Generator usage

Captain P

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Captain P said:

Aye, pretty hairy along here. Will just hang back next time on the outer edges and not get as close to other boats.

Usually I'd have just bogged off, I'm happy to live and let live so will just get noise canceling headphones n hold out for a tranquil mooring ASAP.

Of course, the other benefit is that you won't be able to hear the scallies angle grinder or bolt cutter next time they come raiding.

2 hours ago, Captain P said:

Bunch of goits to take rverything from a poor man and against travellers code.

I watched a programme on TV about a year ago with Ed Stafford who's one of those nature survivalists on a lesser known TV channel. 

In this series which I think was broadcast on channel 4, he spent a week with a different group of travellers/gypsies and got to know them and their lives and problems.

At the first place his caravan got broken into even though he was very sympathetic to their cause and supposed to be part of their community for the week. He interviewed community leaders and got their side of the story on disputes, and even tried to understand why they often left sites in such a mess when they left leaving the local council to clean them up. Apparently it's because there's nowhere provided for them to put their rubbish - I've had the same problem at certain (non liveaboard) moorings but I've never felt the need to dump my rubbish...

Anyway, what became apparent to me after watching him talking to some of the older gypsies and travellers was that any code or decency of the older generation of travellers doesn't exist or apply to the younger ones. They're the ones who do all the nicking. I think most people would be fine living alongside the older ones who do live by a code, but not the younger thieves and troublemakers.

Watch 60 Days with the Gypsies - Channel 4 https://www.channel4.com/programmes/60-days-with-the-gypsies

Edited by blackrose

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I watched a programme on TV about a year ago with Ed Stafford who's one of those nature survivalists on a lesser known TV channel. 

In this series which I think was broadcast on channel 4, he spent a week with a different group of travellers/gypsies and got to know them and their lives and problems.

At the first place his caravan got broken into even though he was very sympathetic to their cause and supposed to be part of their community for the week. He interviewed community leaders and got their side of the story on disputes, and even tried to understand why they often left sites in such a mess when they left leaving the local council to clean them up. Apparently it's because there's nowhere provided for them to put their rubbish - I've had the same problem at certain (non liveaboard) moorings but I've never felt the need to dump my rubbish...

Anyway, what became apparent to me after watching him talking to some of the older gypsies and travellers was that any code or decency of the older generation of travellers doesn't exist or apply to the younger ones. They're the ones who do all the nicking. I think most people would be fine living alongside the older ones who do live by a code, but not the younger thieves and troublemakers.

Watch 60 Days with the Gypsies - Channel 4 https://www.channel4.com/programmes/60-days-with-the-gypsies

That's a bit like living in a town, isn't it? The old blokes are mostly OK, it's the kids who run riot. And when people throw stones at your boat, bugger me, it's not middle aged couples, it's a load of teenagers. If you've ever lived in an army town, it's not the oldtimers who get drunk and wreck pubs, damme if it isn't the young ones.

In other words, the traveller community is no different from any other, much as people would like it to be.

6 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

My daughter sometimes gets overwhelmed by busy social areas which was leading to panic attacks (think college canteen, busy pubs, large crowds etc.) so we got her a set of these which she loves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0968HW8GY/

We bought similar for my daughter, for same sort of money, but much like those look they were just ear-plugs. No mention of batteries so I can’t see how they cancel noise any more than stuffing something in your ears.  Or is the description misleading.   

We also bought these and the performance is incredible.  
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-1000XM4-Cancelling-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B08C7KG5LP/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?crid=6Y7T3IUMA4UQ&keywords=sony+wh1000xm4&qid=1669848719&sprefix=somy+%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-

I sometimes pressure wash for clients. Big industrial thing. Tend to use ear-defenders for convenience of taking on and off but actually the best things are those cheap little foam ear-plugs.  Roll them between your fingers. Pop them in and let them expand.   Unbelievably effective.  

20 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

. Tend to use ear-defenders for convenience of taking on and off but actually the best things are those cheap little foam ear-plugs.  Roll them between your fingers. Pop them in and let them expand.   Unbelievably effective.  

So long as your hands are clean and you put them in properly. If its really noisy you can wear them and ear defenders.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

In other words, the traveller community is no different from any other, much as people would like it to be.

No, not quite. The traveller community is a bit different because it's young people are much worse in terms of theft and causing trouble than the average young non-travellers living in the same area. Also you don't have to be living in a town to have a problem with young travellers.

I'm a regular swimmer and I stay at hotels for work so I try to find hotels with pools. Not long ago I was harassed at a hotel swimming pool by 3 young travellers. I've never had a problem with young people from any other community.

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

Out of interest how did you know they were travellers?

Did they ask if you like dogs? 

I didn't know at the time, I found out 20 minutes later when I was in the sauna and mentioned the incident to another young guy of about 22 who I got talking to. He was a local who paid for membership of the hotel facilities and he told me he knew who they were as they often caused trouble and the hotel staff had banned them previously. As soon as he told me they were "p*keys" (his words not mine) what they'd done to me made sense.

Listen, I take people as they come. Good people are good people and arseholes are arseholes. I've no axe to grind against any particular community, but those who say that Irish gypsies or travellers are just the same as anyone else have either not experienced the extent of antisocial behaviour of young travellers, or they're in some sort of ideological denial.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

On 27/11/2023 at 16:06, Captain P said:

Moored next to a lovely boat and get on very well with those on board.

Thing is since it got greyer this boats generator is going on from around 9/10ish until 7/8ish non stop.

What rules/regulations are being disobeyed here?

12 hours ago, truckcab79 said:

We bought similar for my daughter, for same sort of money, but much like those look they were just ear-plugs. No mention of batteries so I can’t see how they cancel noise any more than stuffing something in your ears.  Or is the description misleading.

I've no idea how they work, i was similarly puzzled by the lack of power, but even if it's purely a placebo it seems to work for her and she's been wearing them since high school. Whatever we got her had to be in-ear at her insistence, as over the head types got stolen at school or on the bus.

• Greenie 1

On 28/11/2023 at 12:52, Hudds Lad said:

My daughter sometimes gets overwhelmed by busy social areas which was leading to panic attacks (think college canteen, busy pubs, large crowds etc.) so we got her a set of these which she loves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0968HW8GY/

Thanks, will buy some and for the time being use them. Then I'm off into the wild. 

I was hoping to find our if it was regularly the case with moored boats in groups but didn't get an answer sadly. I've decided to just avoid humanity in future and enjoy birdsong:)

23 hours ago, magnetman said:

Maybe if there is a generator going all day they have a cannabis grow room in there.

If this is on the Thames the yellow boards are coming orf now but there are some lock closures.

Na on the KandA but hopefully soon will smell freedom:)

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

Nice one will check it out. Yeah we don't have access to tips and must take it to Cornwall when we visit. No wonder they leave large goods about.

Still though I turned out with my axe last time they came shopping them moved the boat sharpish. Nasty pair of specimen they were.

8 minutes ago, Captain P said:

I was hoping to find our if it was regularly the case with moored boats in groups but didn't get an answer sadly.

Wherever you moor in a group there will be someone that irritates you for various reasons.

We always tried to moor 'in the wilds' out on our own, I remember on one occasion, we were moored up for the evening, no other boats for miles (literally miles) when  a boat came up behind and slowed down sliding along the bank, gently hitting our stern fender. At that they jumped off and tied up with their bow fender overhanging our rudder.

Popped out to say "hello, that was a bit of a bump" and after they'd tied up, we upped sticks and moved half a mile or so further on.

Mind you when on holiday the Sister in law will walk miles along a deserted beach until she finds someone to sit next too, we walk miles away from folk to find somewhere quiet,

Nowt so queer as folk.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Captain P said:

I was hoping to find our if it was regularly the case with moored boats in groups but didn't get an answer sadly.

At this time of year generator or stationary engine running is very common due to no meaningful output from solar panels, combined with little cruising. It's how people do it that causes problems.

A neighbour running the boat's engine or a quiet suitcase style generator for an hour or two is not going to be as intrusive as running a cheap frame generator for 10 hours a day. On my home mooring there is a boat about 40 yards away with a Honda eu10 (the gold standard in quiet generators) and they run it a few hours a day in winter.....I still find that surprisingly intrusive. 

4 hours ago, Captain P said:

Thanks, will buy some and for the time being use them.

When I look at the ones you mentioned just before that, they seem to be the unpowered "filtering" type. Ear plugs with some kind of sound wave guide thing, the purpose of which isn't clear to me.

The Sony ones will be powered, "active noise cancellation" should be the phrase to look out for. And they're 5x the price of the passive ones.

There are cheaper active cancellation ones, but the ones I got were £100ish 18 months ago, and nothing remarkable.

On 29/11/2023 at 17:08, booke23 said:

At this time of year generator or stationary engine running is very common due to no meaningful output from solar panels, combined with little cruising. It's how people do it that causes problems.

A neighbour running the boat's engine or a quiet suitcase style generator for an hour or two is not going to be as intrusive as running a cheap frame generator for 10 hours a day. On my home mooring there is a boat about 40 yards away with a Honda eu10 (the gold standard in quiet generators) and they run it a few hours a day in winter.....I still find that surprisingly intrusive. 

Good to know, thanks for the info on this, will try to be closest to community but not button to button in future:)

On 29/11/2023 at 17:09, BWM said:

Maybe the travellers will return to relieve you of the problem..

Much as I fantasise about it wobbling it's way over the edge or me feeding it a delicious Mars bar; I just couldn't ha, matey is a friendly neighbour.

Will just learn my lesson for the future and stay in the bushes.

On 29/11/2023 at 14:34, magnetman said:

It was around that area (K&A near Reading) where the copper got dragged along by the stolen quad bike. 

Not a fluke. A concentration of bad people around there. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Andrew_Harper

Sulhamstead. 

That's the place, right near Uffton swing Bridge. We were hit by them not five minutes walk from the poor coppers memorial shrine.

On 29/11/2023 at 18:15, ditchcrawler said:

The boss often says, "dont stop here there is a genny on the deck"

I will think of the Boss's wize words when I moor in future. To be fair will stay on the edges and enjoy the birdsong of the cut.

On 29/11/2023 at 08:03, MartynG said:

What rules/regulations are being disobeyed here?

If you read my question it was asking is this normal? It wasn't asking how to deal with it or what rules are being broken. 

I was trying g to figure out how normal it was and wigh up the benefits and risks of living in a community. 

I do wish folks would read properly.

On 29/11/2023 at 14:12, Alan de Enfield said:

Wherever you moor in a group there will be someone that irritates you for various reasons.

We always tried to moor 'in the wilds' out on our own, I remember on one occasion, we were moored up for the evening, no other boats for miles (literally miles) when  a boat came up behind and slowed down sliding along the bank, gently hitting our stern fender. At that they jumped off and tied up with their bow fender overhanging our rudder.

Popped out to say "hello, that was a bit of a bump" and after they'd tied up, we upped sticks and moved half a mile or so further on.

Mind you when on holiday the Sister in law will walk miles along a deserted beach until she finds someone to sit next too, we walk miles away from folk to find somewhere quiet,

Nowt so queer as folk.

Ha, yeah I've experienced that strangeness in the past myself. 

Yeah we've decided to stay on the edge in future. 

To be fair we were on a canal bit and had to move, this was as far as we could go to avoid a spanking from the CRT.

Your right though there will always be an overfriendly one or a noisy one one that gives you the willies ha. 

40 minutes ago, Captain P said:

If you read my question it was asking is this normal? It wasn't asking how to deal with it or what rules are being broken. 

I asked the question because it is relevant.

If no rules/laws are being broken then you should deal with it by accepting it as being normal or move on.