I lost the key to the padlock on the rear door of my Norman 27

Featured Posts

Hi I'm new to boating I have a Norman 27 river cruiser. It is secured with a simple padlock on the rear door an I unfortunately lost the key to it. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to offer me any advice. I'm not exactly mechanically minded so any help would be very much appreciated. Cheers guys

Eh??? All the above advice is far too long winded. Put some tension on the lock barrel using a tensioning tool, then 'rake' the pins with a lock pick, or even something fashioned like a lock pick, such as a paper clip or hairclip. If raking doesn't work, bumping pins probably will. If THAT doesn't work, you're into single pin picking.

What is the make & model of padlock, you can probably find a video on YouTube of how to pick it.

41 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Are you in a marina? Somebody will have some bolt croppers (standard kit for weedhatch use). Otherwise ask other moored boaters although they might suspect you of breaking in!

No I haven't found a mooring for it yet but I'm about half a mile from a marina so yea it might be asking someone their for help. Thank you 😊

46 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Are you near a boat yard or another boat who might have power tools. 

Yea there's a few boats nearby I'll give them a shout an see if they can help. It's worth a shot. Thanks 😊

13 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Depends on the quality of the padlock a short sharp tap with a hammer will either peeaknit off or cause the pin to jump...

Every one should have one, amazing tool!

I'll look into getting one. Thanks for the advice 😊

1 minute ago, Stroudwater1 said:

It depends on the type, cheap ones can easily be cut with a hacksaw.

Maybe the previous owner knows if a spare key somewhere? 

Previous owner or owner ? 

I have a 30 inch bowsaw with a carbide bandsaw blade on it but am not local. 

Powder actuated Hilti nail gun always fun for padlocks. 

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Previous owner or owner ? 

Months after we bought our boat  through the post came a spare key in an envelope and a note from the previous owner saying he had found another spare key, wasn’t that kind. 

The previous owner may have one somewhere, long shot I appreciate! We don’t know the padlock. Some are blooming costly, ours thankfully came with the boat and are £150 each 

2 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Looks a relatively easy one. 

I can do a standard yale lock in about 15 seconds. 

Made my own tensioning tool and pick with windscreen wiper blade springs. 

I did my own front door in one second flat on my first attempt. A single rake action and open it came. 

I always used the Chubb lock after that. 

16 minutes ago, MtB said:

I did my own front door in one second flat on my first attempt. A single rake action and open it came. 

I always used the Chubb lock after that. 

A rake is a lot less fun than individual pin picking. 

He's good. 

Must have made a pretty penny with over 4m subscribers and a billion views ! 

I like the Ramset gun. 

Not subscribed to any youtube channels myself and rarely watch these sorts of things but I did pick out a few of his more amusing ones as they are well presented. 

One of the best ones