No water from the taps!

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, IanD said:

Coloured traffic lights aren't such a problem so long as you remember red is at the top and green at the bottom. Resistor colour codes, however... 😉

Ah, resistor and worse capacitor colour codes are a whole new bad can of band colour worms. On some makes it is  almost impossible to differentiate between red, brown, orange and yellow. Or is it my eyes?

To get back on topic, I cannot understand how the OP managed to get air locks on a pumped supply yet could get water to pass when other taps were opened at the same time. Eton Mess plumbing aside, a pipe is a pipe. Fill it with water under pressure and it will come out of the other end.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

1 hour ago, MtB said:

So, given there are three wires, who here can suggest what each conductor is doing if not carrying the 230Vac mains I suggested earlier?

what ever who ever installed it decided .....  Alan very kindly provided the ISO spec for AC wiring, I was actually wondering what the DC spec was if it exists.

if was me blue would 12V neg, brown would be 'live' so 12v pos. and green yellow i would not use or at a push might use it for a switch wire, but sleeved or marked.   

44 minutes ago, IanD said:

Before anyone says "why would anyone who's colour-blind be doing electrical work anyway?", my father-in-law was red-green colour blind (as is my son, it's a recessive hereditary gene in mostly males), and if he hadn't somehow got past the Post Office entrance exam for electrical engineering in the 1930s he wouldn't have been building and debugging Colossus in the 1940s... 😉

it probably didn't matter as much in those days as the old telecom wiring codes used a solid colour and a tracer or had a cotton outer sheath.  i think they also learned about colour blindness and when i had my PO engineering interview the interviewer had a cable sample and asked me to identify the colour of each core.  At the time i thought it odd, until someone told me it was a colour blindness test.  I suspect you would not be able to discriminate against someone like that now... 

Edited by jonathanA
add 'not' !!!

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Ah, resistor and worse capacitor colour codes are a whole new bad can of band colour worms. On some makes it is  almost impossible to differentiate between red, brown, orange and yellow. Or is it my eyes?

Some are certainly better than others, or used to be when we still used through-hole components -- which is a *long* time ago now. Small SMT components nowadays just look like dust -- the 01005 ones we use a lot are 0.4mm x 0.2mm... 😞

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The red wire is easy to identify. Its the one you first thought was pink. 

Or maybe its the other way around...

5 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

what ever who ever installed it decided .....  Alan very kindly provided the ISO spec for AC wiring, I was actually wondering what the DC spec was if it exists.

if was me blue would 12V neg, brown would be 'live' so 12v pos. and green yellow i would not use or at a push might use it for a switch wire, but sleeved or marked.   

it probably didn't matter as much in those days as the old telecom wiring codes used a solid colour and a tracer or had a cotton outer sheath.  i think they also learned about colour blindness and when i had my PO engineering interview the interviewer had a cable sample and asked me to identify the colour of each core.  At the time i thought it odd, until someone told me it was a colour blindness test.  I suspect you would not be able to discriminate against someone like that now... 

Wiring might have not been so bad, but it certainly mattered with resistor colour codes... 😉

You can still legally refuse to give somebody a job if their disability means they would be unable to do it properly, for example a one-legged Tarzan*** or a blind aircraft pilot -- political correctness hasn't really gone *that* mad even today... 😉

*** "I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you."

1 minute ago, IanD said:

*** "I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is - neither have you."

Along with:

Human beings have on average, slightly fewer than two legs. 

13 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I was actually wondering what the DC spec was if it exists.

The DC (Low Voltage) requirements ..............

7.8.1 All equipotential bonding conductors shall be identified by green, or green with a yellow stripe, insulation, or may be uninsulated. Conductors with green, or green with a yellow stripe, insulation shall not be used for currentcarrying conductors.

NOTE The protective conductor of the a.c. electrical system (see ISO 13297) also uses green, or green with a yellow stripe, insulation and may be connected to the d.c. negative terminal of the craft engine.

7.8.2 Means of identification other than colour for d.c. positive conductors is permitted if properly identified on the wiring diagram of the electrical system(s) of the craft.

7.8.3 All d.c. negative conductors shall be identified by black or yellow insulation. If the craft is equipped with an a.c. electrical system (see ISO 13297) which may use black insulation for live conductors, yellow insulation shall be used for d.c. negative conductors of the d.c. system. Black or yellow insulation shall not be used for d.c. positive conductors.

NOTE 1 In conformance with IEC 60446, conductor insulation colours of the a.c. system are

live conductors: black or brown;

neutral conductors: white or light blue;

protective conductors: green or green with a yellow stripe.

NOTE 2 A colour stripe may be added to the conductor insulation for identification in the system. Craft with a.c and d.c systems should avoid the use of a brown, white or light blue insulation colour in the d.c. system unless clearly separated from the a.c. conductors and identified (see 7.7)

• Greenie 1

Just now, MtB said:

Along with:

Human beings have on average, slightly fewer than two legs. 

Also eyes, arms, ears. Maybe not nipples though... 😉

(I'm thinking Scaramanga, not Eccentrica Gallumbits...)

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

Also eyes, arms, ears. Maybe not nipples though... 😉

(I'm thinking Scaramanga, not Eccentrica Gallumbits...)

Also I notice on average, slightly fewer that one brain.... :D 

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don't think the OP has been back to comment on his problems or what he found.

He did ref. the lack of water from the kitchen taps.

He turned two gate valves on the calorifier on and off and bled the bleed screws on what he called the calorifier, hot, and cold expansion pipes. He said the taps then worked as expected.

Made little or no sense to me.

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

He turned two gate valves on the calorifier on and off and bled the bleed screws on what he called the calorifier, hot, and cold expansion pipes. He said the taps then worked as expected.

Nor to me but looking at the plumbing it made even less sense. Who with any sort of a mind does work like that?

Plastic push fit plumbing has many advantages but that was an abuse.

13 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Nor to me but looking at the plumbing it made even less sense. Who with any sort of a mind does work like that?

Plastic push fit plumbing has many advantages but that was an abuse.

I liked the OP's naming of the builder as Eton Mess, I suspect there are/have been more problems than the topic and the immersion heater cables.

46 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

has Jake150  turned into Norm55 then?

17 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I liked the OP's naming of the builder as Eton Mess, I suspect there are/have been more problems than the topic and the immersion heater cables.

Elton Moss? 🙂But the whole thing could be de-constructed as in all honesty it looks a bit over-constructed. As the saying goes “Keep it simple stupid” KISS

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

On 15/02/2024 at 14:16, jonathanA said:

When I joined Post Office Telephones (International Branch), back in 1972 I and all of the other entrants I joined with were subjected to a pretty comprehensive medical, which included tens of charts with multi-coloured splodges on them. Each one had a number hidden in it, which was only visible if you didn't have colour blindness of the colours the chart was looking for.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

When I joined Post Office Telephones (International Branch), back in 1972 I and all of the other entrants I joined with were subjected to a pretty comprehensive medical, which included tens of charts with multi-coloured splodges on them. Each one had a number hidden in it, which was only visible if you didn't have colour blindness of the colours the chart was looking for.

PO colour blindness tests had obviously advanced since the 1930s then... 😉

Jake150 are you going to give us an update, I see you keep popping in.

On 30/01/2024 at 16:00, Jake150 said:

Hello! 

We've been living on our 31ft Narrowboat in Thames Ditton for 4 months and have finally had a plumbing problem! 

Our water pump stopped working, and no water was coming through the taps, nor was then any noise... I changed the water pump and water is feeding through it but still have nothing coming from the taps.

Can anyone suggest what it might be? An absolute plumbing beginner, so there's a 110% chance it's me missing something ...

Thanks so much for the help everyone! 

If the pump isnt making a noise it could be a fuse or the battery voltage too low

• 4 weeks later...

Back on line again and yes plumbing is a mess.    Anyhow hot water aplenty now it was just airlock but that electric cable has had its blue sheath cut too short. Potentially it could burn out against hot pipework. Am having this rectified.    Apologies for jumping into someone elses thread but thought it was relevant.   Yes Eton Mess boats are C**p and would not reccomend to anyone.