking overnight once in a private car park would matter to the car insurer, any more than parking on private land anywhere else does. Whether it has some effect on the pub's insurance is another matter, but I don't see how this is likely to happen...

*** I read that when asked where you normally park your car, people tend to say "in a garage" because they think that's lower risk (of theft) than on the drive in front of it -- but a lot more people damage their cars parking them in a garage than get them stolen, so it can be cheaper to say "on the drive"...

I wasn't thinking about the person wanting to use the car park but the car owners who live in the pub. If members of the public were allowed to park overnight their response to "where is the car kept ?" would have to be in a public car park . However, if no cars allowed to park there overnight they can say "in a private car park" I think this would have a bearing on their premiums.  I appreciate that for punters to park there for one night wouldn't affect their insurance  and that is not what I said 🙂 

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, haggis said:

I wasn't thinking about the person wanting to use the car park but the car owners who live in the pub. If members of the public were allowed to park overnight their response to "where is the car kept ?" would have to be in a public car park . However, if no cars allowed to park there overnight they can say "in a private car park" I think this would have a bearing on their premiums.  I appreciate that for punters to park there for one night wouldn't affect their insurance  and that is not what I said 🙂 

I'd have thought that just because you allow members of the public to park there overnight doesn't make it a public car park, any more than all the other (privately-owned) places people can park overnight -- including the drive in front of your own house, if there's space and you let them. But maybe it is something to do with *their* car insurance, not anyone else's.

I suppose whoever visits the pub next could ask them, they were very friendly when I talked to them about all the other issues of running an isolated country pub... 😉

Edited by IanD

44 minutes ago, haggis said:

I think it might be something to do with the owners of a private car park becoming liable for something like injuries?

I wouldn’t think it’d have affect on a punters car insurance as such. More to do with the owners being responsible for what goes on in their car park. I’m just guessing. Some sort of public liability thing.

It might also be a polite way of saying sod off 😃🤷‍♀️

54 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'd have thought that just because you allow members of the public to park there overnight doesn't make it a public car park, any more than all the other (privately-owned) places people can park overnight -- including the drive in front of your own house, if there's space and you let them. But maybe it is something to do with *their* car insurance, not anyone else's.

I suppose whoever visits the pub next could ask them, they were very friendly when I talked to them about all the other issues of running an isolated country pub... 😉

Perhaps it is to do with the insurance of the property/business, underwriters might consider a vehicle that nobody knows the owner/origin is more likely to be a "neer do well" than one that the proprietors have Oked.

We got told by a pub that we couldn't moor overnight against their bank for insurance reasons, happy during the day. That was after being there all afternoon and changed ready for dinner in the said pub. I think the word insurance is a "get out of jail" comment 

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We got told by a pub that we couldn't moor overnight against their bank for insurance reasons, happy during the day. That was after being there all afternoon and changed ready for dinner in the said pub. I think the word insurance is a "get out of jail" comment 

Perhaps the jetty and/or bank is dangerous in the dark due to lack of lighting

1 hour ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I think it might be something to do with the owners of a private car park becoming liable for something like injuries?

Just wondering - is a typical multistory NCP car park, public or private ?

It is owned by an 'individual' and you pay to park there.

Thoughts ?

27 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thoughts ?

I don’t know,

I think in the case of the Willymoore they’re simply being protective about their land, they’ve only limited space and perhaps folk have abused their generosity in the past,

leaving a car for a night has turned out to be a week,

maybe boaters have parked their cars and not used the pub for the time they’ve been on the moorings,

I know this has happened at the Anchor which was mentioned earlier,

I’ve seen walkers and cyclists pull up in pub car parks all over the place and disappear for the day and not use the pub,

probably have the cheek to use the pub toilets too before driving off,

won’t bother the big managed pubs but would piss off the smaller family owned pub, 

so on the one hand I can understand them politely refusing an overnight stay,

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thoughts ?

In another context I once worked with legislation that defined a 'public place' as including places to which the public only had access on payment of a fee.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thoughts ?

It's private land and calling it a public car park only signifies that it is made available to Joe Public on payment.

Whilst it is both private land and not (usually) part of the highway, it would be a contravention of the Road Traffic Act not to have third party insurance.  In practice this means no under age driving lessons.

• Greenie 1