Needing info on having a boat moved by road...

Journeyman36

Featured Posts

Another company you could try is Matt Gregory. You would need some idea of the total weight, and would probably need a wharf where you could get right alongside with the full length of the trailer but if that can be met, it may be a cheaper option. Matt has a 120 ton hiab and trombone trailer so the whole lift at both ends can be done with an integral vehicle.

You will need to define both where it is coming out and where it is going in - Harefield Marina may be an option for the latter as I think you could get full length alongside at the wharf by the shop.

Alec

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Is this a historic boat, or even a wooden boat?

I wondered about this too and Tuckeys not being stupid, might yet have guessed the boat and not responded due to its knowing its history or construction.

There can't be too many boats on the southern Oxford that need lifting out and lorrying to the GU when cruising there is so easy, usually. 

Assuming a metal hull/baseplate, has it had any work done to the baseplate? Reason for query being about a decade ago a boat got wedged solid in the lock outside Venetian Marina due to an oversight by the welder not cutting the plate off in line and leaving a 6" or 7"protrusion

22 minutes ago, Yellowback said:

Assuming a metal hull/baseplate, has it had any work done to the baseplate? Reason for query being about a decade ago a boat got wedged solid in the lock outside Venetian Marina due to an oversight by the welder not cutting the plate off in line and leaving a 6" or 7"protrusion

That's an interesting thought. 

The OP says their baseplate is 60mm too wide. I wonder if they mean this literally and 50mm just needs cutting off it. I was imagining the hull was the same width as the baseplate but it could be that the base has been overplated and left too wide. 

All speculation though as the OP points out, they are entitled o decide what information to post and what to withhold. 

58 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

A recent customer of mine told me of his experience of communications with a supposed boatmover that on enquiry via FB he concluded to be a scammer.

Hence I’d be grateful if @Journeyman36 could at least confirm if the scam they mentioned involved a boat mover?

Not a boat mover no... the scam was via the seller.

54 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have seen boats lifted at Cropredy Wharf.

Thank you, I'll check that out too

56 minutes ago, David Mack said:

In both directions?

No not in boat directions. I've tried to go down the Napton flight, facing the direction of travel.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Based on rough information they can give a vague estimate, but to give a quote they need to know exactly what you want.  eg who provides the crane at each end, where are you loading/unloading the boat, is there an access charge to use the wharf etc. etc.

Yep. I'm aware of all of that but of course until one of the movers actually engages in a conversation they'll not get that info! It's all down to communication - seems to be lacking in a lot of companies.

57 minutes ago, agg221 said:

Another company you could try is Matt Gregory. You would need some idea of the total weight, and would probably need a wharf where you could get right alongside with the full length of the trailer but if that can be met, it may be a cheaper option. Matt has a 120 ton hiab and trombone trailer so the whole lift at both ends can be done with an integral vehicle.

You will need to define both where it is coming out and where it is going in - Harefield Marina may be an option for the latter as I think you could get full length alongside at the wharf by the shop.

Alec

Thanks Alec. I'll get in touch and see what the options are...

5 minutes ago, Journeyman36 said:

Not a boat mover no... the scam was via the seller.

Thank you, I'll check that out too

No not in boat directions. I've tried to go down the Napton flight, facing the direction of travel.

ok, how stuck did you get?  Some boaters have pulled boats through locks with a tifor but this is not recomended. Depending on how you got stuck then it is just possible that you might go through backwards, we had to do this on the Hurlston locks..  Which Napton lock did you get stuck in?

I am also aware of boaters making "adjustments" to their boat with an angle grinder to get through the Huddersfield Narrow. If you are still close then try to find out a bit more about the problem before spending big money on road transport.

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

ok, how stuck did you get?  Some boaters have pulled boats through locks with a tifor but this is not recomended. Depending on how you got stuck then it is just possible that you might go through backwards, we had to do this on the Hurlston locks..  Which Napton lock did you get stuck in?

I am also aware of boaters making "adjustments" to their boat with an angle grinder to get through the Huddersfield Narrow. If you are still close then try to find out a bit more about the problem before spending big money on road transport.

Stuck enough that the boat wouldn't pass through the lock but not stuck enough that through stupidity I'd jammed it in tight requiring CRT and a stoppage to free it.
I did wonder about the possibility of going backwards through the lock... now I've had someone else mention the option I am a little more inclined to give it a try.
It was lock 10 - I believe it's fairly notorious.
I've done all that can be done to get information, research, FOI request to CRT, de-watering the boat for inspection etc.

It was mentioned earlier that the baseplate is the culprit - if there is enough wiggle room at gunnel height, it might be worth shifting all moveable weight to one side and attempt to go through on the list. Worth a try to save a few thousand!

• Greenie 1

CRT might let you dewater a short pound, especially if you can talk informally to the people on the ground, but if its done officially they might want you to pay to declare a stoppage and all sorts of admin stuff.. Short pounds get emptied by accident all the time 😀.

Other options are to get somebody who knows about boats to have a look, or you can gain some info by gently probing with a stick, or get a pair of waders (£50 from Screwfix) and get into the water and have a feel.

Assuming you have taken the boat through other Oxford locks the problem can't be too severe. There is a place just above Cropredy where they pull boats out on a trolley with a tractor, and I think there is a drydock at Fenny marina???

17 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

It was mentioned earlier that the baseplate is the culprit - if there is enough wiggle room at gunnel height, it might be worth shifting all moveable weight to one side and attempt to go through on the list. Worth a try to save a few thousand!

Interesting thought! IT'd be very tight but might work

19 minutes ago, dmr said:

CRT might let you dewater a short pound, especially if you can talk informally to the people on the ground, but if its done officially they might want you to pay to declare a stoppage and all sorts of admin stuff.. Short pounds get emptied by accident all the time 😀.

Other options are to get somebody who knows about boats to have a look, or you can gain some info by gently probing with a stick, or get a pair of waders (£50 from Screwfix) and get into the water and have a feel.

Assuming you have taken the boat through other Oxford locks the problem can't be too severe. There is a place just above Cropredy where they pull boats out on a trolley with a tractor, and I think there is a drydock at Fenny marina???

That's all been tried... but thanks for the ideas. I've added some more info to the post for clarification.
I think I know the place with the tractor pull, I'll ask there...

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Ray Bowen is the name you mean

Or even Ray Bowern.

I used him to move my widebeam about 8 years ago. He's a broker so he may well use Tuckeys for example or other boat movers. But you won't find cheaper - at least I couldn't. I never actually met him, we just talked several times on the phone but he's a good bloke and well worth a call.

Edited by blackrose

Rather than edit the original post it might be better to put a new post as not everyone will read from the start again.

If the Boat was rebottomed then presumably it must have been lifted out in order for this work to be done. Maybe this is the place to get it lifted onto a wagon.

It is Christmas. Ray Bowern is the man for road transport of Boats. 

It must also have travelled from wherever the work took place. Maybe this was carried out a long time ago. 

Is there a small claims case against the seller for misrepresentation or were the measurements never written down? 

Or... Has Napton lock 10 moved.

Will it definitely not go back down the Oxford the other way ? 

Its the wrong time to do the Thames. Apart from red boards everywhere Chertsey lock is closed UFN for repairs to the lock chamber (dislocated gate anchor). 

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Rather than edit the original post it might be better to put a new post as not everyone will read from the start again.

If the Boat was rebottomed then presumably it must have been lifted out in order for this work to be done. Maybe this is the place to get it lifted onto a wagon.

Possibly, but that was to the north requiring a journey through Napton locks...

It is Christmas. Ray Bowern is the man for road transport of Boats. 

I called 3 weeks ago.

It must also have travelled from wherever the work took place. Maybe this was carried out a long time ago. 

Is there a small claims case against the seller for misrepresentation or were the measurements never written down? 

Yes most likely. However, the cost, likely duration and low chance of enforcement mean it's not a realistic option.

Or... Has Napton lock 10 moved.

All locks move I think, it's just a question of time

Will it definitely not go back down the Oxford the other way ?

Its the wrong time to do the Thames. Apart from red boards everywhere Chertsey lock is closed UFN for repairs to the lock chamber (dislocated gate anchor). 

It will yes, as I said, it's a time issue. I can't wait until May to get the boat onto the GU

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, system 4-50 said:

I'm amazed that you have not had a response from Tuckey's!   Emails are unreliable, presumably you have rung them??

I'm surprised too, they were recommended by Matt at Tooleys... Initial contact was a call, I spoke to a lady who took my details and said I'd be called back by a chap who's name I can't remember, as he did the quotes. Having not had a response I then sent an email...

I had a Boat moved by a company called ES Frisby. They are in Peterborough. 

It was a shorter Boat and I'm not sure what they can handle but it was a good company.

I arranged the lifting at both ends myself. Not sure what there is on the Oxford does Fenny Compton do anything? 

https://www.esfrisby.co.uk/

Oops on the website it says 

We operate boat trailers some of which are power steered, which can carry boats to 65 feet in length.

Will leave the post up in case anyone else looking for Boat transport is looking. 

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I had a Boat moved by a company called ES Frisby. They are in Peterborough. 

It was a shorter Boat and I'm not sure what they can handle but it was a good company.

I arranged the lifting at both ends myself. Not sure what there is on the Oxford does Fenny Compton do anything? 

https://www.esfrisby.co.uk/

Oops on the website it says 

We operate boat trailers some of which are power steered, which can carry boats to 65 feet in length.

Will leave the post up in case anyone else looking for Boat transport is looking. 

thank you for your comment - I do have Fenny Compton on my list of places to contact. Shame Frisby don't have larger trailers...

I would just take it down the Thames. The red boards will be off sometime soon and you are going downstream anyway. If Chertsey Lock is closed for an extended period there are various boatyards upriver that could lift it (Such as Reading Marine) with a crane on site and get it transported from there but unless it is sinking I would wait for the Chertsey lock to reopen. I haven't checked but there may be other planned closures on the Thames but often there is a window when you can get through.

37 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I would just take it down the Thames. The red boards will be off sometime soon and you are going downstream anyway. If Chertsey Lock is closed for an extended period there are various boatyards upriver that could lift it (Such as Reading Marine) with a crane on site and get it transported from there but unless it is sinking I would wait for the Chertsey lock to reopen. I haven't checked but there may be other planned closures on the Thames but often there is a window when you can get through.

Aside from Chertsey there is the installation of the new viaduct for HS2 - that's a lengthy closure. So whilst cruising some of the Thames might be an option soon I still can't make the rest of the journey without lifting the boat, so it might as well be lifted and moved by road the whole way unless there was a massive saving in the cost.

The River is quite sensitive to rain at the moment. Still on red boards. It will come onto yellow soon if there is no rain but it won't take a lot for it to go back on if the weather changes. 

The other obvious point is that Hambleden lock (Henley) is advertised as being closed 2nd January to end of March for much needed works on the sluice hydraulics. 

I think its important to know if it is a wooden boat or a steel one, if it is a wooden boat then spreading might be the issue in which case a its likely that a bit of gentle pulling in would help. If it is metal then it could well be a bit bent as well as being spread in which case a bit of more determined pulling in would help a lot. I would be surprised if the base plate is the problem if it was fitted by someone who knew what he was doing. Hard to tell without looking but if someone has welded a bottom onto a 7`1" boat or even a fraction wider and left a so called sacrificial edge sticking out then it could be a problem that could be best solved with an angle grinder

• Greenie 1

Iron Boat rebottomed in steel. 

17 hours ago, Journeyman36 said:

The boat is iron-hulled but a steel baseplate was fitted in 1989. The boat was not aligned correctly when this was done.

That should cover it. Speculation over...

OP was edited