Swapping from red diesel to HVO fuel

Bosley Dave

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Would that be the inlet control valve? If you can get to significant hours it wants some of the expensive bits taken apart and inspected under a microscope. Interesting stuff. If it's having problems compensating for lower viscosity, have you considered lowering the supply pressure?

Lowering the supply pressure probably wouldn't go down very well with the operators of the vessels concerned! Your suggestion re the inlet control valve is as could as any at the moment. We'll get the teccy people onto and have a dialogue going between Volvo, Neste and the vessels' operators,

2 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Would that be the inlet control valve? If you can get to significant hours it wants some of the expensive bits taken apart and inspected under a microscope. Interesting stuff. If it's having problems compensating for lower viscosity, have you considered lowering the supply pressure?

Surely a complete re-map would be necessary.

1 minute ago, tehmarks said:

Are there many boatyards stocking and selling HVO currently? I'd be very willing to change over, but as a continuous cruiser it's not really feasible to buy and store in bulk.

Having established that HVO is not snake oil and that it can more than adequately meet inland boaters demands (be that as a fuel for propulsion or for heating and cooking) IWA are now turning their attention to promoting the fuel more widely across the inland waterways system. Supply usually responds to demand so boaters can make a huge contribution to this exercise by simply asking their suppliers to stock it. At the moment I am only aware of two marinas and one fuel boat that stocks HVO but I suspect several more are in active discussions with the fuel distributers. 

• Greenie 3

13 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Are there many boatyards stocking and selling HVO currently? I'd be very willing to change over, but as a continuous cruiser it's not really feasible to buy and store in bulk.

Most of the nationals will supply it in 205 litre barrels if your fuel tank is big enough to take that much in one fill.  You'll probably need a hand- or electric- barrel pump though - tipping a full 45 gallon barrel into a funnel is hard work!

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

Most of the nationals will supply it in 205 litre barrels if your fuel tank is big enough to take that much in one fill.  You'll probably need a hand- or electric- barrel pump though - tipping a full 45 gallon barrel into a funnel is hard work!

I considered that, but I'm pretty sure my tank is shy of 200L. Been a while since it was filled from empty though, so could easily be wrong! Still, say 140-160L in the tank and 40-60L in jerry cans would work. But it's a shame that having it trucked is obviously less economical overall than being able to buy it canal-side.

16 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

But will they?

DMR occasionally posts that when he enquired about buying some HVO, they wanted all manner of things before they would open an account, including a site visit in advance from one of their staff to ascertain suitability of his site address for the delivery.  🤔

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

But will they?

DMR occasionally posts that when he enquired about buying some HVO, they wanted all manner of things before they would open an account, including a site visit in advance from one of their staff to ascertain suitability of his site address for the delivery.  🤔

My experience in Central Scotland is that I ordered a 1000 litre IBC one day and it arrived on a four wheel, pallet delivery lorry by midday the next. The only paperwork was a declaration that I was not going to use it in a road-going vehicle which I understand is standard for the first delivery of gas oil from a company.

The nationwide availability of HVO is almost entirely down to Crown Oil partnering with other fuel distribution companies (GBF is pretty much limited to supplying the Home Counties) and the fact they also own a couple of other fuel companies in England. For instance in Scotland there are, I believe, four companies that I could now buy HVO from in bulk and they are all supplied by Crown who in turn buy from Neste in Rotterdam. 

There have been instances in the past, in relation to gas oil deliveries into boats, where the fuel is ordered from, say, Crown at their Bury HQ, but as the boat is some way away, Crown have passed the order onto one of their agents (or participating companies if you like). It is they that introduce all these additional stipulations which Crown would agree is just them being arsy. If this happens Crown would like to be made aware of it so that they can address the issue.

Over the 22 years I've lived on and operated my all diesel boat, I have lost count of the number of bankside deliveries I have had into her 700 litre tanks, all over the UK, but never once have I had an issue and it was only for my Crown HVO delivery a year ago that I completed any paperwork (apart from taking the delivery note off the driver – which hardly counts!).

• Greenie 1

I spoke to Crown and they seemed very willing to delivery directly themselves. They told me they would do a bulk delivery of anything over 500l - they have small tankers, and the delivery hoses are about 100’ long. For me that would work - I can move the boat near enough to a car park, and I could take up to 1000l if I get both tanks empty. 

17 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

I spoke to Crown and they seemed very willing to delivery directly themselves. They told me they would do a bulk delivery of anything over 500l - they have small tankers, and the delivery hoses are about 100’ long. For me that would work - I can move the boat near enough to a car park, and I could take up to 1000l if I get both tanks empty. 

If that's the Home Counties it will almost certainly be Speedy Fuels who are Crown's 'presence' in the London area and supply about 50% of the commercial craft on the Thames. Cory, who handle the waste containers by barge, is their latest recruit. You should talk to Green Biofuels Ltd as well so you have the full picture and look at their claims that revolve around their organic additive. They deliver in a similar area and were keen to provide fuel to the recent Worcester Festival of Water in drums and 20 litre fuel boxes.

On 13/09/2021 at 11:25, Tracy D'arth said:

Get a respirator, the exhaust will stink of chips.

Is it not better  to have reduced CO2 and particulates ?  I don't think the exhaust will smell of chips.

• 1 month later...

I have suggested to the IWA that what boaters need is an up-to-date and constantly updated online directory of waterway-based HVO suppliers.  Yes, of course we can ask boatyards to supply HVO when we are filling up but, if they don't have it and the next yard does have it, they probably won't tell us and we may never know that there was a supplier within easy range.  So, a combination of knowing where it is and asking for it even when they don't have it MAY have some effect in increasing the waterside supply – without having to buy in 205-litre barrels or 1000-litre IBCs ourselves!

• Greenie 1

On 14/09/2021 at 11:47, Up-Side-Down said:

My experience in Central Scotland is that I ordered a 1000 litre IBC one day and it arrived on a four wheel, pallet delivery lorry by midday the next. The only paperwork was a declaration that I was not going to use it in a road-going vehicle which I understand is standard for the first delivery of gas oil from a company.

How does the payment of propulsion duty / domestic duty work with them ?

Do they ask for a declaration ?
Do you make a declaration ?

My understanding is that to supply to boats the supplier had to be registered differently to (say) a supplier of Red / HVO to an agricultural user.

My supplier, at home. of Red  (for use with tractors and digger) reckons he cannot supply for boat use as he has the 'wronmg licence' from HMRCE as he doesn't need declarations from his customers (except to say it will not be used by road vehicles)

11 minutes ago, Dave Taylor said:

I have suggested to the IWA that what boaters need is an up-to-date and constantly updated online directory of waterway-based HVO suppliers.  Yes, of course we can ask boatyards to supply HVO when we are filling up but, if they don't have it and the next yard does have it, they probably won't tell us and we may never know that there was a supplier within easy range.  So, a combination of knowing where it is and asking for it even when they don't have it MAY have some effect in increasing the waterside supply – without having to buy in 205-litre barrels or 1000-litre IBCs ourselves!

A friend and I have had 2000 litres of HVO half for the boats  and the white for our cars/campervan, we are both well pleased with it, in my boat its for a genny and bubble stove my mate uses it for drive and his genny. 

The white HVO is used in relatively modern turbo diesels with no issues, the smell in all cases is much better than diesel and smoke in non existent 

• Greenie 1

We have recently returned from a trip out with a tank consisting of roughly 60% HVO. 

Our Beta engine ran normally, as did our Webasto. One item which seems more intolerant of fuel difference,  our Refleks stove, glowed merrily. So on the whole,  impressed. Topping up with red diesel whilst on the south Oxford, saw no noticeable difference. 

2 hours ago, Dave Taylor said:

And it helps if boaters are knowledgeable as many suppliers still don't know what HVO is.

I still haven’t got my head around how duty works for HVO. For tanker delivery, Crown told me 1000l or more would be 79p/l and 500l or more would be 84p - and that 5% VAT was the only tax to add. Does that sound too good to be true? It would cost me no more than I’ve ever paid for red diesel on the Thames. 

• Angry 1

8 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

I still haven’t got my head around how duty works for HVO. For tanker delivery, Crown told me 1000l or more would be 79p/l and 500l or more would be 84p - and that 5% VAT was the only tax to add. Does that sound too good to be true? It would cost me no more than I’ve ever paid for red diesel on the Thames. 

Not really we paid. 79 all in for ours  the red that is