Help! I just caught myself polishing brass!

HenryFreeman

Featured Posts

I'm not sure how or why it happened but I noticed I was stood on the gunwalls with a tub of brasso and two cloths (one for applying the brasso, the other for polishing).

Has this happened to you? What did you do about it? Is there some medicine you can take? A support group maybe?

What if just polishing the mushroom vents isn't enough? Where does it stop??

Any advice would be greatfully received from any ex-brass polishers!

I do have some loverly shiny mushroom vents now though...

Edited by HenryFreeman
  • Haha 2
  • Horror 1

Just now, Tonka said:

are those mushroom vents popped riveted on. Who made that?

That particular mushroom vent is a replacement. To cut a long story short(ish), one of the mushroom vents covers got stolen and it turns out it's an unusual size (something like 6 1/2" diameter) which meant I couldn't find another similar one to replace it with. So boat yard welded on a plate and attached a smaller vent to it. I *think* it's possibly the paint that has gone over it that looks like a pop rivet but I have a feeling it's just a screw holding it in place. Will check when I go back to the boat later.

As for who made the boat, according to Canalplan's Boat Listing, it's "Glastron Carlson" but the surveyor I had when I bought it seemed to think it was more likely an old Liverpool Boats boat. I have some recollection there's a stamped plate in the bow. I'll check that when I get back.

just don't lacquer them 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

A friend advises me  that the Royal Navy consider it a bad show to polish brass. I’m not sure that’s quite right as much brass is polished when I see naval events.

Perhaps it’s just the top brass that can lack polish? 

yes the Navy do or did polish brass in WW2

my dad was a stoker 1st class and had to polish a huge diving bell. When the officer went home for the weekend my dad painted it thinking that would save him a job

the officer went mad on his return and guess who got a charge and ordered to strip the paint and polish the bell

Interesting way to attach mushroom vent. 

Seems a little counter intuitive but if they are sensible rivets there is not a lot wrong with it. 

I suppose there could be leakage but presumably they will have added pu or silicone sealant to help. 

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

A friend advises me  that the Royal Navy consider it a bad show to polish brass. I’m not sure that’s quite right as much brass is polished when I see naval events.

Perhaps it’s just the top brass that can lack polish? 

You're right not to be sure about your friend's advice - it's bolleaux. The answer to your  question is that very little involving the RN lacks polish, including the top brass. :captain:

41 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Interesting way to attach mushroom vent. 

Seems a little counter intuitive but if they are sensible rivets there is not a lot wrong with it. 

I suppose there could be leakage but presumably they will have added pu or silicone sealant to help. 

The replacement mushroom vent was quite a bit smaller than the original one so the hole was too big and so as a result had to weld on a mounting plate to fit the new one. Could not find a similar sized replacement anywhere (at the time, a few years ago)