Generator usage

Captain P

Featured Posts

Moored next to a lovely boat and get on very well with those on board.

Thing is since it got greyer this boats generator is going on from around 9/10ish until 7/8ish non stop.

I can't seem to think straight, I feel like I'm going nuts. They have a big TV and I think that's what's being powered.

We're stuck on redboards and there's no escaping the noise, I'm usually less involved in community and stick to the edges. 

We got hit by travellers thieving though so have started to get more social, is this usual in boat clusters? 

Think it way be less maddening in future to stay in the wild where I can live in peace and just risk it.

You could tell them the noise is driving you nuts, they might moderate their use. Or they might just tell you their batteries are knackered/or they need to run it due to ill health etc. 

1 hour ago, Captain P said:

I'm usually less involved in community and stick to the edges. 

Think it way be less maddening in future to stay in the wild where I can live in peace and just risk it.

Agreed. I never moor near other boats if I can for exactly these sorts of reasons. It's looking like the weather for the next 10 days is colder and potentially dryer so maybe you'll be off red boards soon and can just move.

6 hours ago, Captain P said:

Moored next to a lovely boat and get on very well with those on board.

Thing is since it got greyer this boats generator is going on from around 9/10ish until 7/8ish non stop.

I can't seem to think straight, I feel like I'm going nuts. They have a big TV and I think that's what's being powered.

We're stuck on redboards and there's no escaping the noise, I'm usually less involved in community and stick to the edges. 

We got hit by travellers thieving though so have started to get more social, is this usual in boat clusters? 

Maybe its an all electric boat 

• Haha 4

Hi @Captain P & welcome aboard the board.

For the gennie, I can only suggest being apologetic when telling them it bothers you; and ask whether they can limit the times until you move on.

9 hours ago, Captain P said:

We got hit by travellers thieving though so have started to get more social, [...]

Erk. 😞

I've been trying to make my stuff look dull and not worth pinching, but basically there are useful or valuable things and they have to be attached where they're needed.

Are you willing to tell about what got stolen / damaged?

8 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Noise cancelling headphones are fantastic

and also tend to work better on low frequency repetitive noise, although I haven't tried mine near an engine. (They're miles away in storage)

34 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

My daughter sometimes gets overwhelmed by busy social areas which was leading to panic attacks (think college canteen, busy pubs, large crowds etc.) so we got her a set of these which she loves.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0968HW8GY/

You must have more disposable income than the rest of us.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

So how much would you spend if you thought it could help a loved one with a problem they were having every day of the year ?

22 hours ago, Captain P said:

We're stuck on redboards

In what way?

I make my own judgement about whether I am willing to move on red boards. Sometimes the river is pathetically benign for red boards to be on. 

Or maybe you feel you can't due to insurance becoming invalid. Have you actually read your policy?

23 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Have you spoken to them about this, if you get on with them it shouldn't be a problem.

Failing that start blasting rock music when the gennie is running. 

No, to be fair I'm more a live and let live. Just wanted to know is this is an average issue so I can avoid community in future. And retain sanity ha.

22 hours ago, booke23 said:

You could tell them the noise is driving you nuts, they might moderate their use. Or they might just tell you their batteries are knackered/or they need to run it due to ill health etc. 

Agreed. I never moor near other boats if I can for exactly these sorts of reasons. It's looking like the weather for the next 10 days is colder and potentially dryer so maybe you'll be off red boards soon and can just move.

Yeah I think that being that he has mobility issues likely this is why its excessive as he's home all day.

Gonna get noise canceling headphones ang just avoid community living.

20 hours ago, Sue68 said:

Have a talk about solar panels saying how quiet they are 

He has an extensive system of solar, it's a very big TV and quite a big boat so I think that's why it's on so much.

15 hours ago, wakey_wake said:

Hi @Captain P & welcome aboard the board.

For the gennie, I can only suggest being apologetic when telling them it bothers you; and ask whether they can limit the times until you move on.

Erk. 😞

I've been trying to make my stuff look dull and not worth pinching, but basically there are useful or valuable things and they have to be attached where they're needed.

Are you willing to tell about what got stolen / damaged?

and also tend to work better on low frequency repetitive noise, although I haven't tried mine near an engine. (They're miles away in storage)

Hi thanks for the welcome, I'm just gonna grab some noise canceling headphones and avoid community I recon.

Tires off of our van were pinched, balanced on a bottlejack in the wind. The travellers were down poking about our boats recently so we decided to head to community.

In Aldermaston they wiped out a mates battery's and gas last year. Bunch of goits to take rverything from a poor man and against travellers code.

Were all locked up but in the back of beyond bolt cutters don't make much commotion.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe its an all electric boat 

Nah this is an outdoor noisy petrol genny.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

In what way?

I make my own judgement about whether I am willing to move on red boards. Sometimes the river is pathetically benign for red boards to be on. 

Or maybe you feel you can't due to insurance becoming invalid. Have you actually read your policy?

Even the fuel boat has had difficulty trying to move to deliver fuel and gave up. The community are keen to move on. Bit of a nasty place for us as the rivers are very swollen here.

Our engines canny take it captain, I listen to the red boards as when I haven't in the past it got hairy:)

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Captain P said:

He has an extensive system of solar, it's a very big TV and quite a big boat so I think that's why it's on so much.

Hi thanks for the welcome, I'm just gonna grab some noise canceling headphones and avoid community I recon.

Tires off of our van were pinched, balanced on a bottlejack in the wind. The travellers were down poking about our boats recently so we decided to head to community.

In Aldermaston they wiped out a mates battery's and gas last year. Bunch of goits to take rverything from a poor man and against travellers code.

Were all locked up but in the back of beyond bolt cutters don't make much commotion.

Nah this is an outdoor noisy petrol genny.

Even the fuel boat has had difficulty trying to move to deliver fuel and gave up. The community are keen to move on. Bit of a nasty place for us as the rivers are very swollen here.

Our engines canny take it captain, I listen to the red boards as when I haven't in the past it got hairy:)

Sounds like you're on the river Kennet? It's nasty on Red boards. 

Its terrible specially the weirs. Its going back a bit (2001) but I do recall coming out of one of the locks near Thatcham with a bit of water about and there was a weir immediately above the lock with a heck of a lot of pull. A large square section baulk of timber was 'protecting' the weir but as I exited the lock the starn end was pulled sideways and whacked into the wood quite hard. No harm done but the power of the water was quite good. Also done the Oxford/Cherwell in flood that was fun with no towpaths. 

Its not a nice part of the world around there too many scallies.