narrow boat/ canal boat mag

colin1325

Featured Posts

hi does anyone know what mags are out there for someone wanting to read and find put more about wahts going on i have already purchased a mag called "canal boat" colin

They were all pretty rubbish, but Waterways World has improved loads, of late, to the point where I have reserved a copy with the local newsagents. Canal Boat is the best of the rest. Towpath Talk is marginally better than Canal and River (or whatever they call it this month) because it isn't glossy, so is more absorbent in the smallest room.

hi does anyone know what mags are out there for someone wanting to read and find put more about wahts going on i have already purchased a mag called "canal boat" colin

canal boat is definitely the best!!!! :cheers:

This forum.

It's more dynamic, informative, interesting and entertaining. It's free and you get to join in writing the "Articles".

Anyway we've got Tony Collins and Mortimer Bones, why else would you want to read a mag?

Plus for every full page advertisement telling you why you need this bit of electronic wizardry in the mags, we've got a page of electronic wizards telling you you don't! Which is cheaper!!

Canal Boat especially next (Dec) months :lol::cheers: no seriously both Canal Boat and Waterways World have improved beyond recognition in the last couple of years but this forum is great if you cut through all the c... and personal animosity although the two main protagonists appear not to have been around for a while. Perhaps this will smoke them out - I have two knackered car batteries that I use to run a fridge and a freezer and I have a Sterling inverter/charger which seems not to work and it get hot and my boat is a Springer with its original wiring and ..... What do I do? ps I have got no money. :cheers:

Canal Boat especially next (Dec) months :lol::cheers: no seriously both Canal Boat and Waterways World have improved beyond recognition in the last couple of years but this forum is great if you cut through all the c... and personal animosity although the two main protagonists appear not to have been around for a while. Perhaps this will smoke them out - I have two knackered car batteries that I use to run a fridge and a freezer and I have a Sterling inverter/charger which seems not to work and it get hot and my boat is a Springer with its original wiring and ..... What do I do? ps I have got no money. :cheers:

AAAAAAAAAAAAArgh not another livaboard in a springer r u???? :cheers: Think I'm going soft in my old age cus I'm actually warming to livaboards. Got quite a few now who r friends (dont tell the others on here tho)

Anyway we've got Tony Collins and Mortimer Bones, why else would you want to read a mag?

For those who don't know what he is talking about, nip into the Library and have a look at the November issue of Canal & Rivers. (Page 27)

Bones of course is a regular coumnist in Canal Boat

Just borrowed a copy from our marina, they've got a nice little lending library, great idea.

Had a quick look, don't know which one it was but too many adverts for shiny new boats and nothing on how to mend anything. I guess tips on toilets don't pay advertising like glossy sales pics.

Bloody sauce - now I know I have been wasting my time for the past couple of years if you can not even find the "how to mend part".

Seriously before I started writing for CB I tended to take both CB & WW. Waterways Worlds seems to be a bit more international in content and possibly a little more into waterways as opposed to boats. CB is all but parochial but seems to me to be more about boats and boaters. Even if I did not get one comp copy I would still take both. Pity WW seems to think my name is Brown or some such - even though they managed to debit my credit card in the correct name!

Tony Brooks

• 2 weeks later...
Bloody sauce - now I know I have been wasting my time for the past couple of years if you can not even find the "how to mend part".

Seriously before I started writing for CB I tended to take both CB & WW. Waterways Worlds seems to be a bit more international in content and possibly a little more into waterways as opposed to boats. CB is all but parochial but seems to me to be more about boats and boaters. Even if I did not get one comp copy I would still take both. Pity WW seems to think my name is Brown or some such - even though they managed to debit my credit card in the correct name!

Tony Brooks

Its the ADS they have the same ones in all the mags and the actual story/article content is so small i dont bother buying them anymore,the Towpath will keep me up to date on who,s won the Robin Hood award this month ,(how to fleece boaters)

Canal Boat does it for me - on subscription (usually a fat discount offered for 6 mo or a yr in the winter — I think it was 50% off last time). For the other mags I do the flip test: if there are three things I really want to read I'll buy it, otherwise it's read in the WHS reading room.

Jim

Its the ADS they have the same ones in all the mags and the actual story/article content is so small i dont bother buying them anymore,the Towpath will keep me up to date on who,s won the Robin Hood award this month ,(how to fleece boaters)

There's a Rosie & Jim magazine, if you're struggling with the big words, Redfarce.