Invading my space

astalweeks

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Probably. Just to clarify my thoughts: when on a popular visitor mooring, one should moor close to the next boat, probably sharing rings.  

What about mooring rope pox with the ropes so close? 😁 I have had people  say may I share your ring.

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Probably. Just to clarify my thoughts: when on a popular visitor mooring, one should moor close to the next boat, probably sharing rings. Otherwise you are a selfish git because there is limited space and you are preventing someone else from being able to moor.

When in the middle of no-where, it is impolite to moor unnecessarily close to someone else especially if you are going to make a noise.

Leave a good gap.

Not quite. Even on popular moorings, I at least start by mooring as far as I can from any other boat on the grounds of experience. If it gets crowded I'm happy to move up if it becomes necessary. But I'm sick of being deafened by generators and poisoned by engine fumes. And as to parrots.... The selfish gits are the ones who carry on running their engines for hours after a full days cruising, or the VM mooring hoggers who have been there a week and see no reason to move. And those who moor on the next ring and pump my boat full of poison.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think short term visitor moorings should have a “no static running of engines/generators” rule. If you can’t last a day or two without running the engine, you can bugger off and run your engine somewhere else.

Or at the very least, a specified and short time when engines can be run, say 10am to midday. Then everyone who wants to can run engines at the same time whilst those wanting peace can go for a walk.

In these days of laser printing I guess most folks could run up a few laminated posters to add to the other blue signs  

I think the boat who just moored in front of me must be reading this thread.

Stopped at a nearly deserted Wormleighton Summit for lunch-passed a boat moored up near the bridge and about four hundred yards away but otherwise not a single boat moored up in sight. 

Within minutes the moored boat moves, cuts in within a few inches of my bow and ties up 50-60 foot in front of me. 😀

38 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think short term visitor moorings should have a “no static running of engines/generators” rule. If you can’t last a day or two without running the engine, you can bugger off and run your engine somewhere else.

Or at the very least, a specified and short time when engines can be run, say 10am to midday. Then everyone who wants to can run engines at the same time whilst those wanting peace can go for a walk.

I think you're onto something with the idea of different engine running rules for visitor moorings, although I personally would allow a window of say 10am to 4pm to allow for people who are away from the boat for a few hours. But that's just detail, really. 

The real problem with these ideas, as you'll already know, is enforcement. CRT can't effectively enforce the existing 8 to 8 rule, so there's simply no chance they'll bring in a new rule. Not that it isn't interesting to hear these ideas, of course. One must always live in hope. 

In terms of personal annoyances, I often moor at least 200 yards from the line of boats that you usually find near to popular mooring places. What I'm hoping to do is give the impression that I've chosen to moor well away from the other boats because I'm not very sociable. (I am of course the very embodiment of joviality when I'm looking for a bit of help at a lock.)

So it is slightly annoying when someone turns up and moors 6 feet from me, when there is another 300 yards of piling that is nearer to the place they actually want to visit. 

Of course I am always a perfect gentleman about it, and I never show my irritation in any way, apart from slightly murdering them with an axe in the middle of the night, and then jumping up and down on their cowboy hat. Its all about moderation.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have a suspicion the definition of a git gap has changed over the last few years, in that the first word no longer refers to the gap leaver  but to the people you really don't want to get close to!

Oh. Nobody told me that!

• 1 year later...

Got a right one this afternoon. We moored at Kingsbury (bottom of Curdworth) having cruised from Fazeley and thus of course passing miles of piled bank where one could moor. No other boats here, very peaceful (apart from the geese!).

An hour or so later, another boat appears and moors 1/2 a boat length away. No problem, it is quite a popular mooring spot even though it’s not an official visitor mooring. We exchanged smiles and waves.

The 5 minutes later, they start up their noisy frame generator. I just don’t get why people would think that is reasonable behaviour especially as places to moor are not in short supply on this stretch of cut,

After a short while I go over and ask how long they are going to run it and hint that perhaps it wasn’t really necessary to pass by miles of moorable space in order to moor next to us and share the noise of their generator with us. Needless to say I got outrage and abuse. Apparently I was the selfish one (for expecting peace, presumably) and he was entitled to run his generator within 8 to 8.

Personally I would never have a frame generator because they are inherently noisy that just says “selfish” all over it (unless you never run it in earshot of other people).

I might have considered moving but was in the middle of an oil change and by the time I’d finished, darkness was approaching.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

9 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

When similar has happened to me I make sure I leave very very early and very noisily.😎 

You could even leave before dawn and accidentally bump into them in the dark... 😉

13 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

When similar has happened to me I make sure I leave very very early and very noisily.😎 

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

You could even leave before dawn and accidentally bump into them in the dark... 😉

Trouble is that both those ideas require me to get up early. That is a non-starter!

The nice chap eventually turned off his generator and came to let me know in no uncertain terms, I think he used a lump hammer to knock on the side of our boat - well that’s what it sounded like. He said “Happy now? You knocked on my boat so I’ve knocked on yours.” What a lovely chap. He did mention that he can’t cruise much because he has a “medical issue”. Let’s hope it’s nothing trivial.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Going backwards ??????

No we turned around already, we are bow to bow.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Got a right one this afternoon. We moored at Kingsbury (bottom of Curdworth) having cruised from Fazeley and thus of course passing miles of piled bank where one could moor. No other boats here, very peaceful (apart from the geese!).

An hour or so later, another boat appears and moors 1/2 a boat length away. No problem, it is quite a popular mooring spot even though it’s not an official visitor mooring. We exchanged smiles and waves.

The 5 minutes later, they start up their noisy frame generator. I just don’t get why people would think that is reasonable behaviour especially as places to moor are not in short supply on this stretch of cut,

After a short while I go over and ask how long they are going to run it and hint that perhaps it wasn’t really necessary to pass by miles of moorable space in order to moor next to us and share the noise of their generator with us. Needless to say I got outrage and abuse. Apparently I was the selfish one (for expecting peace, presumably) and he was entitled to run his generator within 8 to 8.

Personally I would never have a frame generator because they are inherently noisy that just says “selfish” all over it (unless you never run it in earshot of other people).

I might have considered moving but was in the middle of an oil change and by the time I’d finished, darkness was approaching.

they may have been cursing all day with the electric motor,

🤷‍♀️

😂

good for you having a word,

most of us would sit and moan without saying anything,

they may just think next time before setting up so close to someone else, 

…one can always live in hope

7 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

they may have been cursing all day with the electric motor,

🤷‍♀️

😂

good for you having a word,

most of us would sit and moan without saying anything,

they may just think next time before setting up so close to someone else, 

…one can always live in hope

Let’s hope so. Clearly he has been angry for the past hour or so maybe it might occur to him not to repeat the act for the sake of his own tranquility. Not holding my breath though, his sense of righteous entitlement was pretty strong!

Name and shame time, well a picture anyway. Apart from anything else, who uses a terrestrial tv aerial these days!

IMG_1602.thumb.jpeg.2b8ad4f032c723060cd1c006cd7ad5ca.jpeg

I had one on the Bridgewater still running his engine at 10pm to watch TV with knackered batteries. He didn't like how I knocked on his boat, I thought one or both of us may be taking a swim that night. He still said I was out of order banging on his boat that time of night

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

I think that the 'rule' is misquoted - and oft misunderstood: it is expected that generators be not run between 8 pm and 8 am. At other times thereto is a general requirement to not be a nuisance. There is no right to running at any particular time.

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Let’s hope so. Clearly he has been angry for the past hour or so maybe it might occur to him not to repeat the act for the sake of his own tranquility. Not holding my breath though, his sense of righteous entitlement was pretty strong!

Name and shame time, well a picture anyway. Apart from anything else, who uses a terrestrial tv aerial these days!

Perfect  position for an early start 😉

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I think that the 'rule' is misquoted - and oft misunderstood: it is expected that generators be not run between 8 pm and 8 am. At other times thereto is a general requirement to not be a nuisance. There is no right to running at any particular time.

Its probably worth looking at the wording of the rule:

10.9. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway You must not do (or carelessly fail to do) or permit anything which will cause injury, damage or nuisance to Us or any person or their property. You accept responsibility for any such action caused or permitted by You or other occupants or users of the Boat. You will not be held responsible for events that are outside Your control if You have taken all reasonable steps to prevent such injury, damage or nuisance. You must:

10.9.1. behave considerately towards others (boaters and other Waterway and towpath Users);

10.9.2. not use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the Waterway between 8pm and 8am, unless You are moored in isolation, out of earshot of other people. We do not intend this Condition to stop You moving the Boat from the mooring;

36 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Since he must know he had a noisy genny, why on earth didn't he moor at the far end of the grassy stretch where there's nobody to disturb? 😞

14 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

This is the point really. Much as I hate generators I realise that some people need to use them if they don’t boat much. Fair enough if there is nowhere else to moor. But when there is miles of space but you choose to moor close to someone else and then immediately run your generator, that is just selfish and definitely a nuisance. An unnecessary nuisance that could easily be avoided with a tiny bit of consideration for others.

• Greenie 2

Just now, IanD said:

Since he must know he had a noisy genny, why on earth didn't he moor at the far end of the grassy stretch where there's nobody to disturb? 😞

There is a winding hole further along, but he was still a couple of boat lengths closer than he needed to be. Apparently he was being considerate by leaving 1/2 boat length gap rather than mooring right next to us.

3 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Why have you turned round? The delights  of Birmingham beckon 😊🤣

It’s so quiet further up, passed 2 boats going all day in lovely weather bar one 10 minute shower. 

Jeff is studying for his MA and we need to go home on Friday. And weather for the next couple of days is not hugely conducive to locks and cruising!