Boat Index Number, different boat....

GoldenV

Featured Posts

Hello all, hope everyone is well and thanks in advance for your thoughts. 

I am looking to buy a narrowboat, I've seen another that I am pretty interested in which was listed yesterday. It is a 57ft cruiser. The current owners have shared a previous pre-purchase survey with me this morning, however, the boat name on the survey is different to the one advertised for sale - initial thought was name change (I'm waiting to hear back from the current owner).

I had a look at the Boat Index on Canal Plan for both names + the reg. no. listed in the survey. The only boat I can find with the reg. no. listed in the survey is for a 55ft long boat with a slightly different name to the one listed in the survey. The only boat listed with the boat name advertised for sale is 60ft rather than 57ft. The plot thickens.

I've emailed the surveyor to see if they are able to confirm whether they carried out this survey. 

Any thoughts? It is quite the mystery.....

The canalplan Boat Index info is what individual boat owners put on their licence applications. It has not been checked by BW or CRT. So it may or may not be correct. It is not inconceivable that someone has 'shortened' a boat to get it onto a lower licence price band.

If the boat is post 1997 there should be a Craft/Hull Identification Number visible on the hull, and associated paperwork.

• Greenie 1

I suspect that boats sometimes get a little longer when new owners respond to CRT T&Cs stating to include fixed fenders in the declared boat length.  In my view, everyone who buys a boat (including new builds) should specifically ask their surveyor to measure and report its dimensions.

Also sometimes boats are advertised as longer than they actually are. I remember meeting someone who was adamant that their boat was 39ft long when it was obviously more like 35ft. If the advert says 39ft and you buy the boat and never measure it then in your head it is 39ft long..

First impressions and all that. 

Without measuring or having another boat alongside it is fairly difficult to tell the difference between 57 and 60ft. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Stroudwater1 said:

The survey we had listed the boat name incorrectly though they did at least get the number right.

Is this a private sale? I would be wary if it is, are there any identifying descriptions in the survey and is it just a hull survey  eg anode sitings/ numbers or photos that can help? 

It is a private sale, and the photos included are quite blurred - it’s been photocopied in black and white. I’ve found who the survey was originally commissioned for on a Facebook boaters forum. So I’m going to message her to see if it’s the same boat too. 

it’s all pretty suspect, but could equally have a simple explanation. 

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

If the boat is post 1997

It’s a 1980s build so no ID sadly. 

Also bear in mind the boat listing data is not that current, do a search for one of the “popular” boat names like Kingfisher, Dreamcatcher, Lazy Days or Meander to get a broad sample and you’ll notice theres not many newer than about 2016.

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Also bear in mind the boat listing data is not that current, do a search for one of the “popular” boat names like Kingfisher, Dreamcatcher, Lazy Days or Meander to get a broad sample and you’ll notice theres not many newer than about 2016.

In 2013 when I bought my boat I changed the name, and the new name appears on my CRT licence, however the Canalplan listing for my boat's index number still has the old boat name. I don't think that site has been updated for years.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Grassman said:

In 2013 when I bought my boat I changed the name, and the new name appears on my CRT licence, however the Canalplan listing for my boat's index number still has the old boat name. I don't think that site has been updated for years.

I had previously thought that was the last reliable data year, but a test search showed dates from 2015 & 2016 so i wasn’t sure.

I seem to recall they lost access to the data (or were denied it) hence it’s lack of updates, shame really.

• Greenie 1

Just now, GoldenV said:

Thanks everyone, I hadn't realised Canalplan was so outdated which is a shame!

The canalplan data is, I think, provided by CRT supplying an new data file once in a while, and gets updated manually by one of the posters here, AIUI.

JonathanA, I think it is. I've an idea the updates happen every two or three years or whenever an urgent need to do it arises. It's thanks to JonathanA there is any data at all to look at. 

On 23/02/2022 at 09:21, jpcdriver said:

There is definitely data from 2016. I registered a new boat in July 2016 and it appears in the Canalplan database.

I changed the name of our boat when I bought it in 2013 and informed CRT. The annual CRT licence has since included the new name but that boat listing still shows the previous name.

On 23/02/2022 at 08:26, Grassman said:

We have updated with the data we have had from CRT. Last request went unanswered - previous data was junk with multiple boat index numbers being duplicated with different boat details. The one before that was incomplete and frankly spending hours evening after evening trying to fix up the mess they send really doesn't appeal to me any more . CRT don't publish their boat list like the EA do

Given how many people have run bulk scrapers over the site I'm surprised there aren't multiple sites offering the same service.

Edited by StephenA

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

We have updated with the data we have had from CRT. Last request went unanswered - previous data was junk with multiple boat index numbers being duplicated with different boat details. The one before that was incomplete and frankly spending hours evening after evening trying to fix up the mess they send really doesn't appeal to me any more . CRT don't publish their boat list like the EA do

Given how many people have run bulk scrapers over the site I'm surprised there aren't multiple sites offering the same service.

I can quite understand your frustration with CRT's lack of co-operation. It's a shame after all your hard work because it's such a great resource if it could be updated.

2 hours ago, StephenA said:

Thank you so much for your efforts to date, regardless of the most recent outcome. Apologies for confusing you with JonathanA.