Roof Paint

DavidPeckham

Featured Posts

Hi all, I know it's a bit daft trying to identify paint from a photo but just posting in case it's something standard I'm unaware of - the roof paint in picture is a very bright slate grey with a hint of blue and has fine-grained sand in it. Looking for something similar if nothing else.

Cheers for any help!

Brian

RoofPaint.PNG

The sand may well have been added close to the top coat(s) or it may be incorporated into non-slip paint during manufacture or on site. Almost impossible to judge because colours alter as the paint ages, unless you can find any old vans on the boat. I took the plunge and bought a set of colour chip cards (RAL & the two common BS schemes) so I could get the closet match to faded paint.

You are not likely to find an exact off the shelf match anyway due to it fading. 

Eta. I am currently painting our roof, and was lucky enough to find a small pot of craft master paint from over 20 years ago in perfect condition. 

I did wonder though whether the 'cream' of 20 years ago is the same as today's 'cream'. I went for a close alternative instead. 

Edited by rusty69

Will chip a bit off and give it a go! Tony, think you mentioned Johnstones oil-based paints in a post from a few years ago so will have a look at theirs. Using some Craftmaster for other parts, they've got a blue that's a good match. Given up with the red (for the reasons mentioned) just doing my best to keep that in best condition possible!

Cheers all!

Brian

1 minute ago, DavidPeckham said:

Will chip a bit off and give it a go! Tony, think you mentioned Johnstones oil-based paints in a post from a few years ago so will have a look at theirs. Using some Craftmaster for other parts, they've got a blue that's a good match. Given up with the red (for the reasons mentioned) just doing my best to keep that in best condition possible!

Cheers all!

Brian

I always recommend SML Paints technical for their advice. Since using their advice and paints I have been very pleased. My roof is grey white, no sign of deteriorating.

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I always recommend SML Paints technical for their advice. Since using their advice and paints I have been very pleased. My roof is grey white, no sign of deteriorating.

How does that help with matching the colour though? 

I recommend Paintmaster. Ask for their boat and barge paint. If you are in Derbyshire you can collect direct from the factory, if not they offer free delivery. They will mix from a RAL number if you give them one.

If you have a smartphone, try the Colour Harmony app. Apple or Android. I used it to analyse a photo I took of my roof paint , and it gave a very accurate RAL result. The basic version is free. Here's a walkthrough on using it.

Edited by Puffling

I have successfully used Flag brand Elastomeric Floor paint. It is made  by Wastnages in in Burnham on Crouch, Essex. They are a very longstanding paint manufacturer and I consulted their technical department for advise and they said it was definitely suitable. You will find them on the internet.

They sell it directly and its very reasonably priced,

The light grey colour is a nice shade and it is a matt finish so not slippery.

They also do a darker shade of grey.

Certainly seems to be wearing well after 4 years and an easy product to use as it goes on quite thick with a roller and gives a nice finish.

6 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

What is the ideal roof colour? 

Something light to reflect heat in high summer, but a mat or silk finish to minimise low sun in winter and at the ends of the day reflecting into the steerer's eyes. I used a lightish grey or creamy light grey.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Something light to reflect heat in high summer, but a mat or silk finish to minimise low sun in winter and at the ends of the day reflecting into the steerer's eyes. I used a lightish grey or creamy light grey.

Mine's silver grey (RAL 7001) in front of the steerer, but night blue (RAL 5026) further forward where the roof is mainly covered in (dark blue) solar panels -- see photo (but ignore the dust everywhere). Walkable sections (down the sides of the slide, crosswalks) are non-slip, otherwise they're too slippery if you have to walk on them when it's wet...

20230306_123717(1).jpg

• Greenie 1

I did once buy a used topcoat cheap off someone who had spent the best part of a week sanding it off the top of their boat, but had great trouble getting it to stick to my own. In the end, I had to mix it in with some new paint. Far from ideal.

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently there are 50 shades of grey.

But looking at the booklet it wasn't very descriptive about the differences between each one.

How do you make a 'major movie' about a can of paint ?

9780099579939-uk.jpg

I think the book might be more your thing, Alan.

content?id=BiS2KwNr9loC&pg=PP1&img=1&zoo

• Love 1
  • Haha 1