How to stop embers from my chimney burning my cratch cover

Hevs

Featured Posts

Do you have a stove thermometer? This can be attached to the flue and is a handy indicator of whether the stove is burning hot enough to prevent creation of large amounts of creosote from a wood fire:

image.png.7db347044b56558b34433a46a7933f1c.png

Edited by alias

1 hour ago, Hevs said:

I don't smoke! So it's definitely not me. It is predominantly on the side closest to my stove, I can see black ash and scorch marks on the roof all around the chimney and I caught it once when it was going like the clappers at night time. The chimney was glowing orange and there with embers flying out. Some holes were about the size of the tip of my thumb, others tiny.

The chimney was glowing orange? That sounds very unhealthy - as has been suggested - chimney fire? Nothing should be getting so hot it glows...

OP, do you have a plate that comes out diagonally in the back of your stove? You shouldn't be able to see the entrance to the flue (I believe you said you had a squirrel).

If you don't, have fun replacing it! Not a fun job, you will need to take all the fire bricks out to fit it. It's the worst game of tetris you've ever played. I had to do it this past winter!

download.jpg

• Greenie 1

Morso squirrel with no back boiler should definetly have a baffle plate.

1 minute ago, DShK said:

OP, do you have a plate that comes out diagonally in the back of your stove? You shouldn't be able to see the entrance to the flue (I believe you said you had a squirrel).

If you don't, have fun replacing it! Not a fun job, you will need to take all the fire bricks out to fit it. It's the worst game of tetris you've ever played. I had to do it this past winter!

download.jpg

I always found the baffle plate fairly easy to remove. The backboiler, now that is a game of tetris.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, DShK said:

download.jpg

I have a baffle plate! 😓 Just checked and I found the brick too

1 hour ago, Hevs said:

I don't smoke! So it's definitely not me. It is predominantly on the side closest to my stove, I can see black ash and scorch marks on the roof all around the chimney and I caught it once when it was going like the clappers at night time. The chimney was glowing orange and there with embers flying out. Some holes were about the size of the tip of my thumb, others tiny.

Was there a wind up?

22 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Joke as in Axminster carpet. 😁

Coming down in stair rods 

Anyone under fifty will never have seen a stair rod.

13 hours ago, D Ash said:

Feeling burnt out, as it happens!

But yes, a wind may cause a fire to draw too fast. hence my question.

I never leave my stove on a windy day unless it is established and quiescent.

14 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I got it,  It was a step in the right direction

Most would fear to tread in that direction, you just piled right in, you should get a gripper of yourself and get back to the underlaying issue of this thread ;) 

• Haha 3
  • Horror 1