These new log burner rules.......

nairb123

Featured Posts

On 15/02/2023 at 23:58, Alan de Enfield said:

There was a programme about Drax on TV a few nights ago - they are 'clean'because they have an enormous (costing £ bilions) carbon recovery plant on site.

They don't have it yet, maybe 2024 Drax submits plans to build world's largest carbon capture and storage project - Drax Global

image.png.d289f9a857b8114f99c21de9d4edbd43.png

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Can you not fit filters to woodburners then

I think it was a Joke.

These PM2.5 particles are microscopic and are able to pass thru skin into your body. If you made a filter for PM2.5 then it would probably not allow anytrhing to pass thru'.

PM2.5 may be too small to see, being roughly 30 times smaller than the width of a human hair. But it’s a relative heavyweight. PM2.5 stomps in at 2,500 nanometres (nm), while nanoparticles are 100nm or below. PM2.5 and PM10 (10,000nm) are killers in their own right, typically causing lung and respiratory conditions. Yet nanoparticles can reach, and wreak havoc in, any organ in the body. And because government authorities monitor PM2.5 by mass (million of nanoparticles may not even register a measurement by microgram) – their reports underrepresent the true risks.

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it was a Joke.

These PM2.5 particles are microscopic and are able to pass thru skin into your body. If you made a filter for PM2.5 then it would probably not allow anytrhing to pass thru'.

PM2.5 may be too small to see, being roughly 30 times smaller than the width of a human hair. But it’s a relative heavyweight. PM2.5 stomps in at 2,500 nanometres (nm), while nanoparticles are 100nm or below. PM2.5 and PM10 (10,000nm) are killers in their own right, typically causing lung and respiratory conditions. Yet nanoparticles can reach, and wreak havoc in, any organ in the body. And because government authorities monitor PM2.5 by mass (million of nanoparticles may not even register a measurement by microgram) – their reports underrepresent the true risks.

No serious question because @peterboat said that crematoriums have filters fitted.  Which would appear to be not true if your above answer is true. 

18 minutes ago, Tonka said:

No serious question because @peterboat said that crematoriums have filters fitted.  Which would appear to be not true if your above answer is true. 

Filters come in various 'grades' I wonder what grade the 'Crems' use ?
For a quick look it appears that 'Crem' filters are designed to catch mercury from tooth fillings.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

I imagine any filter that traps PM2.5 would require some kind of fan assisted flue setup, so while not technically impossible, probably a bit of a faff. 

if your flue is too short in some cases they fit fans.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Filters come in various 'grades' I wonder what grade the 'Crems' use ?
For a quick look it appears that 'Crem' filters are designed to catch mercury from tooth fillings.

They are Alan also particulate matter as well  I ess just chatting to Roger who repairs and services them. Some old Crems had an exemption but latterly he hasn't seen one without the filters.

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

They are Alan also particulate matter as well  I ess just chatting to Roger who repairs and services them. Some old Crems had an exemption but latterly he hasn't seen one without the filters.

But have the regs for crems caught up with recent findings about how nasty PM2.5 particulates are? They're *much* harder to filter out than visible smoke...

1 hour ago, IanD said:

But have the regs for crems caught up with recent findings about how nasty PM2.5 particulates are? They're *much* harder to filter out than visible smoke...

but it keeps them in business not to be compliant

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, IanD said:

He says they are big filter systems, 15 foot square box size percent unit, it's a messy job replacing the filters

48 minutes ago, peterboat said:

He says they are big filter systems, 15 foot square box size percent unit, it's a messy job replacing the filters

As we all know, size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it... 😉

So do these enormous boxes filter out PM2.5 or not? 🙂

(not that it's likely to matter really, far fewer urban cremations than urban woodburners...)

51 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Less than one per person on average I would have thought ...

Ah yes, reminds me of Peter Cook (or was it Dudley Moore?) who pointed out that the average person has approximately 1.98 legs....

Or something along those lines. 

On 09/02/2023 at 22:11, Cheshire cat said:

I'd just like to point out the pellets for Drax are hauled past my house by diesel locomotives after they ave been unloaded from heavy oil powered boats that have travelled across the atlantic.

And to add insult to injury go past the site of Kellingley Colliery (RIP)

17 hours ago, IanD said:

As we all know, size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it... 😉

So do these enormous boxes filter out PM2.5 or not? 🙂

(not that it's likely to matter really, far fewer urban cremations than urban woodburners...)

Funny you should say that, last year my sisters father in law was cremated and it's a brand new facility in the middle on nowhere! Done for a reason obviously..

As for the filters Roger has no idea he repairs and services crems not design them

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Funny you should say that, last year my sisters father in law was cremated and it's a brand new facility in the middle on nowhere! Done for a reason obviously..

As for the filters Roger has no idea he repairs and services crems not design them

So why post stuff making it sound like you know what you or your mate are talking about -- which was PM2.5 pollution, remember -- when you don't? 🙂

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

So why post stuff making it sound like you know what you or your mate are talking about -- which was PM2.5 pollution, remember -- when you don't? 🙂

Bit like you talking about boats 

@M_JGtold me to say it

• Haha 3