Immunity from Bile

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

CRT volunteers were out again yesterday working on the towpath but I wouldn't say gentrified, and there are even a couple of CCers so that will keep it grounded.  😀

Getting quite fond of Rochdale itself, another micro pub has just opened so might need to go and have a look.

Just read in the news that Manchester is the new cutural centre of the uk but I must have missed that when we last went through.

Was that just because of the Chanel models last night

22 hours ago, magnetman said:

Has anyone tried a decent cordless drill for the paddles thus far? Would need an anti wrist breaker bar.

I think it could work.

Many yars ago I was told by a BW employee that locks and associated hardware on canals should be operable by a fit 13 yar old girl.

Perhaps standards are slipping either in the fitness of the youth or the condition and maintenance of the locks and associated hardware.

I don't think my 13 yar old daughter would be able to wind paddles on some locks but she is fit.

On the to do list atm. Looking into adapting my cordless angled drill. Only problem the body building membership will make it over £1000Screenshot_20231208_182615_com.android.chrome_edit_14788054726909.thumb.jpg.01963126e001c0321ddafba4572a70a0.jpg

Are the CRT onto a marketing strategy.

The main navigable Chanel. Maybe there could be a dredger with a name plate sponsored by the brand.

Just now, Jon57 said:

On the to do list atm. Looking into adapting my cordless angled drill. Only problem the body building membership will make it over £1000Screenshot_20231208_182615_com.android.chrome_edit_14788054726909.thumb.jpg.01963126e001c0321ddafba4572a70a0.jpg

I'm not convinced the gearhead in that would be hard enough to deal with the job. You want to get a planetary gearbox for that rather than a bevel.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Are the CRT onto a marketing strategy.

The main navigable Chanel. Maybe there could be a dredger with a name plate sponsored by the brand.

I'm not convinced the gearhead in that would be hard enough to deal with the job. You want to get a planetary gearbox for that rather than a bevel.

And arms like popeye 🤣

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I can't sell that one as it is a family hair loom but have a small sack of others collected from charity shops so we could potentially do a deal. 

If you play your cards right the forks could be with you. 

I think a comb would be more suitable for your hair than a dinner fork

This is why I mentioned the bar going to the ground.

Just now, D Ash said:

I think a comb would be more suitable for your hair than a dinner fork

Its funny you mention that because I do brush my hair with a fork. They are a lot more durable than combs and hair brushes.

2 hours ago, IanD said:

I was only joking following Midnight's disastrous debris encounters -- we got a total of two plastic carrier bags in the whole trip... 🙂

Only because we dredged it for you. I'm 2ft 10in at the skeg. No bad fouls untill the dreaded mattress 😁

• Happy 1

22 minutes ago, IanD said:

It might be the cultural centre but it's not exactly friendly to boaters who might want to stop there, is it? 😉

Look at the contrast with Birmingham; back in the last century the canals in the centre of both were mostly grotty and inhospitable, Birmingham has changed out of all recognition (at least in some areas) but Manchester hasn't... 😞

As Ive said before, its all very sad. When we first stopped in Castlefield it was quite good and felt like it could become a smaller version of Birmingham. The wharf pub had just opened, there were a couple of other venues, visiting boats and visting people, and even a bit of street theatre.  Its all gone horrible wrong and its now just a silted up seedy dump. Bad planning and Peel holdings have killed it.

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Yes  but you can actually just take the windlass orf the spindle and reposition it in this scenario.

Course you can, but this way you can get a rhythm going with a short jerky movement, to coin a phrase, without having to do a stop and another heave. No one would say this is the invention the world of boats was waiting for, but combined with the longer handle and the ease of the centre socket, which is about the same length as a standard windlass (so you don't have to use the length, or the ratchet, if not needed), it does make life easier. I've not put my back out on a lock since I got it, anyway. I wouldn't burst into tears if it fell in the cut, but I'd probably get another one.

1 hour ago, Jon57 said:

Only because we dredged it for you. I'm 2ft 10in at the skeg. No bad fouls untill the dreaded mattress 😁

And the hessian bag around Nancy David's prop which took 3 of us over an hour to remove. Most of it was picked up in locks. Between the 4 of us we visited the weedhatch 14 times. No wonder it's cleaner now. Next time we should follow @IanD 😆😆

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Midnight said:

And the hessian bag around Nancy David's prop which took 3 of us over an hour to remove. Most of it was picked up in locks. Between the 4 of us we visited the weedhatch 14 times. No wonder it's cleaner now. Next time we should follow @IanD 😆😆

😏

2 hours ago, IanD said:

Look at the contrast with Birmingham; back in the last century the canals in the centre of both were mostly grotty and inhospitable, Birmingham has changed out of all recognition (at least in some areas) 

some areas?

are there any areas still inhospitable in Birmingham?

5 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

some areas?

are there any areas still inhospitable in Birmingham?

I've never been through Birmingham. Back when I started it was fairly dubious for singlehanding. Maybe time to give it a whirl? Is it really worth it? I did the ring through Manchester a few years back and was sorry I bothered.

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've never been through Birmingham. Back when I started it was fairly dubious for singlehanding. Maybe time to give it a whirl? Is it really worth it? I did the ring through Manchester a few years back and was sorry I bothered.

If you’ve never been through Brum or the Black Country then you really ought to do it. 

Birmingham is just a very small part of a bigger network, the BCN

Birmingham and Manchester are incomparable, in many ways. 

12 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

If you’ve never been through Brum or the Black Country then you really ought to do it. 

Birmingham is just a very small part of a bigger network, the BCN

Birmingham and Manchester are incomparable, in many ways. 

I meant the BCN, really, not just Birmingham. I tend to potter these days, three or four hours a day. Is it feasible to do that through there and still find pleasant and safe moorings? I know there's a few big lock flights, but apart from that?

ETA I had a look at the BCN page re the explorer cruises, but nothing seems to have been updated and nothing showing on the calendar. I'll get the map out tomorrow.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

6 hours ago, dmr said:

Actually maybe it was two weedhatch visits, but it was just the usual plastic bags and tasteless clothing, no Rochdale specials.

link: http://www.fordspecials.co.uk/rochdale.html

Co-incidently, there was a grp bodied Rochdale Special in the  derelict Ashton Canal for several years  before the canal was re-opened.

It was a white one , at least when it first appeared there.😀

12 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I meant the BCN, really, not just Birmingham. I tend to potter these days, three or four hours a day. Is it feasible to do that through there and still find pleasant and safe moorings? I know there's a few big lock flights, but apart from that?

ETA I had a look at the BCN page re the explorer cruises, but nothing seems to have been updated and nothing showing on the calendar. I'll get the map out tomorrow.

Once you’re up on the BCN then I’d say yes you can potter and do 4 hour trips. 

You can single hand in no rush up the Wolverhampton 21 in that time. 

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/events/event/174-bcn-explorer-cruise-may-2024/

57 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/events/event/174-bcn-explorer-cruise-may-2024/

I was just being a bit of a provocative stirrer I'm afraid 😄 (as I hope y'all guessed). I'm 5'4" and fairly slight and I found the Go Windlass really handy for the more tricky locks, however most of the time I preferred to use my standard el cheapo one. As tempting as the generous offer of cash + mince pie was I think I'll hang onto it for the day I can persuade himself that we need to get another boat. 

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Don't you want to haggle?

7 hours ago, MrsM said:

Having sold my boat I could be persuaded to part with my Go Windlass if the price is right! 🤭😃

Why wasn't it included in the boat's inventory?

Every time I've bought or sold a boat, ancillary equipment was included in the deal.

When all is said and done, it's a windlass, FFS, and useless other than for boating.

16 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why wasn't it included in the boat's inventory?

Every time I've bought or sold a boat, ancillary equipment was included in the deal.

Because it was a birthday gift and we left them 2 'normal' windlasses, along with everything else they could possibly need (life jackets, furniture, WiFi router & aerial, new boarding plank, pole &  hooks, new mattress & bedding, crockery etc etc). We anticipate getting another boat on retirement and I will be glad to have it.

Edited by MrsM
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

7 minutes ago, MrsM said:

Because it was a birthday gift and we left them 2 'normal' windlasses, along with everything else they could possibly need (life jackets, furniture, new boarding plank, pole &  hooks, new mattress & bedding, crockery etc etc). We anticipate getting another boat on retirement and I will be glad to have it.

But you said you were prepared to sell it.

There's a logical disconnect in there.

Why offer something you want, yet you already own, for sale? Either it's worth having or it isn't. You are never going to enjoy an effortlessly affluent lifestyle simply on the proceeds of one miserable windlass!