Canal badges

jacko264

Featured Posts

• 2 months later...

The back of the brass thing. 

We were taught yars ago as little infants learning to ride that it is important never to go around the back of a horse or pony you don't know as they may kick you. 

Being kicked even by a little Dartmoor pony is even worse than peeing on an electric fence or being thrown orf. I experienced all three before the age of ten !

Never again!

Hahha a hat-trick of calamity’s!

Ive tried couple times to go on a horse trekking days on holiday. But the beasts scare me tbh and it’s never gone well!

Meanwhile my ex wife is riding one handed into the sunset as I find the nearest bar..

Probably need a good instructor instead of someone just leading a group of tourists.

I rode a horse 110 miles whilst we were on a horse drawn caravan holiday around the south of Ireland. I rode the horse behind the caravan and made a big mistake once. I got in front of the caravan. Horse looked up and there was no food box which was on the back of the caravan, so the horse started to gallop to find the next caravan.

• Haha 1

I don't mind seeing horse brasses on other people's boats. They remind me of when I was travelling in India in the early 80s and I met a Germany guy who had drawn a line on his map showing the route he'd taken across the country with all his overnight stops marked. It all seemed a bit obsessive to me but each to their own. Whatever people enjoy doing.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

I rode a horse 110 miles whilst we were on a horse drawn caravan holiday around the south of Ireland. I rode the horse behind the caravan and made a big mistake once. I got in front of the caravan. Horse looked up and there was no food box which was on the back of the caravan, so the horse started to gallop to find the next caravan.

Well you’ve galloped around some of the emerald isles then! Sounds like a epic trip tho 

51 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I think I like that. 
Not the border pattern so much. 
But I like the black and the red. 

It’s not enamelled is it?

Border is a bit busy. But not seen anything like it so!

I’m afraid I’m not sure, I know it’s been hand painted!?

I could give you the ladies details but she did say they were a limited run.

Waited a few weeks for it. But welcome to try PM me if you’re interested!

12 minutes ago, Silent Flight said:

Well you’ve galloped around some of the emerald isles then! Sounds like a epic trip tho 

Border is a bit busy. But not seen anything like it so!

I’m afraid I’m not sure, I know it’s been hand painted!?

I could give you the ladies details but she did say they were a limited run.

Waited a few weeks for it. But welcome to try PM me if you’re interested!

If it’s hand painted it’s not enamelled. 

No I won’t go after one. 
But it is nice all the same. 👍

It’d be interesting to know if there were any produced for any other dead monarchs. 

• Greenie 1

We've got ourselves a few plaques as we go along, generally just for each canal though as it feels like getting all of the lock/ring/tunnel plaques is going a bit overboard - especially considering that they're not cheap when you add them all up! We're also not strict about 'completing' a canal - so long as we've been along a good chunk of it, that's enough to add the plaque for us, unless it's something like the Asbhy plaque that's apparently only available from the charity's shop at Snarestone Wharf. It's more about the memories than anything else.

Edited by Ewan123

2 hours ago, Ray T said:

The National Horse Brass Society - Home

Occasionally boaters would parade their horses, complete with brasses, at horse fairs.

156692570_10157817666576847_5800689410822509958_o.jpg

That’s a great link. Thanks 👍
A lot of history, and interesting to read the different ways horse brasses were/are made. 

Id been reading somewhere else about Walsall being the place for harnesses, seems Walsall was the place for brasses too. 

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Goliath said:

That’s a great link. Thanks 👍
A lot of history, and interesting to read the different ways horse brasses were/are made. 

Id been reading somewhere else about Walsall being the place for harnesses, seems Walsall was the place for brasses too. 

In the Pearson Canal guide it mentions that Walsall is the place to buy a saddle and no self respecting cowboy would be seen without a saddle made in Walsall