Dog Sh@t

Ernie

Featured Posts

I reckon living on a boat, on a footpath is a choice and the reality is that people walk their dogs on footpaths and they will shit and piss. This to me is a fact. If I lived in a house I would have a go at the owner if a dog shat by my door but when you don't own the land by your own doorstep I don't think you have that right. By all means complain to the land owner.

I reckon living on a boat, on a footpath is a choice and the reality is that people walk their dogs on footpaths and they will shit and piss. This to me is a fact. If I lived in a house I would have a go at the owner if a dog shat by my door but when you don't own the land by your own doorstep I don't think you have that right. By all means complain to the land owner.

As dog mess can carry toxicariasis, which can be passed on to kids, potentially blinding them, this is a ridiculous attitude.

We all have a right to be safe, in a public place and if that means carrying plastic bags and picking up after our dogs then I don't see it as an inconvenience.

Would it be okay to drop a glass bottle, allowing it to smash, in a public place?

Edited by carlt

The oft repeated scene that always tickles me is when you get two dog owners letting their dogs run off the lead on the towpath; dogs meet, potential aggro between them and then the owners look askance at each other. Surely the other person must know it's only my dog that can be off the lead ?? Whilst on the rant, why do dog owners nearly all seem to think we'll be amused by their dribbling creatures mooching round the boat or lunging up at us, accompanied by the refrain 'don't worry, it's friendly'. Finally, I think they would be far better training them to c**p in the bottom of the hedgerow, rather than gathering the faeces up into a bag and slinging that into the hedge or cut. At least natural decomposition can take place then.

Mike.

The oft repeated scene that always tickles me is when you get two dog owners letting their dogs run off the lead on the towpath; dogs meet, potential aggro between them and then the owners look askance at each other. Surely the other person must know it's only my dog that can be off the lead ?? Whilst on the rant, why do dog owners nearly all seem to think we'll be amused by their dribbling creatures mooching round the boat or lunging up at us, accompanied by the refrain 'don't worry, it's friendly'. Finally, I think they would be far better training them to c**p in the bottom of the hedgerow, rather than gathering the faeces up into a bag and slinging that into the hedge or cut. At least natural decomposition can take place then.

Mike.

My dog is always on the lead, except for the few places I take him for proper exercise.

If another dog approaches, off the lead, I will warn the owners that if it approaches mine I will kick it in the cut, the safest place for it.

Since having a leg bitten off by a dog, off the lead, on the towpath, Tommy, understandably, bites first, asks questions later.

Would it be okay to drop a glass bottle, allowing it to smash, in a public place?

Unfortunately, society has allowed a generation of youf to see nothing wrong with the above, randomly dropping litter - even right infront of a bin, etc. etc. etc.

Bring in big brother, and enforce the law in Towns and cities. In the Villages bring back the bobby and let him cuff the buggers.

Simon.

welcome to the peoples republic of Simon. :D

I reckon I should be offended by Gary's remark about most dog owners not having manu brains :D but I;ll pass on that one for now. I ALWAYS clean up after ours whether it be in the park on the towpath in our back yard............and I think the majority of people probably do its again a minority thats giving the rest of us a bad name - and BTW I;m the lady in the park who goes to the owner of an offending dog and gives them a nappy bag to out the crap in and if they don't I have been known to pick it up and put the bag in their pocket. Nasty but all our parks and highways have dog poo bins and a £1000 fine if you are caught not picking up after your pooch. Should be enforced nationally if you ask me :wub:

I reckon I should be offended by Gary's remark about most dog owners not having manu brains :D but I;ll pass on that one for now. I ALWAYS clean up after ours whether it be in the park on the towpath in our back yard............and I think the majority of people probably do its again a minority thats giving the rest of us a bad name - and BTW I;m the lady in the park who goes to the owner of an offending dog and gives them a nappy bag to out the crap in and if they don't I have been known to pick it up and put the bag in their pocket. Nasty but all our parks and highways have dog poo bins and a £1000 fine if you are caught not picking up after your pooch. Should be enforced nationally if you ask me :wub:

Yeah great idea! I'm gonna start putting dogpoo in peoples pockets too now, I don't really know why, its doesn't even bother me when I see dogmuck, I just think it would be amusing to put it in peoples pockets - 'ere are, have some poo to take home!'

Hi all

We live within a ship yard where there are a few dogs ! the dog poo is getting beyond a joke !

We alway pick our dog poo up as we buy small bags for the very purpose !!

we have all had letter from the ship yard owner about the problem but it still doesnt seem to be picked up !

A few weeks ago 430 in the morning stepped out of the boat off to work and stood in a huge load right at the side of my car door ! not to happy !!

Thinking a knew the culprit i went banged on his door , no answer :cheers: why would there be its the middle of the night ! i was just livid as its was all over my slippers !

By the time i got home i was a little more calm and had a chat with the guy who quite rightly pointed out there are a few other dogs the he himself has seen doing there thing with no one to pick it up !

I was glad he never answered the door !!

It is still a problem but what can you do ! Seems not a lot .

Greg Jax.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have to use the S word for describing dogmuck? can't you use smelly mud or something as 'BoatsAndThat' calls it, its much less offencive, and I think its a good desciptive way of saying it too.

OFFENCIVE is treading in a pile left close to your exit off the boat. Shit is in the dictionary good enough for me

I have no idea who first invented the word shit but its a great word and sums it up perfectly.

Shakespeare probably.

OFFENCIVE is treading in a pile left close to your exit off the boat. Shit is in the dictionary good enough for me

Shakespeare probably.

I concur... 'Shit' is the correct terminology.

Edited by tomsk

Shakespeare probably.

It dates from much earlier than Shakespeare. The origin is the Old English word scitte, which means diarrhoea.

Chaucer described a corrupt priest as a "shitten shepherd" in the prologue to the Canterbury Tales. When the Victorians did a translation into more modern English they found the phrase so offensive they changed it to "dirty shepherd", which doens't have anything like the same impact.

Damn it there are 6 doggie doos around my boat and this morning whilst breasted up to get water I managed to traipse yet another dog shit across someone elses boat and on to mine.

About time they were banned from the towpath completely.

Letter to BW me thinks.

Damn it there are 6 doggie doos around my boat and this morning whilst breasted up to get water I managed to traipse yet another dog shit across someone elses boat and on to mine.

Letter to BW me thinks.

I think you'll probably find there's more chance of boats being banned from the cut.

Letter to BW me thinks.

Irresponsible dog owners who do not clean up yes

but please dont classify us all with the same brush Maffi, a lot of boaters do clean up after ther dogs and get rid of other peoples as well.

We regulary have to remove piles of crap from our moorings and we know its not our or our next door neighbours dog..bloody townies taking fifi for a walk is the biggest problem on our moorings

Yes it does pi** me off as I am the one who will always tread in it

Edited by Baldock

What I can't understand is the misguided owner who duly places dog mess into the bag they have so thoughtfully brought along with them, then leaves it in the bushes or on the path or half way up a tree, why?

Likewise. Why don't they just leave it on the ground if they have no intention of binning it? Weird.

Up until a couple of days ago there were three boats, all having a dog near us. One let their two dogs do the business about everywhere, one who still does as they are still there. I have to walk back in the dark with the risk of treading in someone else's dog crap.It wasn't until hubby shouted to me down the towpath coming back one night (near their boat) 'babe stick to the path there is shit all over the place again', that we saw one boat start picking it up. Not difficult, and the excuse of, we let them out late, we can't see to pick it up is pathetic. So get up in the morning and sort it. chuck it in the bushes, at least out of the way if nothing else.Pathetic, lazy and downright disgusting. Sure they would be riled if you did a dump on their stern eh?

Edited by StoneHenge

Up until a couple of days ago there were three boats, all having a dog near us. One let their two dogs do the business about everywhere, one who still does as they are still there. I have to walk back in the dark with the risk of treading in someone else's dog crap.

It wasn't until hubby shouted to me down the towpath coming back one night (near their boat) 'babe stick to the path there is shit all over the place again', that we saw one boat start picking it up.

Not difficult, and the excuse of, we let them out late, we can't see to pick it up is pathetic. So get up in the morning and sort it. chuck it in the bushes, at least out of the way if nothing else.

Pathetic, lazy and downright disgusting. Sure they would be riled if you did a dump on their stern eh?

Err we take Cara out late every evening and we take a small torch and poo bag or shovel. not hard , not rocket science

we did have one boat moored around the corner from us a while back whose dog was just let out to crap wherever it liked, after a couple of days of this I collected all I could find and strategically placed it on the tow path in their enter/exit zone with a note on the boat saying we have returned this ! not surprising but they moved off next day and not been seen again in our neck of the woods

Ref Dyad's post above re bags of poo on fences and trees.:

I reckon that they are doing it as a protest.

I've got a dog (well a half share in one) and I always have him on a lead or tied up and pick up after him using a bag which I seal and dispose of with my other houshold rubbish. It's only fair.

Leaving dog shit for others to walk in, either knowingly or through negligence (ie going for a walk with the dog 50 yards behind) should be punishable by having a skipload of it tipped into their house or boat.

Coincidentally I've just run back from Derby along the riverside path. A cyclist who had just passed me had to get off sharpish due to a large uncontrolled dog having a go at him. The owners said it was just playing. As I ran past it came to "play" with me and got a kick in the gob.

Edited by andywatson