Immunity from Bile

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why wasn't it included in the boat's inventory?

Every time I've bought or sold a boat, ancillary equipment was included in the deal.

When all is said and done, it's a windlass, FFS, and useless other than for boating.

We left the used el cheapo ones that came with our boat when we sold but still have the nice ones we bought each other via. Santa one year. Kept for sentimental value.

1 minute ago, Machpoint005 said:

But you said you were prepared to sell it.

There's a logical disconnect in there.

Why offer something you want, yet you already own, for sale? Either it's worth having or it isn't. You are never going to enjoy an effortlessly affluent lifestyle simply on the proceeds of one miserable windlass!

True and I wasn't really expecting a response if I'm honest. Put it this way I would rather hang on to it than sell it for a fiver, only to have to buy another one in 10 years time. I was being rather tongue-in-cheek and reacting to the hoo-ha that this thread generated.

22 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

When all is said and done, it's a windlass, FFS, and useless other than for boating.

You don't have to be a boat-owner to go boating. We will probably hire and will certainly crew on friends' boats. 

• Love 2

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why wasn't it included in the boat's inventory?

Every time I've bought or sold a boat, ancillary equipment was included in the deal.

I have a number of windlasses that wouldn't be left on the boat if we ever sold it, there would be 3 or 4 left behind though.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

When all is said and done, it's a windlass, FFS, and useless other than for boating

Depending on definition of boating... We live in Wolverton and used to walk regularly with the dog to Cosgrove and back (on one nice day we did Stoke Bruan and back, but that's another story!); I'd usually hang a windlass on my belt and if we overtook a boat moving slowly past the moorings below the lock we'd ask if they were going up. If they were, we'd draw a paddle and have the gates open, ready. If there was a boat in the lock, we'd offer to close gates and paddles so they could make a slick exit. Not all accepted, but the offer was there (and I think the windless still in the Garage; the dog doesn't walk that far any more)

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I have a number of windlasses that wouldn't be left on the boat if we ever sold it, there would be 3 or 4 left behind though.

Same here. When I sell a boat I leave a rudimentary set of ancillaries for the new owner but keep my fave items for use on the next boat. 

• Greenie 2

I left everything on the boat when I sold it, including the kitchen sink.  Except the aluminium  index plate with the BW logo.  I wish I'd kept the tumble dryer, it was a damn sight better than the conventional house one I now have.

(btw, the offer has gone up to £8, but with only half a mince pie because I've eaten the other half.)

Edited by system 4-50
I HATE MERGED REPLIES
  • Happy 1

On 08/12/2023 at 14:05, Tracy D'arth said:

I know of someone who has tried that. Said it did not work and the juddering of the lock gear was potentially destructive.

We didn't use them to wind valves (29 turns)  for the same reason and we had 16 of them to do

When I was a bairn ponies were one of the mane subjects in the household. A tail could be told about it. We had four of 'em. Mine was called Gypsy. I remember the farrier well. Red hot iron, the nails. I was amazed the ponies didn't mind. Durable quadrupeds. Very useful. We had a governess cart and a dog cart for the road. 

When we cleaned the ponies feet we had to be careful about the frog. 

But that was yars ago. I haven't ridden since the mid 80s. 

I do a lot of yachting on a relatively small boat - if a rope can't be pulled / winched as appropriate, there's probably something wrong. Of course, electric & mechanical aids are brilliant for people that need them, but I suppose they should really have some mechanism to prevent the application of damaging force - rather like a torque wrench.