Dog Sh@t

Ernie

Featured Posts

BEGIN RANT……

I know this topic has come up before but………I have just got back to the boat and had to clean my boots – again!!!

It appears that it is almost impossible to go for a walk along the tow path these days and not get back to the boat and have to spend 5 minutes washing the dog sh@t off my boots!!! It’s even more of a pain now that the mornings and evenings are dark and even with a torch, it is difficult to see what you are walking in.

We have two dogs and religiously clean up after them. If just out for a walk around the fields and tow paths, we carry a small plastic trowel and move the deposits deep into a nearby hedge. If out on the roads or in towns, we use the green plastic bags provided free by BW then bin the bags. None of this is difficult or much trouble.

It really pees me off when I see plastic bags of dog’s sh@t in the hedgerows, it would be better if the owners just left the sh@t on the ground, at least that way it will eventually degrade. Bagging it and slinging it in the hedge is just going to preserve it for longer and make the place look a mess.

End rant……..

Looks like it is going to be a lovelly day here in Rugby :cheers:

My local borough fined a woman £200 recently for not cleaning up after her dog. About time the law was enforced. A few well-publicised fines of £1000 might just concentrate people's minds.

The ones that get me on the towpath are the people who have their dogs running loose and "didn't see" their dogs crapping.

I like dogs, I even like some dog owners, but dog sh*t is a filthy antisocial menace.

Agree with all of the above.

As I've said before, my dog does it on the edge, the bit you don't walk in. And if there is any that needs removing, I do.

Yes, there may be the odd occasion you miss something, but again if it is where you/people walk you will see it, and can remove it.

I know when it's dark it'd difficult, but still the best advice is 'watch your step'.

May I add a rant about cats dumping wherever they like - especially my front and rear garden.... and at the side of my car on the drive.

Also, what the hell do you cat owners actually feed your animals - the smell of cat poo is truly sickening, especially when you climb into your car with the crap coming off onto and into the carpet!

I'm an animal lover - but a few buckets of ice cold water have been thrown onto many a moggie.

There is an old disused railway in my home town, now converted into a nice wooded cycleway/ footpath. If you go along it after dark (any time of year) you will see people who have waited 'till nightfall to go out with the express intention of emptying the dog.

The regularity with which this subject arises, together with the apparent frequency of dog attacks and the problem of innapropriate barking cries out for SOMETHING to be done to limit dog ownership to those who have a proper regard for the needs of the animal and their responsibility to the wider community. What a pity all dog owners aren't like Malc!

What a pity all dog owners aren't like Malc!

What a fantastic compliment :cheers: But Barney must take some of the credit.

Btw. Dog's poo on or near other poo for marking. And just as I don't agree with picking it up amongst the horse poo on the common, I also don't see the point in picking it up if it's on a path full of piles of other dogs. That's not to say I always leave it, because I usually do pick it up, even though it's pointless. But that's more because it makes me as bad as everyone else.

There is an old disused railway in my home town, now converted into a nice wooded cycleway/ footpath. If you go along it after dark (any time of year) you will see people who have waited 'till nightfall to go out with the express intention of emptying the dog.The regularity with which this subject arises, together with the apparent frequency of dog attacks and the problem of innapropriate barking cries out for SOMETHING to be done to limit dog ownership to those who have a proper regard for the needs of the animal and their responsibility to the wider community. What a pity all dog owners aren't like Malc!

Like parents, drivers, fishermen, ccers immigrants etc etc etc...., the majority of dog owners are responsible, law-abiding people who pick up their mess (if you choose to own a dog it's your shit you're leaving behind, not the dog's) and keep their dogs under control.

A dog on a tow path should be on a lead. If your dog approaches mine then it will feel my boot, rather than tommy's jaws round it's neck (having lost a leg to a dog loose on the towpath he is, understandably, a bit sensitive).

One thing though. My dog barks to let it be known he is around. This is never inappropriate (though he doesn't join in with the neighbourhood chorus, which would be).

WARNING This thread will be hijacked when the children wake up (not mine) . They will be fishing dont take the bait.

Any new members who are as instantly contentious and obnoxious as those two are obviously trolls and should be dealt with by the mods.

Edited by carlt

WARNING

This thread will be hijacked when the children wake up (not mine) . They will be fishing dont take the bait.

I'm one of them. I would sooner see dog ownership banned altogether than the status quo (tho' I'd like to see them banned too). I'm a Liberal, and Liberals don't ban things without good reason. Bad dog owners give reason upon reason and then more! We really do need to get a grip of this situation it is far more of a problem to non dog owners than even good owners realise. It would be a real crying shame to legislate to seperate blokes like Malc from their companions and I would suggest that it is in the best interest of caring responsible dog owners to get a grip and join forces against the common enemy, ie, those who own dogs they have no intention of taking responsibility for.

Jeb, please don't mistake someone expressing an anti dog view as a troll or wind up merchant simply because they may not articulate their objections very well.

I'm one of them. I would sooner see dog ownership banned altogether than the status quo (tho' I'd like to see them banned too). I'm a Liberal, and Liberals don't ban things without good reason. Bad dog owners give reason upon reason and then more! We really do need to get a grip of this situation it is far more of a problem to non dog owners than even good owners realise. It would be a real crying shame to legislate to seperate blokes like Malc from their companions and I would suggest that it is in the best interest of caring responsible dog owners to get a grip and join forces against the common enemy, ie, those who own dogs they have no intention of taking responsibility for.

Jeb, please don't mistake someone expressing an anti dog view as a troll or wind up merchant simply because they may not articulate their objections very well.

No Snibble you are not one of them.

I'm one of them. I would sooner see dog ownership banned altogether than the status quo (tho' I'd like to see them banned too). I'm a Liberal, and Liberals don't ban things without good reason. Bad dog owners give reason upon reason and then more! We really do need to get a grip of this situation it is far more of a problem to non dog owners than even good owners realise. It would be a real crying shame to legislate to seperate blokes like Malc from their companions and I would suggest that it is in the best interest of caring responsible dog owners to get a grip and join forces against the common enemy, ie, those who own dogs they have no intention of taking responsibility for. Jeb, please don't mistake someone expressing an anti dog view as a troll or wind up merchant simply because they may not articulate their objections very well.

Jeb's referring to the two fools who hijacked the other 'dog thread' last night (I think) . I don't think you share their views, Snibs.

Status Quo btw, are a worthy poular music combo (though not to my taste) and should not be banned.

I'm one of them. I would sooner see dog ownership banned altogether than the status quo (tho' I'd like to see them banned too).

By the same token, though, should we ban beer because of the idiot minority who don't clear up their sick after themselves, bark raucously in the High st on a Friday night and attack innocent walkers for no reason?

Edited by carlt

I am not actually advocating a ban Carl, I am trying to underline and emphasise the scale of the problem. On the parralell with alcohol abuse, well, yes, I would sooner see prohibition than the current situation which is why I see the people you describe as very definately the enemy. At least SOME of the guilty however, are brought before the courts to answer for their actions, which is rarely the case with those who abuse their right to keep a dog.

Status Quo btw, are a worthy poular music combo (though not to my taste) and should not be banned.

A bit :cheers: but .........

Probably the music I would take if I were to be marooned on an island, and could only choose one group, or singer.

Although I have very varied taste, usually commercial, and like most inbetween classical and jazz.

But (and this is NOT an age thing) it does have to be 'music' ........ not someone saying swear words in a monotone, somehow one of her favourites.

A bit :cheers: but .........

Probably the music I would take if I were to be marooned on an island, and could only choose one group, or singer.

Although I have very varied taste, usually commercial, and like most inbetween classical and jazz.

But (and this is NOT an age thing) it does have to be 'music' ........ not someone saying swear words in a monotone, somehow one of her favourites.

And the advantage is you only need one record to carry their entire repertoir!

And the advantage is you only need one record to carry their entire repertoir!

Have you tried to play them on guitar????

I fail miserably ......

I think it's because theirs is happy music (for whatever reason)

I only usually listen to radio.......can't be bothered otherwise I suppose. However very occasionally, on one of my darkest days after I was left alone, I would try music. Listened through headphones, and most others I like, Dire Straights, Roxette, Bryan Adams just examples, had me uncontrollably sobbing within minutes, whereas if I put Quo on loud I'd get over the depression a bit.

Edited by Supermalc

Have you tried to play them on guitar????

I fail miserably ......

I think it's because theirs is happy music (for whatever reason)

One day at work, "Classical gas" came on the radio. "I used to play this as a practice piece" says I, my workmates eyebrows went off to visit his hairline and "Really" was his response (impressed).

"Oh yes" says I "I got really good with that gramaphone".

I use biodegradeable poo bags (from pets at home), they rot to nothing if exposed to light and/or moisture in about two weeks. So if there are no poo bins I don't have a problem with tucking it under a bramble bush, coz it'll rot. I do think those who hang the non rotting ones in trees/under hedges are idiots though. It's daft isn't it, putting something tht degrades in days into something that takes over a 100 years to degrade. In a hundred years time are people going to discover bags and bags of mummified dog poo?

BEGIN RANT……

I know this topic has come up before but………I have just got back to the boat and had to clean my boots – again!!!

It appears that it is almost impossible to go for a walk along the tow path these days and not get back to the boat and have to spend 5 minutes washing the dog sh@t off my boots!!! It’s even more of a pain now that the mornings and evenings are dark and even with a torch, it is difficult to see what you are walking in.

We have two dogs and religiously clean up after them. If just out for a walk around the fields and tow paths, we carry a small plastic trowel and move the deposits deep into a nearby hedge. If out on the roads or in towns, we use the green plastic bags provided free by BW then bin the bags. None of this is difficult or much trouble.

It really pees me off when I see plastic bags of dog’s sh@t in the hedgerows, it would be better if the owners just left the sh@t on the ground, at least that way it will eventually degrade. Bagging it and slinging it in the hedge is just going to preserve it for longer and make the place look a mess.

End rant……..

Looks like it is going to be a lovelly day here in Rugby :cheers:

Couldn't agree more! Just spent our first summer cruising the canals, stopping at many visitor moorings along the way and it is a very rare event indeed to find one that is dog sh@t free. We have learned the hard way the golden rule when jumping ashore --- "look out for dog sh@t"

Couldn't agree more! Just spent our first summer cruising the canals, stopping at many visitor moorings along the way and it is a very rare event indeed to find one that is dog sh@t free. We have learned the hard way the golden rule when jumping ashore --- "look out for dog sh@t"

And check your pins before pulling them!

And whilst you're watching for the piles of poo, don't forget dogs have a habit of weeing against most things sticking out of or resting on the ground - trees, bushes, bollards and even the odd human leg as well.

Don't forget to wash your hands after tying or untying your boat.

I use biodegradeable poo bags (from pets at home), they rot to nothing if exposed to light and/or moisture in about two weeks. So if there are no poo bins I don't have a problem with tucking it under a bramble bush, coz it'll rot. I do think those who hang the non rotting ones in trees/under hedges are idiots though. It's daft isn't it, putting something tht degrades in days into something that takes over a 100 years to degrade. In a hundred years time are people going to discover bags and bags of mummified dog poo?

I think biodegradable poo bags are not necessary, its far better to just leave it, even biodegradable bags take a while to degrade. I agree people who leave normal carrier bags of poo are very bad people. Myself I just let my dog go wherever he wants, I tend to ignore all these new rules and fines about cleaning up after your dog, they were never around when I was a lad and I grew up ok, apart from my recent incident.

Jeb's referring to the two fools who hijacked the other 'dog thread' last night (I think) . I don't think you share their views, Snibs.

By the same token, though, should we ban beer because of the idiot minority who don't clear up their sick after themselves, bark raucously in the High st on a Friday night and attack innocent walkers for no reason?

Carl T your music knowledge is just as astounding as your wit please please tell me when you will be appearing on egg heads id hate to miss it

Ps what doe s the T in carlT stand for is it something that ryhms with HAT?

Carlt your music knowledge is just as astounding as your wit. Please, please tell me when you will be appearing on egg heads I'd hate to miss it.

Ps what does the T in carlt stand for? Is it something that rhymes with HAT?

Your uncalled for insults are as tedious as your bigotry and threats of violence. You portray yourself as an aging skinhead who can't quite accept the pointlessness of his existence so just attacks anything he is too thick to understand.

Edited by carlt