Robot Vacuum on a narrowboat?

Tasemu

Featured Posts

On 05/02/2024 at 09:58, Peugeot 106 said:

I’m amazed how many people who don’t realise that the foam filter needs washing every now and then. I’d bet most of the skipped “suckless” cleaners would work fine if their intake filters were cleaned.

Good luck with it. It looks like fun. Don’t forget to clean the filters!

• 2 weeks later...

Been using it for almost a month now and it has been doing a charm keeping the boat clean. It is set on a timer each weekday to vacuum the floors and carpet, it also has a schedule to mop each monday and friday. It has created a lidar map of my boat and separated everything into rooms so i can do single room cleans or whatever may be needed at the time. I've been monitoring the battery consumption and have noted it uses very little power from my bank to recharge, a full clean and mop of my boat only uses 10% of the units internal battery and it will be full again and idle within 30 minutes of docking at the end of a clean. I have a 200ah LiFePo4 battery setup and have haven't noticed any significant change to my power levels at all. All in all i'd recommend it for a boat with a reliable power setup and no major obstructions which would stop the vacuum from navigating the boat.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Been using it for almost a month now and it has been doing a charm keeping the boat clean. It is set on a timer each weekday to vacuum the floors and carpet, it also has a schedule to mop each monday and friday. It has created a lidar map of my boat and separated everything into rooms so i can do single room cleans or whatever may be needed at the time. I've been monitoring the battery consumption and have noted it uses very little power from my bank to recharge, a full clean and mop of my boat only uses 10% of the units internal battery and it will be full again and idle within 30 minutes of docking at the end of a clean. I have a 200ah LiFePo4 battery setup and have haven't noticed any significant change to my power levels at all. All in all i'd recommend it for a boat with a reliable power setup and no major obstructions which would stop the vacuum from navigating the boat.

I think people will be more interested in your engine stop problem than remote control toys.

Have you done anything to sort that out yet?

Just now, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I think people will be more interested in your engine stop problem than remote control toys.

Have you done anything to sort that out yet?

Yeah so the solenoid was dead apparently, we've had a pull stop installed and now able to stop the engine remotely. I'll update the main thread now.

On 05/02/2024 at 17:07, Machpoint005 said:

Using a vacuum cleaner is supposed to be good exercise, and is vastly preferable to going to a gym, as well as being cheaper. 

Vastly preferable in what respect? You might prefer it but you'll never get the cardio exercise you'll get from gym equipment from housework.

It always makes me laugh when I read comments on the best way to exercise from those who obviously do little or no exercise. The classic one is how doing a few locks is good exercise. It really isn't.

Edited by blackrose

51 minutes ago, Tasemu said:

Yeah so the solenoid was dead apparently, we've had a pull stop installed and now able to stop the engine remotely. I'll update the main thread now.

👍👍

33 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Vastly preferable in what respect? You might prefer it but you'll never get the cardio exercise you'll get from gym equipment from housework.

It always makes me laugh when I read comments on the best way to exercise from those who obviously do little or no exercise. The classic one is how doing a few locks is good exercise. It really isn't.

Just like people who say they’ve done 2000 steps today and you think What? You mean you’ve walked to the shops instead of taking the car😂

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Wasn't that what @Tony Brooks suggested right at the start ?

It was, though we wanted to get an engineer over to give it a proper check-over anyway rather than just wing it ourselves.

• Greenie 1