48ft narrowboat Leisure Boat

kats

Featured Posts

Hi,

We have been looking for our first boat for a couple of months now. One surveyed boat later and we are still looking. We originally thought we wanted 60ishfoot but have decided that for a leisure boat we probably don't need this much space. 

We have seen a boat online but is quite a distance from us. It's a 2019 48foot built by Nick Thorpe. This was first on for about 77,000 and recently reduced to 70,000. After looking at 60 footers this seems very reasonable or is this about right for a boat of this size/age? There also seems to be a lot fewer boats for sale around this length?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Katherine

1 minute ago, kats said:

Hi, it was built in 2019 by Nick Thorpe/Cunliffe boats

The "Builder" is often not the same person or firm constructing the steelwork. 

Who constructed the bare steel hull, is the info being requested! 

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/nick-thorpe-48-cruiser-stern-for-sale/745160

I think it’s this one?

It looks OK to me, depending what you are looking for. Four year old boat for £70k seems a reasonable price? Looks to be in good condition. 1500 hours usage of the engine. 

Composting toilet is a controversial subject- best search on here for discussions over them. 

If I remember rightly the rudders have 'NT' cut in them. 

I moved one a while ago- Hull swam and handled well. Remember this as people kept asking me what the NT stood for and had a conversation with one boater about how it handled.I cant actually remember which boat is was now but do remember thinking it was a rather pleasant boat all in all if thats any help 🙂

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

Like so many  boats, the galley has sharp corners just waiting to catch you as you walk past. Why don't builders round corners?

Because it’s more work, adds another possibility of damaging an expensive worktop and depending on radius can give substantially less useable space. But you’re right, and I’ll be rounding mine when I get to that stage.  

52 minutes ago, haggis said:

Like so many  boats, the galley has sharp corners just waiting to catch you as you walk past. Why don't builders round corners?

Does it? 

The worktops look rounded to me in the photos.

I suppose there is a slightly sharp corner on the stove back wall.

image.png.fc981753e3106ac38515a393fadf0457.png

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

Does it? 

The worktops look rounded to me in the photos.

I suppose there is a slightly sharp corner on the stove back wall.

image.png.fc981753e3106ac38515a393fadf0457.png

Everthing in that pic looks like it has rounded corners to me. The sink, the windows,the bowl,the kettle, the cushions, the work surfaces and the kitchen roll. It couldn't be more rounded.

Edited by rusty69

11 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Composting toilet is a controversial subject- best search on here for discussions over them. 

But very easily removed and replaced with a cassette toilet as they are not plumbed in and may even not be attached to the floor 

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

If I remember rightly the rudders have 'NT' cut in them. 

Yes

Nick Thorpe built  our hull for us. Workmanship in 2015 was excellent , its a much admired boat. As for the rest of the fitting out we did ourselves so cannot comment on other than the hull and superstructure. I think he has probably built more than 130 boats in his time. Cheers. Mick

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, haggis said:

Oops! Just had another look and yes there is rounding. I blame my early morning eyes 🙂 . The corners definitely looked sharp earlier! 

Maybe the builder went back and rounded them after seeing you comment...🤣

• Haha 2

Thank you for all your comments so far, they have been really helpful. The other concern I have is if a boat has been sat on brockeridge for over a month. Would you see this as a red flag or is it just a boat of this size is less popular?

54 minutes ago, kats said:

Thank you for all your comments so far, they have been really helpful. The other concern I have is if a boat has been sat on brockeridge for over a month. Would you see this as a red flag or is it just a boat of this size is less popular?

I would say size, most want 57ft and composting loo. which is very easy to sort if you don't like it.

The two singles may put alot of people off.

I would prefer a double there that you could at least walk round one side.

But then to be fair I couldnt afford it anyhow- I just work on the theory if I could it would have to be what I wanted..or willing to adapt..

2 hours ago, kats said:

I'd say it just means it is over-priced.