Power saving - Fridge

badgerbag

Featured Posts

The handbook for our Shoreline fridge suggests installing a small 12v fan (ex-computer) over a hole cut in the floor  behind the fridge. Connected to run with the fridge motor this will, it claims, save more power than it draws by dispersing the hot air trapped behind the fridge with cool air drawn from the bilges. I’ve got as far as cutting the hole in the floor, but I imagine to work efficiently one should also cut a hole in the worktop above the fridge as well. 

Has anyone else has tried it, and if so does it make much difference?

Tim

10 minutes ago, badgerbag said:

The handbook for our Shoreline fridge suggests installing a small 12v fan (ex-computer) over a hole cut in the floor  behind the fridge. Connected to run with the fridge motor this will, it claims, save more power than it draws by dispersing the hot air trapped behind the fridge with cool air drawn from the bilges. I’ve got as far as cutting the hole in the floor, but I imagine to work efficiently one should also cut a hole in the worktop above the fridge as well. 

Has anyone else has tried it, and if so does it make much difference?

Tim

The air needs to go somewhere, so yes, providing a through flow from the bilge to above the worktop is a good idea. I have this on my boat. Vents under the rear of the fridge and a slot in the work top at the back, above the evaporation coils. No fans though, just relying on convection. No idea how much power I might save as I don't have a before to compare it to.

Amazing how many fridges are entirely boxed in, leaving the heat no where to go.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The air needs to go somewhere, so yes, providing a through flow from the bilge to above the worktop is a good idea. I have this on my boat. Vents under the rear of the fridge and a slot in the work top at the back, above the evaporation coils. No fans though, just relying on convection. No idea how much power I might save as I don't have a before to compare it to.

Amazing how many fridges are entirely boxed in, leaving the heat no where to go.

As Jen but a good gap above the fridge and a large louver vent in the side of the unit that contains the fridge.

The fan needs to be sited to blow the air over the condenser.  This was always the grille like thing on the back.  No longer.  The modern fridge has the condenser inside the casing, on one of the sides.  Our Shoreline has it on the left side looking at the door.

The common  Danfoss BD35 electronic unit has a built  terminal for a fan.  Terminal 'F' , surprise, surprise.  This is a switched negative.  So you need  a 12 V fused supply to the fan positive and a negative wire from fan to 

terminal F.

There is a built in delay between the motor starting and the fan being switched on- about 4 seconds.

N

Edited by BEngo
Speroinge

9 hours ago, badgerbag said:

Great! Thanks very much everyone. The fridge is between 2 cupboards, with about 2” gap all round, so I’ll start with a grill in the worktop and then maybe add the fan to get the air moving.

The manufacturers seem to usually rec0omment at least a 1" gap so I doubt that you will need to cut the worktop, just put the holes in the floor.

We have drill holes under the fridge through to the bilge, and each side on the boat.

in our camper ( in australia) we have air gap above fridge 12 v computer fan and void space between van and fridge .

Fridge in van is 17 years old and not coping too well any more but the computer fan makes a huge difference.

i know this because the first failed putting the fridge on constantly. Replacing it reduced run time, depending on ambient of course.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Shut that door few gawd's sake! It bloomin' freezing out there...

That’s why I’m inside taking the picture. Beer is nice and cold outside, will have to drink it be for Monday’s thaw. Well there’s worst things in life like batteries and toilets.🤣🤣

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Shut that door few gawd's sake! It bloomin' freezing out there...

This morning I took exception to a woman who was chatting away on her idiot phone while standing in the open doorway of the supermarket, thus preventing the doors from closing.  My car said the outside temperature was minus 8C.  God knows how many kWH were consumed just to accommodate her selfishness.

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

This morning I took exception to a woman who was chatting away on her idiot phone while standing in the open doorway of the supermarket, thus preventing the doors from closing.  My car said the outside temperature was minus 8C.  God knows how many kWH were consumed just to accommodate her selfishness.

Probably the same amount of all the hot air from mouth 🤪 Tin hat ready 

3 hours ago, Murflynn said:

Must have been a hardy sole, all the big stores and supermarkets around here see to have set their air curtains to blow cold air.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Mine has more sense than to try to engage me in conversation whilst I is driving....

I would say that is your car not wishing to cause you embarrassment..

10 hours ago, MtB said:

F*ck me, you have a talking car?!

I often have private conversations with my car.  It never answers back and is always ready to absorb my explosive expressions of anger when other drivers act like frigging eejits.  Best car I've ever had (Yeti 1.2 turbo petrol).

14 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Must have been a hardy sole, all the big stores and supermarkets around here see to have set their air curtains to blow cold air.

I never said it was a big supermarket.  It was a small supermarket.  I don't like big supermarkets.

I have no idea if the base of her shoes was soft or hard, although I suspect the former - soft soled sheepskin booties more than likely.

Edited by Murflynn