Fancy helping a newbie?

LilMissMolly

Featured Posts

57 minutes ago, blackrose said:

These are very specific numbers: 4 boats - 2 in marina, 2 outside, 31 days in total. Presumably this is exactly what you did before deciding to buy a boat to live on?

Could that be because your boat's electrical system isn't up to it

I think anyone can imagine a liveaboard lifestyle without realising the discipline and rigour required. If they can manage the thirty one days, then they are real boaters!

Re laundry,

I don't want to live in a boat surrounded by wet sheets. Modern launderette machines are fast and efficient.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

I think anyone can imagine a liveaboard lifestyle without realising the discipline and rigour required. If they can manage the thirty one days, they are fully paid up boaters!

I don't want to live in a boat surrounded by wet sheets. Modern launderette machines are fast and efficient.

PS I was familiar with living in a boat, handling boats 

I didn't want to live in my flat any longer, so it was push from my circumstances.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I've got a washing machine but I've never used it, a one hour trip to a launderette every month costs £15 or less. All over in one go.

I wash socks etc by hand daily.

I call twaddle!

The wash cycle in a launderette followed by a dry cycle took might just about squeeze under an hour nowadays but most of my boating happens MILES away from launderettes. Do you plan your boating around launderette locations or do you just get lucky, month after month?

I bet cruising to near where a launderette is, mooring up, walking to the launderette lugging a month's worth of dirty clothes, doing the one hour wash cycle, bagging it all up again and lugging it all back to the boat again and unpacking it and putting it all away takes up at least a whole half a day ;)

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

I bet cruising to near where a launderette is, mooring up, walking to the launderette lugging a month's worth of dirty clothes, doing the one hour wash cycle, bagging it all up again and lugging it all back to the boat again and unpacking it and putting it all away takes up at least a whole half a day

Well, if it is a one hour trip to a launderette its also a one hour trip back from the launderette - add in the hour (or hour+) for the actual wash and another hour for the tumble dryer there is 4+ hours gone.

Bearing in mind LadyGs movements (or lack of due to breakdowns and canal closures) she probably has a very intimate knowledge of the location of the one and only launderette that she has used over the last few years.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well, if it is a one hour trip to a launderette its also a one hour trip back from the launderette - add in the hour (or hour+) for the actual wash and another hour for the tumble dryer there is 4+ hours gone.

Bearing in mind LadyGs movements (or lack of due to breakdowns and canal closures) she probably has a very intimate knowledge of the location of the one and only launderette that she has used over the last few years.

So, like I suggested, a whole half a day! 

Have to say I was being generous interpreting what she wrote as meaning time inside the launderette is one hour (which is not my experience of them) rather than as being the travelling time each way.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, MtB said:

I call twaddle!

The wash cycle in a launderette followed by a dry cycle took might just about squeeze under an hour nowadays but most of my boating happens MILES away from launderettes. Do you plan your boating around launderette locations or do you just get lucky, month after month?

I bet cruising to near where a launderette is, mooring up, walking to the launderette lugging a month's worth of dirty clothes, doing the one hour wash cycle, bagging it all up again and lugging it all back to the boat again and unpacking it and putting it all away takes up at least a whole half a day ;)

Just lucky I guess, had to get a taxi once, which was £10. Honestly they are thirty mins wash and twenty dry nowadays, and most do service washes so you can pay an extra two pounds and go to Tesco instead .

I'm retired: today was entertainment (a  film), tomorrow it's library, next day is the weekend, Sunday is a day of rest, Monday is decision day, Tuesday is moving day!

Two weeks since visiting the launderette, still got two changes of bedding, and about two months of clean clothing.

Not had a breakdown for a while, still heading south (ish)

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Just lucky I guess, had to get a taxi once, which was £10. Honestly they are thirty mins wash and twenty dry nowadays, and most do service washes so you can pay an extra two pounds and go to Tesco instead .

I'm retired: today was entertainment (a  film), tomorrow it's library, next day is the weekend, Sunday is a day of rest, Monday is decision day, Tuesday is moving day!

Not had a breakdown for a while, still heading south (ish)

This illustrates an interesting effect which is partly why I bought my hovel and moved off the boat. When I lived on the boat, the magic of it wore off like it appears to have done for you, and would get up, go out and do stuff nothing to do with boating. Come home to 'chores' like filling the water tank, changing the gas bottle etc etc. When I'm living on the bank, I go out TO the boat and spend my leisure time messing ON the boat. Much better!

25 minutes ago, MtB said:

This illustrates an interesting effect which is partly why I bought my hovel and moved off the boat. When I lived on the boat, the magic of it wore off like it appears to have done for you, and would get

go out and do stuff nothing to do with boating. Come home to 'chores' like filling the water tank, changing the gas bottle etc etc. When I'm living on the bank, I go out TO the boat and spend my leisure time messing ON the boat. Much better!

I sat in my flat, in the middle of nowhere and walked to a supermarket every day, and had other chores, like hoovering, and laundry. Not wanting to live like that for the next twenty years I bought a boat so I could move around. I can now visit launderettes  all over E&W :)

I never envisaged boating to be  anything other than a means of transport, warm in winter, and turns out to be cheaper!

Edited by LadyG

For nice clean washing you need a rubbing board as once used in Skiffle groups. No need to rub your waxhing on rocks to clean em like they do in certain 3rd world countries.  Here;s how to construct one. Obtain a lump of 18mm plywood about 2ftX1ft and a few strips of 1/2 round wooden beading, some wood glue, Gorilla glue is very good and some varnish, a handful of small panel pins. Pin and glue lengths of beading across and down the 2ft length of plywood at about 1'' intervals. Leave to dry.  A couple of coats of varnish, leave to dry and your new rubbing board is ready for rubbing your washing.  You can still buy em in some oil shops though. :closedeyes:

21 minutes ago, bizzard said:

For nice clean washing you need a rubbing board as once used in Skiffle groups. No need to rub your waxhing on rocks to clean em like they do in certain 3rd world countries.  Here;s how to construct one. Obtain a lump of 18mm plywood about 2ftX1ft and a few strips of 1/2 round wooden beading, some wood glue, Gorilla glue is very good and some varnish, a handful of small panel pins. Pin and glue lengths of beading across and down the 2ft length of plywood at about 1'' intervals. Leave to dry.  A couple of coats of varnish, leave to dry and your new rubbing board is ready for rubbing your washing.  You can still buy em in some oil shops though. 

Ribbed glass washboards and Acme rollers sorted laundry up to the introduction of the Hotpoint twin tub in 1962.

My launderette trips took less than five minutes ;)

Two minutes to drop it off

Three minutes to collect and pay for it.

Both done on the way to work.

And to add a boaty connection the lady that worked in the launderette was born on Renton 

• Happy 1

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Ribbed glass washboards and Acme rollers sorted laundry up to the introduction of the Hotpoint twin tub in 1962.

PS I only change gas twice a year, I get the empty cylinder out of the locker and a guy delivers a new one to bow deck.  Filling water is easier than mowing the lawn.

Cassette is a pain, but it's not the end of the world.

PS I used the Hebden Bridge Elsan, well hidden!

It's never cleaned AND has an official notice stating it is DRINKING WATER omg!!!!!?!?!

Edited by LadyG
PS

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

PS I only change gas twice a year, I get the empty cylinder out of the locker and a guy delivers a new one to bow deck.  Filling water is easier than mowing the lawn.

Cassette is a pain, but it's not the end of the world.

PS I used the Hebden Bridge Elsan, well hidden!

It's never cleaned AND has an official notice stating it is DRINKING WATER omg!!!!!?!?!

It takes a fortnight to fill with water at Hebden. 

Get yourself away to a more civilised society as soon as you can. 

16 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It takes a fortnight to fill with water at Hebden. 

Get yourself away to a more civilised society as soon as you can. 

The water tap is a bit slow, but a few decent pubs.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

7 hours ago, dmr said:

The water tap is a bit slow, but a few decent pubs.

Fortunately water tank gets filled at every opportunity, so only an hour to top up, albeit slowly.

A boutique town, most shops, and markets three or four days a week.

Edited by LadyG

LilMissMolly see what you started!

Now back to the matter at hand I've been window shopping, have a look at what look to be a few of the better boats available for around your budget at the moment:

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/pinder-45-cruiser-stern-for-sale/713447

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/colecraft-45-semi-trad-for-sale/709691

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/liverpool-boats-40-cruiser-stern-for-sale/714753

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/mn-narrowboats-45-traditional-for-sale/706567

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/bettisfield-boats-35-traditional-for-sale/710863

What do you think?

Edited by Crewcut
  • Greenie 2

4 hours ago, Crewcut said:

well ain’t you a darling! 🥹

certainly gives me a good idea of what’s about!!! - happy to see my preferences aren’t out of the realm of possibility with my budget too!!

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Punk63 said:

LillMissMolly, Hiya did you decide on the boating life?  I am Weedon based and looking for a live aboard.  I’ve always fancied it and now with a divorce looming it seems the time to do it.  

I’m actually currently looking at taking the plunge this year! 😁

In the process of boat hunting!

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/10/2022 at 14:23, LilMissMolly said:

I’m rather taken with the idea of eventually purchasing a narrowboat and becoming a liveaboard but I’m aware I know absolutely nothing.

My reasons are that I simply feel bored living in a house and find it mundane and unfulfilling (I know a boat will keep me on my toes, always something to do!)

another aspect is that the rental market is nuts and I hate having to have a housemate and throwing money at a place that isn’t even mine (based in Northampton, so it’s pretty expensive here!)

I’m looking at booking a boat holiday to see if I would actually enjoy it as so far, my experience has been visiting a friend on theirs - so no experience navigating, maintaining etc.

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice and share some stories of their experiences?

Will it be a good idea? What sort of things can I brush up on, research and learn about in the meantime to make the transition a bit easier if I decide to go ahead?

Realistically I probably won’t begin looking until I know all the facts and decide if it’s actually a good idea - plus the market has gone bonkers thanks to lockdown and cost of living!

Here’s my current situation if it helps you formulate your points on the reality:
- 29 year old nurse and drive

- Based in Northampton and work here
- have a cat
- only ever resided in houses; quite like my washing machine and wifi but not a big tv watcher (more kindle or gaming) so only really use one for when I game.
- DIY skills go only as far as building flat packs right now.

- Have already looked into potential costs of mooring and licenses (£3,631.12 annually max as it’s dependant on size obvs)

- understand that I’d need to get a survey done when looking to buy (hull condition, engine condition, wiring and bilge condition and functionality?)

- understand blackening every 2 years and BSS every 4.

Really I’m looking for:
- what is the reality of living the Narrowboat life?
- daily running of a Narrowboat (such as mandatory jobs etc)
- the tech stuff I should learn/know
- costs: running and buying something decent 
- what makes a good boat
- common issues and how to fix
- what to do when things go wrong 

- what type of toilet is best

- what’s it like doing it solo

If I did decide to go ahead I guess it’s figuring out what sort of size would be appropriate and realistically what price I should be expecting to pay (my budget at present is around £35k max) but I’ll save more if needs be. I imagine something that’s in good shape and liveaboard ready won’t come cheap.

I’d quite like something with a traditional layout (if that’s the right word? So bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/lounge being their own rooms per say) with fixed double bed, shower room, kitchen, no fixed seating and some form of deck to sit out in when the suns out. Plus storage!!

Anything you lovely bunch are willing to share will be greatly appreciated!
Let’s hear it all!
The horrors, the victories and everything inbetween and beyond!

Just curious to know, how did you get on? Seeing this is dated back in 2022 and you had a fair few replies. Did you make the plunge, work out ok? I am in a position re total newbie, reading more negative than positive.