Bowthruster usage

Stroudwater1

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, MtB said:

Oh dear. There are ways to do those K&A locks going uphill without getting bashed about.

The trouble with getting reliant on a bow thruster is when it packs up, you are up a creek without a ... oh, never mind. 

We spent 8 years based on the K&A, back and forth, so no need for the condescension, intended or not. And actually over the years I grew to think myself quite the helmsman, looking askance on bow thruster users. It's an affectation of the modern leisure boating fraternity isn't it, to pretend to 'authenticity'. One might just as well sport a red neckerchief, weskit and flat cap. And chew baccy. 

It's hard work pulling the boat by the centreline when it's caught in the wind though for instance, or indeed spinning the boat on the tidal Thames to come in at Limehouse with chop, wind, and tide. 

So much easier now to have complete, reliable precise boat control,  with helm and thruster when required.

Like so much easier it's simply amazing. Spin it, drive it sideways, reverse and steer at speed with complete control etc. 

In the event it packs up - well I'm just going to be back to doing like we did for the last 15 years. Not sure that's quite 'up the creek' as we did manage, really.

• Greenie 3

22 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

It's hard work pulling the boat by the centreline when it's caught in the wind though for instance,

not in your case perhaps,

but it surprises me watching some one struggle when there’s a bollard or ring at their feet, 

if I have to explain that, 

then ???🤷‍♀️

8 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

but it surprises me watching some one struggle when there’s a bollard or ring at their feet, 

then ???🤷‍♀️

12 minutes ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

then ???🤷‍♀️

Actually you don't have to explain it. That's just something you feel you have to do. 

If it is a brushed motor its probably worth running occasionally to stop it seizing.

Apparently the brushless type are infinitely controllable and can make the tea, light the fire and fill the water tank. And get beer !

Handy device.

• Haha 1

On 16/11/2023 at 09:08, MtB said:

I don't loathe bow thrusters per se. Its the ghastly, offensive, sharp screeching noise the electric ones make, piercing the peace of the canal that I dislike.

And particularly when people are using the bowthruster as an alternative to pushing the tiller to one side. Bowthrusters have their place for awkward manoeuvres, but using them when the boat is travelling forwards at any significant speed is both needless and largely ineffective.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And particularly when people are using the bowthruster as an alternative to pushing the tiller to one side. Bowthrusters have their place for awkward manoeuvres, but using them when the boat is travelling forwards at any significant speed is both needless and largely ineffective.

I would say Very ineffective and I have a bowthruster

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would say Very ineffective and I have a bowthruster

Likewise.

I had been boating for 40 years before getting a boat with a bow thruster, so knew how to steer before I had one. I wasn't looking for a boat with a bow thruster but the boat I liked already had one so I ended up with one.

In the ten years I have had the boat the bow thruster has worked for perhaps four years (it seized up from condensation and lack of use :().

I rarely use it and certainly not whilst going forward at any speed. It is however extremely useful for difficult reverses and winding in tight or breezy locations. It isn't much use in strong winds though.

• Greenie 2

22 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I never considered a bowthruster for my boat (when I had one) because I couldn't find one that I could operate with my iphone.  

But that's dead easy -- you take the iphone in your hand and press it against the BT joystick to move it... 😉

Works with Android too. Or even Blackberry, or Windows Phone, or Symbian, or Tizen, or Palm, or...

Edited by IanD

38 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

I never considered a bowthruster for my boat (when I had one) because I couldn't find one that I could operate with my iphone.  

Give it time, the way app. development is going it'll happen I'm sure.

I asked a bloke once if he had a bowthruster and he said he had a wife who was good with the pole. 

I wondered if there was a hidden Carry On film innuendo of some sort as he seemed amused. 

Maybe she actually was competent with the long shaft. 

On 15/11/2023 at 21:44, MtB said:

Oh dear. There are ways to do those K&A locks going uphill without getting bashed about.

The trouble with getting reliant on a bow thruster is when it packs up, you are up a creek without a ... oh, never mind. 

Are there? I eventually worked out a system that involved taking both the centre line and the bow line ashore and continually adjusting them on the bollards as the boat rose in the lock, but compared to 'proper' locks (Hatton Flight) it was just a faff. Go up the Hatton flight, wrap the centre line around bollard, open top paddle on the same side as the boat is moored and she just sits there perfectly as she rises up, that just doesn't happen on the K & A.

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

he had a wife who was good with the pole.

I looked up some google images but could't at first find anything that was fit to be posted 

But these Poles appear to be good

image.png.8251bbfb39c9242170a930a5208fc032.png

• 2 weeks later...