Colwich Lock broken

Grassman

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

It's struck me that Golden Glow might be brewed to the same reciepe as another beer (the best in the whole wide world IMHO) brewed not a million miles away from Delph BottomLock.

It might be the same recipe, but it's not as good. At least, compared to the other beer when served in the pub which shall not be misnamed... 😉

Edited by IanD

24 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

It's struck me that Golden Glow might be brewed to the same recipe as another beer (the best in the whole wide world IMHO) brewed not a million miles away from Delph Bottom Lock.

Well, when you’re next over we can do the blind fold test 👍

I have to say I do recommend the Plum Pudding for a pint of Golden Glow. 
I’ve ignored this boozer for a long time, 

really only discovered it this year

But it’s now one of my regular stop overs.

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

You got a photo?

I’m gonna wanna get through there tomorrow 

image.thumb.jpeg.fdfc785b877c31b7b44d6567aacee7f2.jpeg

1000003027.jpg

It happened about 2.30pm. A boat had just gone down in front of us and as they closed the top gate before descending they said there was a loud cracking noise.

A boat then came up and a few of us managed to open the gate by lifting the sagging end of the beam off the ground. We went down it using the same method. It was only the handrail that had prevented it breaking off completely and one end of that had begun to come adrift from its fixings. 

Then a CRT person who had been doing some vegetation clearance in nearby Rugeley, turned up and closed it. Apparently more CRT staff arrived shortly afterwards and said they planned on returning tomorrow to effect a temporary repair.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

The whole gate is rotten. 

Interesting to see what the approach is there. A quick bodge and it is the end of the season but surely it needs a new gate.

Is there a date plate on the gate ?

The collar strap seems the wrong way round. another bodge ? 

Edited by magnetman

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Interesting to see what the approach is there. A quick bodge and it is the end of the season but surely it needs a new gate.

I suppose a month closure to make and fit a new gate is better than 24 hrs for a bodge that keeps it working

We passed through there on Monday and can't say it seemed any worse than many other locks. Since the balance beam is still attached (and therefore counterbalancing the gate) if one came across the same situation on one's travels would it be reasonable to put a loop of rope over the mitre post and open the gate that way (so not putting any stress on the balance beam itself) or is that likely to cause other damage? I kind of get that if the balance beam had completely broken off and was no longer counterbalancing the gate you could possibly jam the gate open if you tried to use that method (although in theory the heel bands should still hold the gate in place).

Just a thought.

7 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Its a worry and CRT really have got well behind on a lot of maintanance.

We spend a fair bit of time on the Rochdale and accept that some under-used Northern canals might be a little neglected, but I am surprised and worried about the state of many mainstream canals. The T&M is the Four Counties Ring and should be well ooked after. Star lock in Stone is looking desparate, a big accident is possible, and in the last couple of days we have seen some pretty sad locks on the Grand Union approaching Leamington. Its not good.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

We passed through there on Monday and can't say it seemed any worse than many other locks. Since the balance beam is still attached (and therefore counterbalancing the gate) if one came across the same situation on one's travels would it be reasonable to put a loop of rope over the mitre post and open the gate that way (so not putting any stress on the balance beam itself) or is that likely to cause other damage? I kind of get that if the balance beam had completely broken off and was no longer counterbalancing the gate you could possibly jam the gate open if you tried to use that method (although in theory the heel bands should still hold the gate in place).

Just a thought.

I've passed through a lock with a missing beam using a combination of rope and short shaft to open\close the gate.

Haywood lock beam is currently held together with metal plates, I presume the same could be done at Colwich.

10 hours ago, magnetman said:

It's a 2006 so hasn't even reached the 25 year supposed lifetime.

If there's a winter stoppage it might well mess up our winter offside vegetation cutting programme  😟

20 minutes ago, Grassman said:

It's a 2006 so hasn't even reached the 25 year supposed lifetime.

If there's a winter stoppage it might well mess up our winter offside vegetation cutting programme  😟

Any update on the repair. We are at Fradley wondering whether to move.

11 hours ago, BEngo said:

The best beer in the whole wide world was Tetley's bitter,  brewed in Leeds.  Alas, it is no more.

N

As a teenager in the South I was put off beer by Red Barrel and such. Then on holiday in Yorkshire by Bradford born father in law introduced me to Tetley's and I was hooked 

I’ve always found Colwich top gate a hard one to open. Possibly a result of leaking bottom gates (and the lack of an offside ground paddle??).

Timber isn’t a homogenous material and is prone to inherent weakness that’s not necessarily easy to spot. The number of failed gates does appear to be rising but if it is a consequence of CRT inaction it’ll be more about renewal rather than maintenance.

In other news I used to frequent the Bar Hotel (but really just a pub) at Micklegate, York, for a perfectly served post-work pint or two of Tetley’s bitter.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 hours ago, pearley said:

As a teenager in the South I was put off beer by Red Barrel and such. Then on holiday in Yorkshire by Bradford born father in law introduced me to Tetley's and I was hooked 

Tetley's was OK when properly served if you like that kind of bland brown beer with a creamy head, I also used to drink a lot of it when younger.

Now I know better... 😉

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, IanD said:

Tetley's was OK when properly served if you like that kind of bland brown beer with a creamy head, I also used to drink a lot of it when younger.

Now I know better... 😉

Actually got into Mild a few years ago so always go for that if available.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, pearley said:

Actually got into Mild a few years ago so always go for that if available.

I’ve always thought of mild as a midlands thing,

My dad was always a mild drinker until he moved to Somerset where it ain’t to be found. 

Its traditionally a weak beer regards alcohol content. 

People would often have half and half,

half mild half bitter,

I think Sam Smiths pubs always have a mild on?

2 hours ago, Grassman said:

Yes I heard that as well. Fair play to them 👍

Nice to see/pass you today Grassman,

I’m sure I’ve seen your boat about a few time.