Dog Sh@t

Ernie

Featured Posts

A Challange for all dog breeders -- to design and make a dog that only needs emptying once a week and preferably one that eats plastic bags so the sh@t comes out already wrapped !!!! Just a thought.

Brilliant , like a sort of log maker, put straight on the fire. On second thoughts no, don't want to be burning plastic. :)

i just find the whole thing disgusting and am fed up of walking through the stuff on the tow path. Why can't they just start feeding dogs yummy things that makes their sh*t smell of strawberries and cream, or a lovely winters evening or something.

A friend of mine is currently moored behind a dog owner who completely failed to clear up any mess until one lunchtime I was walking past the offending vessle and pointed out to a visitor that it was 'that' boat whose dog shi8t is allover the path and that the owners never clear it up and it is disgusting - their front doors were open. Ever since then they have cleared it up, and now there is more towpath than dogsh*t.

What is sad is that people don't bother clearing up until people notice they don't do it.

It is, however, important to remember that dogs do make excellent company for people, and although it is a shame (I understate) when people don't clear up after their canine companions. Unfortunately, until dog sh*t is linked to some horrible disease that can kill humans, dogs will never have their own lavatories aboard the great ships of the waterways. We have to remember that it wasn't that long ago that us humans were sh*ting in public places, and I doubt we cleared up afterourselves either.

• 3 months later...
As dog mess can carry toxicariasis, which can be passed on to kids, potentially blinding them, this is a ridiculous attitude.

We all have a right to be safe, in a public place and if that means carrying plastic bags and picking up after our dogs then I don't see it as an inconvenience.

Would it be okay to drop a glass bottle, allowing it to smash, in a public place?

What I can't understand is a "consensus" dog owner who uses a bag to clean up after their dog and then throw the bag and contents so it hangs in the hedge.

Putting poison down is not the answer and besides finding yourself in trouble you'll be killing any other form of wildlife too. Cat crap is worse than dog crap for carrying diseases in fact cat crap can cause untold damage to an unborn baby if a mother does'nt take particular care.

And its not just irresponsible boat owners with dogs either. We have two dogs always pick up after them where ever we walk them. Keep Tesco Value Nappy Sacks in the car for that purpose. But I can stand at my front window every day (nappy sack at the ready for the owners) of the week and watch a couple who walk their labrador let it stop and crap on my drive. Somehow "Oh sorry" always seems inadequate to me.

Maybe BW should be lobbied to put more poo bins up on the towpath? Maybe local authorities should send their enforcement officers out to these places to see if they can catch the culprits and give them a few hefty fines for not picking up after their dogs? If you know who the owners are could you not just report them to the local council?

To my mind this problem illustrates one of the basic premises on which this country is governed. Most, if not all, people would regard the idea of dog shit being deposited all over the place, for people to tread in, transfer to their boats or homes, for their children to play with, etc, etc, as unacceptibly disgusting. The penalty of £1000 for causing or permitting this to happen must be rarely enforced because, if I understand it correctly, a successful prosecution would depend on acceptible photographic evidence of the dog and owner causing or permitting it to happen.

No problem, however, because there is no financial cost to the treasury of widespread dog shit and, as a huge number of potential voters own dogs, it would be inadvisable to upset them by instituting effective enforcement. The burgeoning numbers of idle bureaucrats would soon come up with something effective if these constraints did not apply.

So the only safe time to walk along the towpath, or get off your boat, is during a sustained and hard frost, when the aforementioned D/S behaves like frozen sausages!

SteveE

Maybe local authorities should send their enforcement officers out to these places to see if they can catch the culprits and give them a few hefty fines for not picking up after their dogs? If you know who the owners are could you not just report them to the local council?

Our dog warden is kept busy with reports of dog fouling, and regularly does extra patrols in areas that have been reported, with some degree of success, but sometimes it seems that she is facing a losing battle against the irresponsible dog owners.

If someone reports somebody letting their dog out to foul, then the warden visits the house to have a word with the owners. This, and a warning letter with the threat of a hefty fine usually does the trick.

Janet

This, and a warning letter with the threat of a hefty fine usually does the trick.

Trouble is, this will only have some effect on that particular abuser. What is needed is a few well-publicised £1000 fines to concentrate the minds of all the abusers.

We have signs up in our area indicating no fouling and the penalties as well as dog no go areas especially near schools and parks. Our wardens enforce all aspects of the new dog control orders and have successfully prosecuted many owners since February. So my conclusion is that some authorities will and others can't be ar*ed

Dont know if its already been mentioned (didnt really want to read 5 pages about dog poo just before lunch) Some idiot round here decided it was a good idea to spray paint round all left dog poo. After the next down pour all that was left was loads of spray paint circles! I dont know what he was trying to achive.

I couldnt belive going when we got to the tail end of Birmingham how much the canal round there stunk of shit! It was horrible. It was also the only place in a whole weeks travel where we got anything caught around the prop. :lol:

• 4 months later...
The oft repeated scene that always tickles me is when you get two dog owners letting their dogs run off the lead on the towpath; dogs meet, potential aggro between them and then the owners look askance at each other. Surely the other person must know it's only my dog that can be off the lead ?? Whilst on the rant, why do dog owners nearly all seem to think we'll be amused by their dribbling creatures mooching round the boat or lunging up at us, accompanied by the refrain 'don't worry, it's friendly'. Finally, I think they would be far better training them to c**p in the bottom of the hedgerow, rather than gathering the faeces up into a bag and slinging that into the hedge or cut. At least natural decomposition can take place then.

Mike.

For dont worry he is just a bit lively mate or its all right he is friendly read i have no control over my dog whatsoever,We take our dog with us on the boat as i am sure do many others on here and she comes back as soon as she is called[as should all dogs or they shouldnt be off the lead to start with] when i see another dog approaching often without a owner i sight i put mine straight on the lead if for no other reason i can take the moral high ground should they decide that they dont like each other.

Take 2 dog poo bags with me as they have a habit of going twice just to make the owner look bad :lol: , Some twat at our marina has been letting his dog foul on the floating pontoons as well as the amount that is left on the grass areas by the car parks would love to catch him but suspect the dog is just thrown off the boat and let back on board later.

Still could kidnap the dog if caught and wait to see who turns up for it ! i suppose.

Have had manny rucks with owners who are either 400 mtrs behind or in front of there dogs when they either c£%p in front of my boat or try to mount my dog .

Back to that no bad dogs just bad training/owners,When you see it happen and the owner is in the distance on the towpath follow them and let them know whats happened these so called owners reley on no one saying anything but if they are hassled about it more often then maybe they will take the least line of resistance ie clean it up keep dog close.

This may be wishfull thinking but its better than moaning here and not when you see it happen,Plenty of decent dog owners out there its just that you remember the idiots more Steve.

For dont worry he is just a bit lively mate or its all right he is friendly read i have no control over my dog whatsoever,We take our dog with us on the boat as i am sure do many others on here and she comes back as soon as she is called[as should all dogs or they shouldnt be off the lead to start with] when i see another dog approaching often without a owner i sight i put mine straight on the lead if for no other reason i can take the moral high ground should they decide that they dont like each other.

Take 2 dog poo bags with me as they have a habit of going twice just to make the owner look bad :lol: , Some twat at our marina has been letting his dog foul on the floating pontoons as well as the amount that is left on the grass areas by the car parks would love to catch him but suspect the dog is just thrown off the boat and let back on board later.

Still could kidnap the dog if caught and wait to see who turns up for it ! i suppose.

Have had manny rucks with owners who are either 400 mtrs behind or in front of there dogs when they either c£%p in front of my boat or try to mount my dog .

Back to that no bad dogs just bad training/owners,When you see it happen and the owner is in the distance on the towpath follow them and let them know whats happened these so called owners reley on no one saying anything but if they are hassled about it more often then maybe they will take the least line of resistance ie clean it up keep dog close.

This may be wishfull thinking but its better than moaning here and not when you see it happen,Plenty of decent dog owners out there its just that you remember the idiots more Steve.

Mmme - I think I'd rather it shit near the boat than tried to mount me! :lol:

SteveE