Towpath works Staffs and Worc.

PaulD

Featured Posts

Visitor moorings closed Great Haywood and Tixal Wide from 8 May until September after several delays starting the works. Very disappointing.

Edited by PaulD
Added start date

I see it’s for Towpath repairs/improvements.

I quite like Tixall Wide for being a tad wild/rough and very quiet/peaceful/unspoiled and of course there’re no Blue Signs or  information boards. I spend a night or two there when passing through. 

So I guess it depends how far CRT go with the ‘improvements’ and whether the introduction of more walkers and cyclists spoils the tranquility.

and of course it may mean a restful 14day mooring becomes 48hr  mooring. 

13 minutes ago, Goliath said:

They’ve been doing the bank and towpath at Rugeley which is great, assuming we’ll have extra mooring. 

As long as they haven't made it any narrower for boats! 

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I think you'll find the work above Fradley is HS2 and the work at Great Haywood is the local council so neither are CRT.

I thought both were being funded by HS2 as part of their environmental compensation (or whatever it's called). The Fradley to Handsacre part was due to begin on October 16th last year, and last for 6 months. HS2 hired a motor and butty from that hire company in Weston on Trent, and both boats have sat idle opposite Kings Bromley Wharf ever since then. So that's another £5k+ of our money that HS2 have squandered!

49 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I thought both were being funded by HS2 as part of their environmental compensation (or whatever it's called). The Fradley to Handsacre part was due to begin on October 16th last year, and last for 6 months. HS2 hired a motor and butty from that hire company in Weston on Trent, and both boats have sat idle opposite Kings Bromley Wharf ever since then. So that's another £5k+ of our money that HS2 have squandered!

That would be a great business to run wouldn't it?  Leave a pair of boats on the towpath for months and get paid for it.

Or alternatively,  they could have been hired for a day to carry out survey work and left there pending the job starting.

Isn’t this section of HS2 being deferred for 2 years ?  Could that be the reason for the delay to the towpath works ?

It would be nice if they did the works in winter instead of removing very popular and busy moorings during the summer boating season.

1 minute ago, PaulD said:

Isn’t this section of HS2 being deferred for 2 years ?  Could that be the reason for the delay to the towpath works ?

It would be nice if they did the works in winter instead of removing very popular and busy moorings during the summer boating season.

I don't know about the Great Haywood area, but the Fradley to Handsacre section is currently very active, and has been for the last couple of years. I use the term 'active' loosely because much of the time when I've passed by in the boat most of the workforce is standing around doing beggar all.

14 minutes ago, PaulD said:

I don't think the Great Haywood works are linked to HS2 as the crossing for HS2 is further up the T&M.  My understanding, based on the local council notice, is the works are to improve the popular walking route around the area following on from the section done last year from the junction to Haywood lock.

Woodend lock near Fradley is no longer the end of the wood. There are now miles of nothing and the south westerly can be a surprise as you leave the lock!  Hopefully the trees will be replanted when HS2 is cancelled.

20 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I think you'll find the work above Fradley is HS2 and the work at Great Haywood is the local council so neither are CRT.

It might not be CRT doing the work, but they have to give permission, and closing one of the most popular stretches of moorings on that ring during Summer is ludicrous. 

What about Wellbeing , life is better by water, what about all the hire boats that have already planned this into their itinerary....its not a short stretch.

Muppets

Posted again as de Mod doesnt know how to merge threads and he has locked the other one.