Kids torch Usk

carlt

Featured Posts

I'd just spent a pleasant day in Matlock Bath, when, as we were setting off for home, my friend rang to tell me that Usk was very much alight and the fire brigade were on their way.

As I was 50 miles up the M1 there was little I could do at the time so I dropped swmbo and sprogs at home and made my way to the moorings.

By the time I got there it was all over bar a few wisps of smoke (which may well spark up again overnight but what can you do).

The fire brigade had attended, set up on the towpath and fired their hoses across the cut as the flames were too intense to approach from the mooring. They got the fire out, and were gone by the time I arrived.

The damage is far too severe for me to contemplate fixing her but, amazingly, she is still afloat and the bows and stern escaped major damage.

As a rebottomed tar boat, she is well worth saving (rebottoming is the biggest, most expensive bit of a rebuild) but the problem is finding someone to take her on (as I've found with Lucy).

As Usk's insurance only covers wreck salvage (sadly TPF&T wasn't an option), if she isn't taken on soon, by someone, my best option, financially and stress-wise, would be to strip out all her work boat bits (anyone know how much a josher day and main tank's worth?) and pass on the insurance details to BW.

There was a boat moored nearby whose owners saw the kids running away and gave a good description to the police so, hopefully, they'll be caught.

I'm so sorry to read about this Carl, it must be heartbreaking :blink: Have a virtual beer or two on us and a small weep too if you like.

Such a mindless waste, but then kids are a bit mindless i spose.

If it had been a forum member with a can of unleaded then i could understand it a bit more... :smiley_offtopic:

As I simply can't comprehend the mindset (sorry, what a hideous word) of anyone who would do such a thing, I really don't know what to say. Dreadful news.

You were already talking about getting rid, so was there much onboard?

Carl

It has all been said, just to let you know, I too am greatly saddened by this.

But

You now have your 'new' boat to put right, so maybe it is time to walk away from Usk and Lucy, it will be a shame, you have done your best to save them.

We could not ask anymore of you, onwards to the 'new' one.

I'd just spent a pleasant day in Matlock Bath, when, as we were setting off for home, my friend rang to tell me that Usk was very much alight and the fire brigade were on their way.

As I was 50 miles up the M1 there was little I could do at the time so I dropped swmbo and sprogs at home and made my way to the moorings.

By the time I got there it was all over bar a few wisps of smoke (which may well spark up again overnight but what can you do).

The fire brigade had attended, set up on the towpath and fired their hoses across the cut as the flames were too intense to approach from the mooring. They got the fire out, and were gone by the time I arrived.

The damage is far too severe for me to contemplate fixing her but, amazingly, she is still afloat and the bows and stern escaped major damage.

As a rebottomed tar boat, she is well worth saving (rebottoming is the biggest, most expensive bit of a rebuild) but the problem is finding someone to take her on (as I've found with Lucy).

As Usk's insurance only covers wreck salvage (sadly TPF&T wasn't an option), if she isn't taken on soon, by someone, my best option, financially and stress-wise, would be to strip out all her work boat bits (anyone know how much a josher day and main tank's worth?) and pass on the insurance details to BW.

There was a boat moored nearby whose owners saw the kids running away and gave a good description to the police so, hopefully, they'll be caught.

Sad news Carl. I know you put a lot of hard work into her. You must be gutted. You must have plenty of good memories of your time onboard and thats one thing the little sods can never take from you.

Good luck with your next project and and may it be just as enjoyable.

Reading the forum over the past six months, it is obvious that Carl is into historic boats and in some way obtains them? Intending to preserve or restore them.

Could you explain what is meant when you say you are looking for someone to take on the boats, apart from the obvious requirement for someone to have a mooring what do these boats require to be anything other than a floating financial drain. I don’t wish to pry but I am intrigued that in today’s world of “buy one get one free” you are stuck with two boats looking for a good home.

Thanks in anticipation

Just go back on to the forum after a long weekend.

What awful news. How sad, after all your work. How sad to think of the loss of an historic boat.

Nick

Edited by Theo