Fancy helping a newbie?

LilMissMolly

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

They may be a mental Health nurse though? However that could be just as useful at times. 

I agree though that hiring a boat is a good idea to get a feel for what it’s like on a boat. 

Hehehe

you’re bang on the money there - I’m the Mental Health variety 😉

fortunately there have been some really amazing people on here who have reached out offering me some opportunities, so can get some hands on experience!

Really do appreciate how friendly and open people are on here!

youtube videos can only offer so much (and can sometimes be a little misleading) always find it a good idea to spread the research net a bit further and check multiple sources and ask about - no two experiences are the same and seems to be people of all ages and abilities here (plus different lengths of time spent liveaboarding!) 

so to everyone who has responded - huge thank you for what you’ve shared and taking the time! Much appreciated!

Living in Northampton as we do, I can confirm that the Nene floods very badly during the winter and I have many pictures to prove it. I can hardly see it improving. I can also confirm that Northampton roads are awful, clogged with roadworks linked to new developments and essential repairs but that may not be so much of a problem if you work shifts.

As the nights close in living on a boat must be difficult and must require a certain type of person to accept the long "nights", the cold weather and carry out the regular chores. Boats leak based on my very short experience and while in summer you can deal with it, winter is totally different. I could not live aboard permanently.

So, what can I offer in advice? Not much but boat people are always willing to give their advice and help with the caveat that you may need a filter as some of the well-meaning advice I have been given was wrong. Ask around.

Mooring is important so look for advice here. Know what your budget is and remember BOAT is an acronym for Bring On Another Thousand (Pounds). Do your research, cost everything and do not rush to buy the first boat you see. Hiring for a few days sounds a good idea but I would imagine it as being somewhat artificial. Do hirers actually have to worry about gas supply, diesel, emptying tanks....

I would recommend a helmspersons course. We learned a lot. 

Good luck.

Yep Northamptonshire has changed a lot since we moved up from Lunnon in 1987 to work at the ‘county asylum’

I used to cycle in from weedon every day.

Northampton is so bad  the only time we have been there has been to get our covid jabs in the last 6 years. . Northamptonshire has got so bad we have just sold up. 1400 new houses  less than 2 miles from our village retreat has done for us.

Lunnon commuting  and the rurbanites who want town facility in a rural area have killed the fun.

47 minutes ago, SLC said:

Boats leak based on my very short experience

An all steel narrow boat should not leak, although they are known for suffering condensation on the single glazed windows. That can be addressed by installing clear film type double glazing or something more substantial. However, at the budget the OP mentioned it will be an older boat so leaks between the window frames and cabin side or roof vents and roof are far more likely. This is because a steel rusts it expands and pushes the window frame away from any sealant. Such leaks can be difficult to find in ingress point because the water tends to run away from it and shows itself in a totally different place. A competent DIYer should be able to remove the windows or vents, one at a time, in summer, deal with the rust and reseal.

To the OP - when viewing boats look for darker stains on the cabin lining, they tend to identify leaks.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 30/10/2022 at 17:48, junior said:

I was in the same position as you ten years ago and just went for it. It depends what sort of person you are, but I doubt there's too many people who bite the bullet and get a boat to live on and regret it.

One thing I have noticed over the years when people post questions such as yours, is that most of the replies are cautious, bordering on negative. I've never figured out why ..

One reason is that boats depreciate and houses appreciate.

Second reason is that boats require dedicated maintenance but houses mostly need a bit of BandQ every few years as fashions change.

Boats are not for everyone and it's a big investment to find out

On 30/10/2022 at 16:09, Loddon said:

Don't be out on the Nene when it's in flood it can get very nasty.

Not all marinas on the Nene are equal for example Billing goes underwater and you could wake up one morning and be trapped on your boat until the water recedes. @blackrose has experience of this.🤭

Yes I do. However the main reason that nearly all of the Billing aquadrome residents find themselves stranded when the river floods is that they lack experience and are ill equipped.

The pontoons themselves are floating so there's no problem there, but it's the bridge to the bank which goes underwater by a few feet. I just put on a pair of chest waders and a lifejacket and strolled past the crowd which had congregated on the bridge, greeting the fire brigade people on the other side as I walked past. 

I'm not trying to be condescending, but honestly, most of those Billing people don't even own a pair of wellies. They're people who happen to live on boats rather than boaters. If you live on a boat you've got to be prepared. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

An all steel narrow boat should not leak, although they are known for suffering condensation on the single glazed windows. That can be addressed by installing clear film type double glazing or something more substantial. However, at the budget the OP mentioned it will be an older boat so leaks between the window frames and cabin side or roof vents and roof are far more likely. This is because a steel rusts it expands and pushes the window frame away from any sealant. Such leaks can be difficult to find in ingress point because the water tends to run away from it and shows itself in a totally different place. A competent DIYer should be able to remove the windows or vents, one at a time, in summer, deal with the rust and reseal.

To the OP - when viewing boats look for darker stains on the cabin lining, they tend to identify leaks.

what sort of budget would I be aiming for in regards to an all steel to avoid the leaky problem? 

Fortunately my budget can be a bit flexible for the right boat - extra shifts are easy to get with how things are currently and sadly I can’t see that changing anytime soon. Happy to take the grind in my stride!

thank you for the tip also! 
I’ll be sure to add it in my list! Most of the time people have said about the hull, engine and bilge! So always good to get a few extra pointers when it comes to the search! x

On 30/10/2022 at 16:52, Loddon said:

It's true that the floods can be biblical on the Nene, a year or so ago it was closed from October to March because of flooding.

However there are marinas on the Nene that will cope with high and low water levels Blackthorn has had high water levels of over 6ft  with no problems at all so much so I don't worry keeping my boat there as I know it's safe,  Lilford is similarly OK. Oundle and Billing are not.

There are very few flood proof moorings on line on the Nene I can only think of one and that's a private mooring for one boat, at most of the others the bank gets wet.🥱

If you think the Nene floods are biblical you should see the Warks Avon. Where I used to moor near Bidford it could go up 8ft in 48 hours. Seriously scary even if you're used to it.

7 minutes ago, LilMissMolly said:

what sort of budget would I be aiming for in regards to an all steel to avoid the leaky problem? 

I regret that I can not answer that. My 54ft &25,000 (selling price) 30 year old cruiser stern had no leaks because I fixed them but I have heard of new boats with no form of sealing between the window frame and cabin side. I will leave others to try to answer your question. The best I can say is try to learn the signs and smells of damp and rot so you get an idea bout fully or partially hidden problems. Don't get seduced by a smart clean interior. When you have a short list for viewing ask if a local member is willing to look over them with you and also post a link to the details here. That does not mean that you won't need a survey.

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yes I do. However the main reason that nearly all of the Billing aquadrome residents find themselves stranded when the river floods is that they lack experience and are ill equipped.

The pontoons themselves are floating so there's no problem there, but it's the bridge to the bank which goes underwater by a few feet. I just put on a pair of chest waders and a lifejacket and strolled past the crowd which had congregated on the bridge, greeting the fire brigade people on the other side as I walked past. 

I'm not trying to be condescending, but honestly, most of those Billing people don't even own a pair of wellies. They're people who happen to live on boats rather than boaters. If you live on a boat you've got to be prepared. 

That’s pretty standard for a fair amount of Northamptonians sadly, whether on boats or in general 😂 not saying it to be mean, I guess it just comes down to how people grew up or what they were exposed to - and what they are willing to learn!

I grew up on farms down south, preparation was key and hard graft was the norm! 
My mind is often blown by people here!

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Second reason is that boats require dedicated maintenance but houses mostly need a bit of BandQ every few years as fashions change.

Boats are not for everyone and it's a big investment to find out

And another reason is that I think Junior is handy and capable of much DIY work. Those of us who have been professionally involved for tens of years know that can not be applied to all new boaters.

On 30/10/2022 at 14:23, LilMissMolly said:

I’m rather taken with the idea of eventually purchasing a narrowboat and becoming a liveaboard but I’m aware I know absolutely nothing.

My reasons are that I simply feel bored living in a house and find it mundane and unfulfilling (I know a boat will keep me on my toes, always something to do!)

another aspect is that the rental market is nuts and I hate having to have a housemate and throwing money at a place that isn’t even mine (based in Northampton, so it’s pretty expensive here!)

I’m looking at booking a boat holiday to see if I would actually enjoy it as so far, my experience has been visiting a friend on theirs - so no experience navigating, maintaining etc.

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice and share some stories of their experiences?

Will it be a good idea? What sort of things can I brush up on, research and learn about in the meantime to make the transition a bit easier if I decide to go ahead?

Realistically I probably won’t begin looking until I know all the facts and decide if it’s actually a good idea - plus the market has gone bonkers thanks to lockdown and cost of living!

Here’s my current situation if it helps you formulate your points on the reality:
- 29 year old nurse and drive

- Based in Northampton and work here
- have a cat
- only ever resided in houses; quite like my washing machine and wifi but not a big tv watcher (more kindle or gaming) so only really use one for when I game.
- DIY skills go only as far as building flat packs right now.

- Have already looked into potential costs of mooring and licenses (£3,631.12 annually max as it’s dependant on size obvs)

- understand that I’d need to get a survey done when looking to buy (hull condition, engine condition, wiring and bilge condition and functionality?)

- understand blackening every 2 years and BSS every 4.

Really I’m looking for:
- what is the reality of living the Narrowboat life?
- daily running of a Narrowboat (such as mandatory jobs etc)
- the tech stuff I should learn/know
- costs: running and buying something decent 
- what makes a good boat
- common issues and how to fix
- what to do when things go wrong 

- what type of toilet is best

- what’s it like doing it solo

If I did decide to go ahead I guess it’s figuring out what sort of size would be appropriate and realistically what price I should be expecting to pay (my budget at present is around £35k max) but I’ll save more if needs be. I imagine something that’s in good shape and liveaboard ready won’t come cheap.

I’d quite like something with a traditional layout (if that’s the right word? So bedroom, bathroom and kitchen/lounge being their own rooms per say) with fixed double bed, shower room, kitchen, no fixed seating and some form of deck to sit out in when the suns out. Plus storage!!

Anything you lovely bunch are willing to share will be greatly appreciated!
Let’s hear it all!
The horrors, the victories and everything inbetween and beyond!

Get another cat. 
And move. 

Northampton, why? Where is it?

Relocate northwards. 

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

When you have a short list for viewing ask if a local member is willing to look over them with you and also post a link to the details here. That does not mean that you won't need a survey.

There should be a few people from here who can view boats with you. I'm about halfway down the Nene so if it's on the Nene or GU near Northampton I don't mind going. Send me a PM if you find anything worthwhile that you're seriously interested in buying.

3 hours ago, SLC said:

Boats leak based on my very short experience

Blimey, a generalisation with knobs on!

I'd like to point out that building and cars also leak. But just like boats, not all of them. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Not always.

The property market looks all set for a 25% haircut over the next three or four years, so now could be a BRILLIANT time to sell up and buy a boat. IMHO. 

1 hour ago, LilMissMolly said:

That’s pretty standard for a fair amount of Northamptonians sadly, whether on boats or in general 😂 not saying it to be mean, I guess it just comes down to how people grew up or what they were exposed to - and what they are willing to learn!

I grew up on farms down south, preparation was key and hard graft was the norm! 
My mind is often blown by people here!

Thats your profession not the locals believe me.

After a lifetime as a psych nurse in 3 countries my view of humanity is as warped as my sense of humour.

People are the same everywhere.

Sorry some of you have a poor view of Northampton. As someone born and always lived in the town or county (except for some years at sea)  we do not recognise the place either. We weren’t asked if we wanted the Development corporation or all the modern slums housing Londoners and then all the housing brought by people who were selling up anywhere south and finishing up with a handy lump sum. The whole place has changed and not for the better. It was a very fine market town with good industry, more parks than almost any comparable size town, the river and of course the canals.

5 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Sorry some of you have a poor view of Northampton. As someone born and always lived in the town or county (except for some years at sea)  we do not recognise the place either. We weren’t asked if we wanted the Development corporation or all the modern slums housing Londoners and then all the housing brought by people who were selling up anywhere south and finishing up with a handy lump sum. The whole place has changed and not for the better. It was a very fine market town with good industry, more parks than almost any comparable size town, the river and of course the canals.

I go to Northampton once in a while to fix a boiler. It never strikes me as particularly bad. Most town centres are are actually pretty rough, even those generally perceived as a quite posh. 

Chesham where I was today being a good example. 

19 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Northampton is a bit Brian Clough as are most towns along the M1 corridor. I'm sure it wasn't always like this as you say, but the same thing has happened to a lot of other towns and cities. I grew up in the leafy suburbs of NW London which now look like the inner city and are equally dangerous. 

Edited by blackrose

If you're based in Northampton and drive, you do have a good choice of marinas or possible canal moorings. The River Nene is lovely, but not at all practical to live on outside marinas

As you have quite a demanding job, it's worth bearing in mind that boats can be quite demanding too!

2 hours ago, LilMissMolly said:

Most boats are all steel (there were some older boats that had wooden or fibreglass cabins and steel hulls that tended to leak a lot where the materials met, but not many and mostly at the budget end of the market). Even all steel boats can still get drips in screw holes, but that's what sealant is for! If the hull is in good condition it shouldn't leak at the bottom, which is the bit that really matters.

Boats have gone up a lot in price in the last couple of years - £40-50k is probably a reasonable budget for a decently-specced liveaboard boat. Cheaper options exist, but the good ones tend to sell very quickly and the bad ones can end up expensive to fix their issues. Plenty of boat brokerages in Northamptonshire to look around if and when you make a decision to go ahead 

On 30/10/2022 at 15:40, MtB said:

I'd recommend reading the book about it by Tony Jones. "Living Aboard". 

A well written book by a sensible bloke who is also an occasional poster here under the username "tonyreptiles". Guess what he knows about apart from boats! 

A brief google brings up the first edition. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liveaboard-Guide-Living-Afloat-Waterways/dp/1408145553

Pretty sure he updated and published a second edition two or three years ago.

I have this book and it's quite good

6 hours ago, LilMissMolly said:

Hehehe

you’re bang on the money there - I’m the Mental Health variety 😉

fortunately there have been some really amazing people on here who have reached out offering me some opportunities, so can get some hands on experience!

Really do appreciate how friendly and open people are on here!

youtube videos can only offer so much (and can sometimes be a little misleading) always find it a good idea to spread the research net a bit further and check multiple sources and ask about - no two experiences are the same and seems to be people of all ages and abilities here (plus different lengths of time spent liveaboarding!) 

so to everyone who has responded - huge thank you for what you’ve shared and taking the time! Much appreciated!

Mental health nurse, splendid, We need one here urgently. One has just left here to live on land because of arthritis trouble. You may know her, Trish Reynolds, She trains and teaches the art. You might know nurse Gladys Emanuel too, although she's a midwife. Nevertheless we need a mental nurse here again.

Edited by bizzard