Spotters

Momac

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am surprised seeing them inside boats and inside pram hoods

I'd have thought old boats are so draughty that any dangerous gas would be blown out before doing damage. Probably modern ones with double glazing and decent doors are riskier.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Just to clarify, I'm not asserting the rate is one in 50 years.

I'm just pointing out that the only case I'm aware of is the one where the gas bod illegally modified the exhaust on his and died as a result, and asking if there have been any other fatalities caused by portable generators. 

Nobody so far has come up with any other cases, and folk citing other types of fatalities instead suggests to me there are none to find. I'll be perfectly happy to accept any more reports of fatalities caused by portable gennies but in the meantime, when anyone asserts its seriously dangerous to run a portable genny on their boat, I'll continue to ask for evidence.

Apparently there have nearly been a fair few fatalities from folk running frame generators on their boats after 8PM, but thats not really the Carbon monoxides responsibility 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, they've now added a "sightings" tab to your online CRT account (under "My boats") so you can see where you've been seen

It's interesting what isn't recorded [transit through Keadby, Foxton and a few other very systematic vollie-operated locks, my Salthouse booking, mooring in front of CRT offices in Brum... or anywhere else in Brum] and I can see how people take the mick on 2 day moorings...

On 28/08/2023 at 13:48, matty40s said:

One thing that is NOT on is having a boat in a NAA free marina and taking it out on a jolly for a few days over the bank holiday using the marina/brokerages trade plates!!

I will be reporting it tommorow.

Follow up to this one....chap managed to get to Stoke Bruerne where he broke down! Whiltons repair van arrived at the same time as the boat checkers. 

The general policy in this kind of licence evasion is to make a full annual licence purchase mandatory for the offending vessel.🙂

45 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

Interestingly, they've now added a "sightings" tab to your online CRT account (under "My boats") so you can see where you've been seen

It's interesting what isn't recorded [transit through Keadby, Foxton and a few other very systematic vollie-operated locks, my Salthouse booking, mooring in front of CRT offices in Brum... or anywhere else in Brum] and I can see how people take the mick on 2 day moorings...

I'm guessing they only log you out and about if you have no declared home mooring?

I checked ours for fun, and the only sightings are the marinas where we've been based.

We've definitely been clocked by spotters a few times when out cruising.

Sightings.jpg

When I rocked up at a booked lock on the the Trent I was halted ,  they would not put me through.  I'd not updated insurance policy number, so the IT systems are not fully integrated, else CRT spotters should be aware.

PS I don't think the CRT should update all boaters with info day to day, as there are folks who consider that moving 500m is "navigation"

Edited by LadyG

On 01/09/2023 at 07:43, Tonka said:

My wife was born in Addiscombe and my 2 daughters were born in Mayday. We got out of there in 2007 so I know what you are not saying

I was born in New Addington at #15 xxx moved to #19 xxx when 4 and left when 21 never to rtn but to visit parents. 

14 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

I'm guessing they only log you out and about if you have no declared home mooring?

I checked ours for fun, and the only sightings are the marinas where we've been based.

We've definitely been clocked by spotters a few times when out cruising.

Sightings.jpg

No - we have quite a  few sightings listed and are declared as having a home mooring

Are the "out and about" sightings when moored, and not when moving then?

The spotters we saw clocked us as we passed them, and one was when we were locking. I dunno, clutching at straws here.

Although i've seen on the book of face that some people's boats were spotted on canals they've not even been on.

Presumably boats are occasionally given name and number of a different craft.

I always thought one had to display the original index number plate but apparently having the number painted on is alright. 

Seems a bit of a green light. 

Just randomly pick a generic boat fron the boat list and give your similar boat the same name and number. 

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Just randomly pick a generic boat fron the boat list and give your similar boat the same name and number. 

Yes I've often thought this must happen quite a bit too.

Works great either way around. If your license number donor boat is properly licensed etc, you get no hassle from CRT. If your license number donor boat is not licensed, out of the water or off CRT waters, its owner still gets the hassle not you. 

I think genuine CRT plates should be displayed. 

21 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I had always assumed this was the whole object of difficult to forge number plates but it came up in another thread quite recently and the requirement is to display the number not the actual plate. 

Strange oversight. 

Yes I know, I was agreeing with you. The official CRT plates should be mandatory, not just displaying the painted on number. Far more difficult to forge. 

• Greenie 1

Yes. 

Until recently in a fact a thread on here this summer I had assumed that this was the requirement. It was established that the legal requirement is only to have the number displayed. 

This leads me to misunderstand the object of having these customised pressed plates in the first place. 

Very odd. 

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Are the "out and about" sightings when moored, and not when moving then?

The spotters we saw clocked us as we passed them, and one was when we were locking. I dunno, clutching at straws here.

Although i've seen on the book of face that some people's boats were spotted on canals they've not even been on.

yes, I’ve been clocked while on the move and clocked when in a lock. 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

From Kelpies records, Park farm Marina is checked every month

Same at Droitwich. We're only missing on the months we've been out and about.

Knew we were spotted last week near Selly Oak as the spotter waved at us and walked along next to us trying to catch the number as the plates are in the rear portholes. But he saw us again a few days later at Queen's Head below Tardebigge where we'd stopped for lunch.

Nothing at all for the entire trip earlier in the year up the Shroppie, down to Llangollen and then Chester,, then back down the Shroppie, the S&W and Severn to Worcester, until we got up near Droitwich again when we were spotted above Hanbury.

I reckon the West Mids checker is very active !

On 23/08/2023 at 16:02, Alan de Enfield said:

There are many marinas (I think we listed about 20 the last time this was raised) that predate the NAA and therefore do not either have to pay C&RT 9% of their moorings income, or, insist that the boats have to have a licence.

Newark marina (River Trent) being one, Shobnall Marina (T&M) another, and Whilton (GU) being another. They are spread all over the system.

I believe Farndon is another.

2 hours ago, haggis said:

From Kelpies records, Park farm Marina is checked every month

I believe Burton Waters was an well. 

Easy pickings I suspect!

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I had always assumed this was the whole object of difficult to forge number plates but it came up in another thread quite recently and the requirement is to display the number not the actual plate. 

Strange oversight. 

I have never had an index number plate in the sense of a metal plate .

I bought my first boat  in 2008.

My first boat had to be freshly registered with BW as it had previously not been on inland waters. BW supplied vinyl sticker index numbers. My present boat was registered but had no index plates or stickers. I  printed the index on paper and display it in a window on both sides of the boat.

The index number is also on the self printed paper license of course. 

Stickers with index numbers can be ordered online from private sources 

Edited by MartynG

The reg plates on one of my boats are missing and CRT sent me a polite letter telling me to put the number on. They enclosed, for my convenience, the most ghastly pair of plates printed up using some sort of desktop publisher and encapsulated in that horrid clear plastic film you do in a machine on the desk. 

I threw them away and emailed asking if they would make me a pair of proper pressed ally plates. I never heard back.