Robot Vacuum on a narrowboat?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, MJG said:

And often there is just no need for it.  And yes you do mock newbies. 

eg 

Obviously Newbie boaters who work in IT(😂) only want to bash the keys of a computer and don’t want to do any form of manual work like hovering or get hands on fixing their boats. Getting a Robot Vacuum to clean a couple of meters of centre aisle on a Narrowboat, seams to sum up the new generation of floaters living on boats.

That is the very definition of mocking someone. A tone and form of words you repeatedly adopt. Oh and by the way it's 'hoovering' not 'hovering', hovering is what drones or hovercraft do.

I can pull up other examples if you wish?

As for a robot vacuums, well as you ask I wouldn't bother with one. A rechargeable handheld would be a better option as that gives scope for vacuuming higher up parts of the boat such as top cabin corners and the edge between the sides and roof. That is what we used and it was fine. We could recharge it using the inverter whilst the boat was moving.

Obviously stalking me long term and probably others on here who you seam to want to argue with😂😂👍

34 minutes ago, MJG said:

As for a robot vacuums, well as you ask I wouldn't bother with one. A rechargeable handheld would be a better option as that gives scope for vacuuming higher up parts of the boat such as top cabin corners and the edge between the sides and roof. That is what we used and it was fine. We could recharge it using the inverter whilst the boat was moving.

I would agree with this. We have a dyson handheld, one of the V series. Mrs R reckons its much better than lugging the old style vacuum around, and of course, being portable is useful for cleaning the car. The battery can be charged from 12V, and there is even an adapter that allows the use of standard Dewalt power tool batteries.No expereince of a robovac, but I should imagine in the narrow confines of a boat it will just zigzag all over the place, be a trip hazzard and not do a very good job of reaching the edges and corners, and of course, as you mentioend, unless it can climb the cabin sides is no use for those cobwebs that seem to appear at certain times of year.

I seem to recall that the old powerful vacuums of old were banned in favour of power saving models, and the blurb I have read indicates that power is not the best measure of these robovacs anyway, but suction power, measured in Pascal, though this maybe just a different measure to muddy the waters and make comparison more tricky.

Good description here:

https://www.ecovacs.com/uk/blog/robot-vacuum-suction-power

5 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Obviously stalking me long term and probably others on here who you seam to want to argue with😂😂👍

Well I don't stalk any of your families Facebook pages and then down load images to use as my avatar, something which you have form for. That is stalking. Not simply responding to posts you make on here.

So if you really want to discuss stalking I'm pretty sure you are not best placed to do that.

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, MJG said:

Well I don't stalk any of your families Facebook pages and then down load images to use as my avatar, something which you have form for. That is stalking. Not simply responding to posts you make on here.

So if you really want to discuss stalking I'm pretty sure you are not best placed to do that.

As usual you bring that up, YOU put all the info on here, everything was public viewing because of YOU. It was not stalking as you know so stop playing the victim. Get over it and stop being bitter and twisted, not worth it👍

6 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

As usual you bring that up, YOU put all the info on here, everything was public viewing because of YOU. It was not stalking as you know so stop playing the victim. Get over it and stop being bitter and twisted, not worth it👍

No, not quite PD - I posted a link to a news article regarding my son in laws Covid recovery.

Your memory seems 'faulty'.

You then used the names in that article to locate my daughters face book page and downloaded a picture of myself and my granddaughter  which you posted on here. When that was removed you proceeded to use that image as your avatar which once again was removed.

So not playing the victim but happy to expose your weird stalky behaviour, especially when you accuse me of stalking.

Edited by MJG

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would agree with this. We have a dyson handheld, one of the V series. Mrs R reckons its much better than lugging the old style vacuum around, and of course, being portable is useful for cleaning the car. The battery can be charged from 12V, and there is even an adapter that allows the use of standard Dewalt power tool batteries.No expereince of a robovac, but I should imagine in the narrow confines of a boat it will just zigzag all over the place, be a trip hazzard and not do a very good job of reaching the edges and corners, and of course, as you mentioend, unless it can climb the cabin sides is no use for those cobwebs that seem to appear at certain times of year.

I seem to recall that the old powerful vacuums of old were banned in favour of power saving models, and the blurb I have read indicates that power is not the best measure of these robovacs anyway, but suction power, measured in Pascal, though this maybe just a different measure to muddy the waters and make comparison more tricky.

Good description here:

https://www.ecovacs.com/uk/blog/robot-vacuum-suction-power

Yes the Dyson Animal hand held rechargeables are ideal for boats and can easily be hung on the wall and as said with the tube can do anything high level and tight spaces, unlike a Robot Hoover.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

No, not quite PD - I posted a link to a news article.

Your memory seems 'faulty'.

You then used the names in that article to locate my daughters face book page and downloaded a picture of myself and my granddaughter which you posted on here. When that was removed you proceeded to use that image as your avatar which once again was removed.

So not playing the victim but happy to expose your weird stalky behaviour, especially when you accuse me of stalking.

Go take it somewhere else as people aren’t interested.

2 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Go take it somewhere else as people aren’t interested.

I wasn't aware you had been appointed as spokesperson for the membership. Did I miss the memo?

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

That has nothing to do with keeping up with charging the batteries.  In fact, it also seems a little sexist I and many men I know do the vacuuming.  I do it as I do a better job than Mrs J.

Vacuuming is a blue job in our household. 

Liam does a far better and more thorough job of it than I do! 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I would agree with this. We have a dyson handheld, one of the V series. Mrs R reckons its much better than lugging the old style vacuum around, and of course, being portable is useful for cleaning the car. The battery can be charged from 12V, and there is even an adapter that allows the use of standard Dewalt power tool batteries. 

I actually avoid buying cordless appliances because while they're obviously convenient to use I worry about the expensive batteries getting knackered if I don't charge them frequently enough. With the new lithium batteries perhaps that's no longer an issue? I have a cordless DeWalt drill with 2 batteries  and a Horizon handheld VHF radio which I try to keep charged, but for most other expensive appliances I tend to go for corded. 

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I actually avoid buying cordless appliances because while they're obviously convenient to use I worry about the expensive batteries getting knackered if I don't charge them frequently enough. With the new lithium batteries perhaps that's no longer an issue? I have a cordless DeWalt drill with 2 batteries  and a Horizon handheld VHF radio which I try to keep charged, but for most other expensive appliances I tend to go for corded. 

I’ve a cordless de Walt drill and I bought a 12v charger for the battery to go with it. 
Ages ago I snipped off the cigarette style plug after treading on it and busting it and now feed the wires into my solar controller, charging in the Load terminals.

Battery charges quick even in dull days and holds the charge for a long time. 

I’ve a 12v Dust Devil, plugs in with cigarette style plug, might actually use it one day, it might be true about dust not getting deeper after 4 years but the cobwebs do keep on going. 

3 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

I’ve a cordless de Walt drill and I bought a 12v charger for the battery to go with it. 
Ages ago I snipped off the cigarette style plug after treading on it and busting it and now feed the wires into my solar controller, charging in the Load terminals.

Battery charges quick even in dull days and holds the charge for a long time. 

I’ve a 12v Dust Devil, plugs in with cigarette style plug, might actually use it one day, it might be true about dust not getting deeper after 4 years but the cobwebs do keep on going. 

Don't bother with the Dust Devil. It will make a better ornament than it will a vacuum cleaner!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

I have never noticed any degradation in performance of a power tool battery left partially charged. The problem with the small vacuum cleaners, or at least the one we have, is that the battery doesn't last long anyway. It's about 20-30 mins max, which is enough to do our boat, but maybe not a bigger area. The battery gets fully charged at the end of use,and although interchangeable, requires the use of a screwdriver to do so , unlike the drill I have. 

Hopefully the later Dyson handhelds allowed changing the battery without the intervention of a screwdriver, and possibly have a bigger battery capacity too. In terms of cost, a replacement battery is only about 20 quid. The initial outlay, if buying new, for the vacuum itself is in the hundreds though. They aren't particularly well built imo, and not worth that kind of money.

We got ours for 10 quid secondhand, and the battery was probably not at its optimum. Many people can't be bothered to clean out the intricate channels when they block with dust rendering them suction less (the vacuum, not the people). They much prefer to go out and but a shiny new one. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I have never noticed any degradation in performance of a power tool battery left partially charged. The problem with the small vacuum cleaners, or at least the one we have, is that the battery doesn't last long anyway. It's about 20-30 mins max, which is enough to do our boat, but maybe not a bigger area. The battery gets fully charged at the end of use,and although interchangeable, requires the use of a screwdriver to do so , unlike the drill I have. 

Hopefully the later Dyson handhelds allowed changing the battery without the intervention of a screwdriver, and possibly have a bigger battery capacity too. In terms of cost, a replacement battery is only about 20 quid. The initial outlay, if buying new, for the vacuum itself is in the hundreds though. They aren't particularly well built imo, and not worth that kind of money.

We got ours for 10 quid secondhand, and the battery was probably not at its optimum. Many people can't be bothered to clean out the intricate channels when they block with dust rendering them suction less (the vacuum, not the people). They much prefer to go out and but a shiny new one. 

I’m amazed how many people who don’t realise that the foam filter needs washing every now and then. I’d bet most of the skipped “suckless” cleaners would work fine if their intake filters were cleaned.

2 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

I’m amazed how many people who don’t realise that the foam filter needs washing every now and then. I’d bet most of the skipped “suckless” cleaners would work fine if their intake filters were cleaned.

They are cheap enough to buy a spare so that there is no danger of putting a freshly cleaned but wet one back into the machine. I am sure the lack of cleaning of the filter has a knock on effect deeper into the machine too, compounding the problem. I have taken a few dysons apart. Its usually a one tool job, and the internals are usually caked with dust, indicating the primary filter has been bypassed.

Edited by rusty69

4 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Guilty as charged. The filters in our Dyson at home do get forgotten.

So i got one and its doing a good job so far, but it will require a bit of fine tuning to get it perfect. It has mapped out the boat nicely, the pics below are just a sample run of it doing the saloon area. The configuration options are good and with some adjustments it should be a good little boat upgrade hopefully.

image.png.20294b3fde332ec1e3e145b43ccdaa06.png

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/02/2024 at 12:40, rusty69 said:

Having just read back my previous comment on this thread,I feel I owe the assembled members of the forum an almost sincere apology. I can see how my words may have been misinterpreted by some of the more liberal minded. I'm only glad I didn't mention sucking.

Wot - like this ?

Railway Station.jpg

• Horror 1

Just now, Tasemu said:

So it requires the owner to sit watching it with a magic wand to fend it off?? :D 

The fact it has an app shows it is streets ahead of the model we had which had no connectivity of any sort, just don't trip over it in the night when heading for the loo ;) 

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

So it requires the owner to sit watching it with a magic wand to fend it off?? :D 

The fact it has an app shows it is streets ahead of the model we had which had no connectivity of any sort, just don't trip over it in the night when heading for the loo ;) 

Not sure yet haha, got it scheduled for a full clean and mop 2pm every weekday. Will see how it goes, the magic want does help though

• Greenie 1

And really *really* don't let it loose in the middle of the night after you cat has sh*t on the carpet... 😞

Not apocryphal, actually happened to a friend. He wasn't happy, and neither were his pale carpets...

• Haha 1