Narrow boat or....

Bubblebuster

Featured Posts

Not to cause division, but what is the attraction of owning a  GRP boat rather than a narrow boat. Does tradition trump the latter and  is cost the final arbiter as it seems to me that you get more 'bangs for your bucks' with a GRP craft than you do for a narrow boat.

Money being no object then a narrow boat is in a class all of it's own but conversely the cheaper and let's face it the sleeker, gets more of us afloat.

Cost has to be a starter.

Then " boatiness", some thing a sewer tube does not really have.

Then suitability for waters outside the purview of EA and CRT..

I also think running costs of GRP  might work out lower, over the long term.

N

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

GRP 'boats' are normally conventional 'boat shaped' and in proper 'boat proportions'.

No one in their right mind would produce a square box, 7 feet wide and 7 feet high x 50 - 60 -70 feet long. No aesthetics and can only be described as a 'sewer tube'.

That's outrageous. I totally disagree. They can also be described as a floating skip. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Bubblebuster said:

Not to cause division, but what is the attraction of owning a  GRP boat rather than a narrow boat.

Price. Nothing else, if you are canal cruising. Bloody cold in winter, hard to fit good heating into.

If you are river cruising for holidays and leisure and like to venture into easturies and the sea , a big GRP works quite well but they are not cheap. 

Some say that the amount of fun you can have on a boat is inversely proportional to its size. That being said, it's not much fun being blown all over the river or canal on a gusty day in light GRP boat that won't hold its position in the water.

Edited by blackrose

29 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No one in their right mind would produce a square box, 7 feet wide and 7 feet high x 50 - 60 -70 feet long. No aesthetics and can only be described as a 'sewer tube'.

History doesn't record just how many bottles of port were consumed each by the directors and consulting engineer of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company, at the meeting where they decide that 70' long by 7' beam was the ideal size boat to design their new canal around. Given the prodigious capacity for alcohol consumption of 18th century gentlemen, it must have been a considerable number.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

History doesn't record just how many bottles of port were consumed each by the directors and consulting engineer of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company, at the meeting where they decide that 70' long by 7' beam was the ideal size boat to design their new canal around. Given the prodigious capacity for alcohol consumption of 18th century gentlemen, it must have been a considerable number.

Another example of account ants making all the company decisions ................. "if we make it only suitable for a 7 foot wide boat we won't have to pay for as much 'dirt' to be shifted, and, it'll be quicker'.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Another example of account ants making all the company decisions ................. "if we make it only suitable for a 7 foot wide boat we won't have to pay for as much 'dirt' to be shifted, and, it'll be quicker'.

Where did they get their inspiration from? Neither skips, or sewer tubes had been invented yet. Or were skips and sewer tubes inspired by narrow boats?

More seriously, the Harecastle Tunnel was likely a big factor in the 7' beam decision. It being probably the most difficult civil engineering project at that time in England since the Romans had left. Reducing the tunnel bore size helped a lot.

Narrowboats are perfect for the canals and some folks seem to like living on them.

Boats more suited to rivers and the sea tend to be distinctly different to narrowboats. They may be steel or GRP construction. Not usually live aboard boats.

There are some small. GRP cruisers usually with outboard petrol engines that are okay on rivers and canals. Not big enough to live on but there are always exceptions.

Take your pick.

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

Price. Nothing else, if you are canal cruising. Bloody cold in winter, hard to fit good heating into.

If you are river cruising for holidays and leisure and like to venture into easturies and the sea , a big GRP works quite well but they are not cheap. 

GRPs are certainly not best for winter cruising due to their often wonderfully large windows and lack of insulation, but it's inaccurate to say that they are difficult to heat, because usually the cabin volume is small and low output heaters cope very well indeed. I have a Taylors diesel heater with a 2kw output and zero 12v requirement, plus a Chinese Eberspacher knock-off that can almost instantly produce 2-5kw, and we are never cold.

37 minutes ago, blackrose said:

it's not much fun being blown all over the river or canal on a gusty day in light GRP boat that won't hold its position in the water.

Dare I suggest that you don't regularly cruise in a grp cruiser. We have covered nearly 600 miles this summer alone, including on days with high winds, when we've hardly seen steel narrowboats moving at all. Yes, they are light weight, but they also usually have a 'v' shaped hull profile and a shallow full length keel, which actually grips the water surprisingly well. There is, as with all boat types, a technique for close quarters boat handling, but it's easy to pick up and losing control in windy conditions has never been a problem for us; ever! In addition, the power to weight ratio is usually much higher than with a steel NB and a GRP is much nimbler and able to change orientation and speed quickly in order to avoid a collision that would be impossible to avoid in a 70' long 18 tonne NB.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

GRP 'boats' are normally conventional 'boat shaped' and in proper 'boat proportions'.

Some of the designs for those large continental  river cruisers you see  advertised on TV can give our  sewer tubes a run for their money. Totally without character, soulless,  and the nearest thing I have seen to the "Box shaped vessel" which, for those who have studied stability for sea going certificates, will be a familiar term when being taught the basics of stability.

Howard

9 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

If you buy a shaft drive diesel, then you MUST have a weed hatch above the propeller, as you will occasionally pick up rope or plastic or weed that will halt your progress, and without one you are stuck; unless you can swim!

Not entirely true, though a weed hatch is a  good idea.  Most items can be removed from the prop with a combination of a sharpened  boat hook and some practice.  Really awkward stuff, like spring mattresses will be hard either way.

I reckon to average one weed hatch dive a season in a steel narrowboat.

N

20 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Most items can be removed from the prop with a combination of a sharpened  boat hook and some practice.  Really awkward stuff, like spring mattresses will be hard either way.

Or the alternative ..................

My JIC 'kit'. (the full 1/2 hour  one and then the 10m hose to a big cylinder on board, and the 5-minute quick inspection one.)

CAM00440.jpg

metalsub-hookah-din-piston-10-m-regulator-set.jpg

IMG_20160924_101301.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

15 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Most items can be removed from the prop with a combination of a sharpened  boat hook and some practice.

I'd check that this is possible before buying a grp without a hatch: with an aft cabin, there is no safe way to hang over the side anywhere near to the propeller to give a suitable angle of attack with a boat hook or similar. The only option for using a boat hook would be to use it from ashore and we have travelled many a river where shore access is impossible.

In the Nene this year we went through a stretch that was covered in thick blanket weed. After a few hundred yards the propeller had been turned into a green blanket weed football, with only the very tips of the blades visible. Even with a weed hatch and a very sharp serrated knife, it was a real struggle to clear the prop.

Having owned both, 2 narrowboats and a GRP cruiser, I prefered the cruiser although all the disadvantages posted applied. It was nimbler, it was nicer to sit in and drive and the cabin was better although smaller than both my narrowboats. I wasn't a live aboard and I don't think I would have considered living on my cruiser. The cruiser was a lot cheaper to buy than both my narrowboats. As for windy conditions, I had problems with windy conditions with all my boats. If the wind took the cruiser when trying to moor up it was much easier to control than both my narrowboats as it was very much lighter.

16 minutes ago, pete.i said:

Having owned both, 2 narrowboats and a GRP cruiser, I prefered the cruiser although all the disadvantages posted applied. It was nimbler, it was nicer to sit in and drive and the cabin was better although smaller than both my narrowboats. I wasn't a live aboard and I don't think I would have considered living on my cruiser. The cruiser was a lot cheaper to buy than both my narrowboats. As for windy conditions, I had problems with windy conditions with all my boats. If the wind took the cruiser when trying to moor up it was much easier to control than both my narrowboats as it was very much lighter.

I 100% agree.

34 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The main advantage of a GRP boat over a steel narrowboat on a canal is the ability to charge past moored boat leaving a huge wash and not get shouted at... :)

My GRP boat's got waterski towing eyes on the back! 

35 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The main advantage of a GRP boat over a steel narrowboat on a canal is the ability to charge past moored boat leaving a huge wash and not get shouted at... :)

It's certainly true to say that a grp only displaces 2 tonnes of water as it passes moored boats, whereas a large steel NB may displace 18 tonnes of water. It is therefore true that one can pass a moored boat in a grp cruiser faster than can a heavy NB without causing any surging, forwards and backwards of that moored boat.

Yet another reason why grp cruisers are not only better in many ways for their owners, but also potentially for other boat owners.

1 hour ago, Bargebuilder said:

It's certainly true to say that a grp only displaces 2 tonnes of water

My GRP cruiser weighed in at 11 tonnes on its last lift out. (The engines are about 500kg each)

At 5-6 knts there is barely a ripple behind her - very aquadynamically shaped - no great pile of water being pushed up by a blunt bow.