Price rises cause fear of eviction among boaters

blackrose

Featured Posts

Yes and it is really worth going for PIP because Universal Credit is going to change and become more aligned with PIP.

At the moment the Limited Capability for Work assessment on UC is a different process to PIP but it seems likely that over time the two things will become quite closely aligned.

If anyone is considering applying for PIP due to a disability now is the time to do it.

Loads of people on UC LCW and LCWRA are not eligible for PIP which seems to be a bit wrong.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Feeby100 said:

I went for pip and scored 0 bloody joke there turning everyone down 

They don't make it easy which is why about 70% of people who appeal win.

You need to get advice and support because the benefits agency and their contractors won't help you.

• Greenie 4

9 minutes ago, captain flint said:

This is a pretty depressing state of affairs, but I guess it is what it is. None of this applies to me personally, but it's stuff I think is important

Looks like things could get worse Six months to find a job or say goodbye to benefits: As Chancellor reveals millions of Brits on Universal Credit will face tough new rules to access welfare - could YOU be affected? | Daily Mail Online

• Angry 1

Good for votes.

I suppose if one were to cut benefits one could also cut taxes for richer people and draw them into the illusion that voting for the conservatives would be a good idea.

Maybe banning something is needed.

On 16/11/2023 at 20:19, Feeby100 said:

I went for pip and scored 0 bloody joke there turning everyone down 

I represented a man who was registered blind (severely impaired -  which is the highest level) who also scored zero on his assessment.

We did eventually get it sorted - but I still get messages asking if he is interested in a career in fork lift driving.

• Angry 2

Automation is the answer. 

Its so inefficient its scary. 

Let the machines to the work then people can have a proper fight over the money. 

Got a tonne of Pasta. We know where you live ! 

Hungry people are scary people. 

20 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Hungry people are scary people. 

In that case we should design some organdisations to supply them with foods to stop them being Hungry. Supply the foods as cheeply as possible so they can buy enough. Obviously the wages would have to be low to keep the foods cheep. I'm surprised no-one has thought of this eye deer b4. 

We could call the organdisations names like "Sinsbury", or similar....

19 hours ago, MtB said:

In that case, we should design some organdisations to supply them with food to stop them being Hungry. Supply the food as cheaply as possible so they can buy enough. Obviously, the wages would have to be low to keep the food cheep. I'm surprised no-one has thought of this eye deer b4. 

We could call the organdisations names like "Sinsbury", or similar....

8 minutes ago, Peanut said:

Software :(

That would be a zero-hour contract, we will pay you, just come in when we need you.

Edited by Peanut

3 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Only one week left in November now. The C&RT bad news is imminent!

Received my renewal notice today.

A 4% interim rise rise, taking my licence to £1195.60 with the 5% online prompt payment discount for a 60 foot boat.

A 9% increase will apply from 1st April 2024.

38 minutes ago, cuthound said:

A 9% increase will apply from 1st April 2024.

I got my renewal notice yesterday.  No mention of a 9% rise _next_ April, but from _last_ April (as well as the 4% in Oct '22).  I'm of the opinion that we're going to get stung with inflation +10%....

On 13/11/2023 at 21:53, magnetman said:

I didn't know there was a 'programme' last night as have no telly or 'feeds' but the Captain Tom story was different to a normal charity. 

Obviously one expects some charity scumminess it is normal but when terrible arseholes like this hijack something like the covids, which did cause a lot of people significant problems, for their own financial gain they need to be taken out and shot.

The old git may have been alright but the family, who are not poverty stricken, took advantage when their education should have indicated  otherwise. If course there is nothing new under the sun with these types and they squeal if found out but no it is not acceptable. 

They are Bad News. Nobody wants this sort of scum around. 

People were having a really shit time during the covids and looking for some positives then some arseholes build a swimming pool in their garden using money handed to them during a time of crisis. 

Its nasty. 

I never well almost never give to main stream charities because they cream off so much in expenses. We have returned to our home in Goa India having sold the boat still miss it. We do charity by buying 100 veg patties in a small bread roll total cost 20 pence each drive round the local area and give out to the daily wage workers on the road side. Nothing better than seeing the food going into the hand then the mouth with no middle men creaming off their cut. 
We were CC full time for the 3.5 years we had the boat and so enjoyed it winter summer and what ever the uk weather Gods sent us. Next adventure off road camping in Australia for 4 to 6 months. See canning stock route on YouTube for a taste of what we are doing. 
All the best to all boaters 

Ken & Denise

• Greenie 1

On 16/11/2023 at 18:46, captain flint said:

Thanks, I did not know this, makes sense and good to know..

You also said: "People who are too disorganised to get involved in claims for state assistance when they are eligible should not be living on boats in the first [...]. This type of person should be looked after by the state rather than being the responsibility of the navigation authority.

I do not disagree with this but I think I am right in saying that people suffering ADHD do not qualify for disability allowance, so there might be a question mark over whether that actually happens in reality. Really acute sufferers can really struggle, although it may be that the right diagnosis and meds can help them, enough, I don't know

My youngest daughter has ADHD (among other problems) you are right it doesn't count as a disability.  Even before the medication she managed to qualify with a degree and diploma despite dyslexia being one of the other problems.

So ADHD isn't a disability it is something sufferers learn to live with and work round.  She now holds down a job requiring quite a degree of responsibility and autonomy.

The meds did improve her day to day life considerably but they are now in short supply nationally.

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

My youngest daughter has ADHD (among other problems) you are right it doesn't count as a disability.  Even before the medication she managed to qualify with a degree and diploma despite dyslexia being one of the other problems.

So ADHD isn't a disability it is something sufferers learn to live with and work round.  She now holds down a job requiring quite a degree of responsibility and autonomy.

The meds did improve her day to day life considerably but they are now in short supply nationally.

Whether ADHD counts as a disability is a contentious subject.

Certainly there are people who successfully claim PIP (Personal Independence Payment, which is one of the main benefits given to disabled people) because of their ADHD. So it is accepted that it can have disabling symptoms.

Many ADHD people / People with ADHD don't like being referred to as disabled, and just having an ADHD diagnosis doesn't automatically qualify you for PIP.

The effects of ADHD vary greatly from person to person, in some it can mean they are unable to work, so disabled is probably an accurate description.

For others, like your daughter, it may still be possible to work, although I have no doubt she has to work harder and overcome barriers that are not visible or obvious to others, and having parents who are understanding and supportive no doubt helps as well.