London boaters fight for moorings

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

New landlords in the local pub here, the change in the standard of cellaring was AMAZING!

Out of five of us, I was the only one noticing any difference in the beer. Desperately disappointing, how willing so many are to put up with shyte ale. 

It's not shyte it was a really good stout so good I kept on going back for more!

Just to give you an insight I have ran bars and my outlaws had a big busy hotel in Scotland. So I have spent plenty of time on both sides of the bar

14 hours ago, peterboat said:

Spoons isn't ripping off its customers it gives them good cheap beer! It's all the others doing the ripping off

I don’t think they are a rip off at all.
And I’m not so sure Woodenspoons can be blamed for the pub closers. 
Thinking of the few I have used they are in towns with a variety of thriving pubs. 
Stone is a good example. 

I will use them for a quick fix. 
Occasional a meal and a pint. 
But more likely a cheap breakfast and pint before going on a crawl. 

Im getting really fed up with the gastro pubs. The big open planned pubs that charge a fiver for a pint and give a shit choice of beer such as Doom Bar or Wainwright. 
And don’t mention the price of crisps!!

What was wrong with a bag of Smiths? All gotta be hand cooked now with balsamic vinegar. 
Potatoes “wanna be Smiths crisps”. 

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

Im getting really fed up with the gastro pubs. The big open planned pubs that charge a fiver for a pint and give a shit choice of beer such as Doom Bar or Wainwright. 

What was wrong with a bag of Smiths? All gotta be hand cooked now with balsamic vinegar. 

Completely agree, especially regarding the crisps. I've yet to taste a flavour that has improved on plain salted.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Completely agree, especially regarding the crisps. I've yet to taste a flavour that has improved on plain salted.

Agree about the crisps 😉

The reason for the spread of pricey gastropubs is very simple, they make more money. Much as I love wet-led boozers (or cheap pubs generally) they have difficulty surviving in many places because fewer people go out nowadays just to drink, and selling cheap food makes less money than selling expensive food -- it's the same reason cheap non-chain restaurants are closing in droves.

We no longer live in the 1950s when most pubs could survive on drinkers quaffing loads of beer, or even 20 years ago when they could survive on relatively cheap beer and food. So the choice is often a gastropub -- which at least often do have decent beer nowadays, thay're not all Doom Bar -- or no pub at all.

Or a 'spoons... 😉

Edited by IanD

On 20/08/2022 at 12:08, Goliath said:

That's cos you need to be eating the pork scratchings instead, especially if you're in the black country. The last time we asked for some in the Lock at Wolverley it was 'soft, medium or hard sir?'. A bag of your hardest, preferably with some bristley bits still attached 😁

We went to a 'chef and brewer' chain pub just outside Leamington last week, only for a beer and not to eat. I wasn't expecting anything special, but they  had beer on from the micro farm brewery at the bottom of the hill, 5% session IPA, absolutely lush.

• Happy 1

Just now, gatekrash said:

That's cos you need to be eating the pork scratchings instead, especially if you're in the black country. The last time we asked for some in the Lock at Wolverley it was 'soft, medium or hard sir?'. A bag of your hardest, preferably with some bristley bits still attached 😁

We went to a 'chef and brewer' chain pub just outside Leamington last week, only for a beer and not to eat. I wasn't expecting anything special, but they  had beer on from the micro farm brewery at the bottom of the hill, 5% session IPA, absolutely lush.

The Bull and Bladder also had various grades of pork scratchings, basically from "tourist" ( those light puffed-up insubstantial unsalty travesties) to "bostin" (what they do to your teeth and blood vessels, proper salty and crunchy with hairy bits). Guess which we had... 😉

1 hour ago, gatekrash said:

The Plough and Harrow sell cobs with cheese, onion and….Black Pudding!!

How brill is that?

🤤

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

The Plough and Harrow sell cobs with cheese, onion and….Black Pudding!!

How brill is that?

🤤

And Batham's beer!

:cheers:

2 hours ago, IanD said:

The Bull and Bladder also had various grades of pork scratchings, basically from "tourist" ( those light puffed-up insubstantial unsalty travesties) to "bostin" (what they do to your teeth and blood vessels, proper salty and crunchy with hairy bits). Guess which we had... 😉

And Batham's beer!

:cheers:

• Happy 2