Food in Ellesmere

haggis

Featured Posts

Edited

Ignore cos thought said ellesmere port not ellesmere!!!

Theres a papa johns pizza up towards the station that was OK as I recall....and quite a few other takeaways....but they are all a bit of hike on foot from either the lower basin or the top moorings.....you might want to find somewhere that delivers if doing the takeaway thing..

Sadly the very reasonably priced wetherspoons....even by Wetherspoons standards.....has closed I believe....

If you fancy a 16min taxi/uber ride then can thoroughly recommend The Red Fox at Thornton Hough...its a brunning and price pub...been great when we have been there.

Edited by frangar

Just now, Goliath said:

was that the William Jessop?

Big pub with lots of professional looking dart boards. 

Thats the one.....had a lovely mild on when I was last there that was less than £2/pint..think actually about £1.50.....cash only that went into a pot behind the bar.....didnt ask why!...jut drank a few pints!....possibly why it closed!

Just now, Arthur Marshall said:

Ellesmere or Ellesmere Port? Most of the above relate to the Port, I think.

Bugger...you are right....must read the posts better!!!....

In which case can recommend the chip shop out on the main road near the laundrette!!!

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Ellesmere or Ellesmere Port? Most of the above relate to the Port, I think.

Ha yes, my fault, my deliberate mistake, well spotted 😃

it was the mention of basin I automatically thought Ellesmere Port,

but of course .. Ellesmere has a basin.

6 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thats the one.....had a lovely mild on when I was last there that was less than £2/pint..think actually about £1.50

That’s my memory too

Id have a few cheap beers there and then walk back to the Horse and Jockey

There used to be a Thai in Ellesmere, I think opposite the white lion which was decent.

The port is, unless your after a dirty kebab or similar fast food, a bit of a desert and as the boat museum is very definitely on the wrong side of the tracks it's a fair hike to even those

Thanks for your suggestions folks . We are in Ellesmere on the Llangollen not the one on the shroppie. On wandering around ( looking for a butcher but he is only open two days a week and not today or tomorrow 😊) I saw several take aways but I feel like a " proper meal " tonight and  the nearest hotel fits the bill if their outside menu can be believed. 

We were lucky to moor almost in the basin. Can we be lucky twice in one day ?

10 minutes ago, haggis said:

Thanks for your suggestions folks . We are in Ellesmere on the Llangollen not the one on the shroppie. On wandering around ( looking for a butcher but he is only open two days a week and not today or tomorrow 😊) I saw several take aways but I feel like a " proper meal " tonight and  the nearest hotel fits the bill if their outside menu can be believed. 

We were lucky to moor almost in the basin. Can we be lucky twice in one day ?

The Moolah cafe does ok food, but it is a bit "contemporary" - ok if you like vegan stuff too. The Black Lion pub was ok too, dined in there earlier this month, decent value, decent ale.

• Greenie 1

I wanted to try the Greek place last time I was there because it does have pretty good reviews, but they were too busy on the day I rocked up. 

The bakery/deli called Vermeulens is reckoned to be excellent- I thought it was above average, and worth a try, but not outstanding as such.

I did try the Chinese takeaway, that was reasonable, and the chip shop was ok, but obviously not if you want a comfortable sit in meal. 

How far will you get on this trip? I'm still on the Llan myself at the moment, but near to Trevor.

37 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

I wanted to try the Greek place last time I was there because it does have pretty good reviews, but they were too busy on the day I rocked up. 

The bakery/deli called Vermeulens is reckoned to be excellent- I thought it was above average, and worth a try, but not outstanding as such.

I did try the Chinese takeaway, that was reasonable, and the chip shop was ok, but obviously not if you want a comfortable sit in meal. 

How far will you get on this trip? I'm still on the Llan myself at the moment, but near to Trevor.

I have been to Vermuelens and spent some pennies and I agree that the stuff looked excellent. 

We are starting our return journey tomorrow to get through Hurleston before it shuts. Our progress is a lot slower than usual but hopefully we will manage to stop at eateries on the way back.😀

Apparently the Greek  restaurant has been nominated for an award according to the magnet fishers in the basin but I don't feel like Greek food tonight. Phoned the red lion and they managed to fit us in.  😁

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I have been to Vermuelens and spent some pennies and I agree that the stuff looked excellent. 

We are starting our return journey tomorrow to get through Hurleston before it shuts. Our progress is a lot slower than usual but hopefully we will manage to stop at eateries on the way back.😀

theres is/was a lovely pub by a lock,

and I never remember the name. 

Kept the old hours, shut in afternoon. 
Decorated with teapots I think,

I remember it looked good for food,

unpretentious and proper.  
Maybe you know it?

Vermuelens deli is exceptional. They have one of the best pork pies on the system in our eyes only bettered by the butcher in Nantwich!! They also have good bread which I think may be supplied by Chatwins of nantwich. Just go and spend some money on nice things there and eat in. Although we didn't try it we were reccomended to buy waffles from the shop across the road from Vermuelens.