London boaters fight for moorings

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But you get free water at every CRT water point, well not free, it came out of that £900 you gave them.

I have never moored overnight in Llangollen in the summer months since. If I want a marina mooring I will happily pay for it, likewise electricity, but I expect to moor on the towpath paid for out of what I have already given them.

Your choice. However before they introduced the charges and built the basin, there was a good chance that you wouldn't even get a mooring if you arrived at Llangollen mid-week. Now you always can, so as a way of limiting demand and making it fairer for everyone else it has been a success.

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

you do get free water and electricity

The electricity is only free because the law changed.  As they legally must sell it at cost price, it's not worth the effort involved in administration to bill for it so they added a quid to the mooring fee and thought that would do.

I'd expect that to go up a bit with the new electricity prices.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The electricity is only free because the law changed.  As they legally must sell it at cost price, it's not worth the effort involved in administration to bill for it so they added a quid to the mooring fee and thought that would do.

Yes, I can see Llangollen becoming difficult to moor at again mid -week if there is a substantial increase in the number of electric or hybrid boats, all determined to recharge their batteries and cook on the free electric. 😉 🤣

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That'd cover the costs of a couple more Directors, 

I'd suggest managing additional new turnover of nearly £9m would take more than two extra directors, plus maybe an extra 50 employees out and about to actually collect the five quid a night off each boat. 

Oh and say 8 'team managers', four 'area mooring managers', and a couple of HR bods to manage all those extra contracts of employment. 

I doubt there would be much change left out of the £9m after paying for all that.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, I can see Llangollen becoming difficult to moor at again mid -week if there is a substantial increase in the number of electric or hybrid boats, all determined to recharge their batteries and cook on the free electric. 😉 🤣

And why would that be any different to diesel boats using the same 48h mooring?

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

plus maybe an extra 50 employees out and about to actually collect the five quid a night off each boat. 

You don't see many car-park attendents these days, its all done with cameras and phone payments.

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

Because Diesel boats are not going to use X Kw charging a huge battery bank.

38 minutes ago, IanD said:

A de E and Ditchcrawler beat me to it.

Edited by cuthound
To insert a missing space

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Its what happens in revers on the broads, power point put in to encourage electric boating, said power points use to run the dishwasher etc on the hire boats.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

But why does it matter? They pay for the mooring (48 hours max) and can plug in to electricity and water like any other boat -- and don't need to run an engine or generator to recharge batteries. What's the problem exactly? One boat takes up one mooring regardless...

Edited by IanD

13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Also I'm guessing the free electricity at Salthouse Dock in Liverpool won't continue.

10 hours ago, IanD said:

But why does it matter? They pay for the mooring (48 hours max) and can plug in to electricity and water like any other boat -- and don't need to run an engine or generator to recharge batteries. What's the problem exactly? One boat takes up one mooring regardless...

If overall electricity consumption in increases in dramatically then CRT will have to to increase in the mooring charge to compensate. This is will affect all boaters, the majority of which at present don't make use of the "free" electricity. 

27 minutes ago, cuthound said:

If overall electricity consumption in increases in dramatically then CRT will have to to increase in the mooring charge to compensate. This is will affect all boaters, the majority of which at present don't make use of the "free" electricity. 

I think you're making an anti-electric-boat mountain out of a diesel-loving molehill here, since the number of such boats is absolutely tiny and likely to remain so for many years -- so the vast majority of the boats at Llangollen will be diesel, just like today, and the effect on CART's electricity bill will be negligible... 😉

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

I think you're making an anti-electric-boat mountain out of a diesel-loving molehill here, since the number of such boats is absolutely tiny and likely to remain so for many years -- so the vast majority of the boats at Llangollen will be diesel, just like today, and the effect on CART's electricity bill will be negligible... 😉

No anti-electric boat mountain here, just an attempt at humour (you must have missed the laughing emoji's) misunderstood by those with a sense of humour bypass.

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

No anti-electric boat mountain here, just an attempt at humour (you must have missed the laughing emoji's) misunderstood by those with a sense of humour bypass.

As did you... 😉

P.S. Leave out the ad hominem crap, I'd expect it from some people on here but not you... 😉

2 minutes ago, IanD said:

As did you... 😉

P.S. Leave out the ad hominem crap, I'd expect it from some people on here but not you... 😉

Bless.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

This is will affect all boaters, the majority of which at present don't make use of the "free" electricity. 

I dunno, I've seen boats in Llangollen basin connect the umbilical before they tied their mooring lines!

We surprised Sid in Liverpool by not bothering to plug in to the bollard.  He knocked on the boat to remind me it was free because every boat except mine was connected, but I simply couldn't be bothered rummaging for the cable.

Being CCers we very rarely have access to shore power so we aren't dependent on it.  I will admit that on a mooring with free electric and water the washing machine gets a good workout!

20 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I dunno, I've seen boats in Llangollen basin connect the umbilical before they tied their mooring lines!

We surprised Sid in Liverpool by not bothering to plug in to the bollard.  He knocked on the boat to remind me it was free because every boat except mine was connected, but I simply couldn't be bothered rummaging for the cable.

Being CCers we very rarely have access to shore power so we aren't dependent on it.  I will admit that on a mooring with free electric and water the washing machine gets a good workout!

I've seen a few too, but most boats mooring in Llangollen are hire or shareboats, most of which don't have shore lines.

29 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

So why didn’t you use the free stuff in Liverpool? Only asking because there seems to be no logic in your post.

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I've seen a few too, but most boats mooring in Llangollen are hire or shareboats, most of which don't have shore lines.

We have a shore line on our share boat, but as we don’t have a combi charger/ inverter, we didn’t connect up when in the basin at Llangollen last summer.  It only provides shore power to the 230V system and the batteries have had a good charge with cruising every day.  It is used back at base though for running the vacuum cleaner between turnarounds.

1 hour ago, Stilllearning said:

So why didn’t you use the free stuff in Liverpool? Only asking because there seems to be no logic in your post.

Didn't need to run the washing machine that day and we were only in Salthouse Dock for two nights.

Because we only very rarely use shore power the cable is usually buried deep in a locker so it didn't seem worth the effort on that occasion.

I do dig it out if we go in for a week.

5 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

I did connect so as not to run the engine for a week, cant remember what we did about showering. When we were in Bristol there was electric left on the meter, but I couldn't find my 16A plug, the lead had a 13A one from drydocking

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

cant remember what we did about showering.

No immersion heater?

There are a couple of CRT showers in the far corner of the Albert Dock - these and the electricity were handy when refitting the bath and shower on my boat so I timed the work with a trip into Liverpool.