Gosh - it was cold today

Gordon Chesterman

Featured Posts

Here in the Fens the wind blows off Siberia, howls over the North Sea and straight up my trouser legs, down my sleeves, around my neck and into my face. Other than wrapping eight feet of scarf around your head, wearing three pairs of trousers and four gloves - how else do people keep warm whilst standing on the back steering..?!

Gordon

My wife uses a motorcycle heated waistcoat. Suprisingly effective and only draws about 5 amps.

She suffers from Reynauld's Syndrome, so is very susceptible to cold on the extremities. By using the waistcoat it helps keep up the core temperature which helps keep the extremities warm. She also has some heated gloves for really extreme conditions.

Edited by dor

We did end up having a nice scattering of snow here last night - but no where near like that above!

(And, as an aside, Snibbles advice about putting ash into puddles to help smooth the towpath is bloody brilliant!)

I have a one-piece thermal suit with built in hood that I bought for angling. OK - I look like a blue Michelin man, but I'm warm as toast in there!! I don't think they make they any more, but all the mail order angling suppliers have plenty of choice in more modern, and probably far superior, garments. Don't expect them to be cheap!!

Dick

I have a one-piece thermal suit with built in hood that I bought for angling. OK - I look like a blue Michelin man, but I'm warm as toast in there!!

Now there's a thought, I have a one-piece thermal suit without a hood, which is a diver's garment to wear inside a drysuit.

Dive shops would know it as a ‘Wooly Bear’.

I wouldn't recommend googling for a Wooly Beaver, but they do a few undersuits here

(messed up the link, clck ‘Products’ and then ‘Undersuits’)

Edited by Moley

Sorry but I don't understand why anyone wants to move in this sort of weather? It's as much as I can do to live on a boat in the cold & I don't even want to think about moving. As long as I've got plenty of coal and plenty of grub onboard I'm fine but I don't want to be standing out on deck. I ride a motorbike everyday even through winter so that's quite enough cold and rain for me. Perhaps I've got that Reynauld's Syndrome too...

Light the range in the back cabin, shut the doors and pull the slide over..

with a barbour and jumper on all nice and warm :D

Oh and I can look at all these people with cruiser/semi trad/widebeam rear decks and feel VERY SMUG

edited to say: this can only be done if you have a "proper" boat

Duck before the flack flies

Light the range in the back cabin, shut the doors and pull the slide over..

with a barbour and jumper on all nice and warm :D

Oh and I can look at all these people with cruiser/semi trad/widebeam rear decks and feel VERY SMUG

edited to say: this can only be done if you have a "proper" boat

Duck before the flack flies

Turn the heater up in the wheelhouse (of my proper boat).