Llangollen canal help and handy hints required

jumps

Featured Posts

Hi, I was looking for help / hints on a couple of things in regards, to the Llangollen canal. 

• Has anyone got a list of water stops. I am checking maps / apps but looking for current 2021 stops
  • Has anyone got a list of grocery stops near canal. Either a little local one or larger store. 

Thanks in advance. 

jumps

• Greenie 1

Water

Hurlston,  not sure if it's still open

Grindly brook top

Ellesmere

New Martin top lock

Ffron nr the aqueduct 

Llangollen, lots

Shops 

Whitchurch 

Ellesmere 

Stans supermarket, moor at New Martin top and shortish walk across the fields

Ellesmere, Tesco plus good pubs and local shops

Chirk. Small supermarket and local shops

Llangollen small supermarket and local shops

• Greenie 1

For water You would hope the CRT online map would be close.  If you have not already get a guide book like a Nicholson’s which will show facilities amongst other things, get one!

For shops etc Google maps is your best resource.

• Greenie 1

We've just spent 7 weeks travelling back and forth between Nantwich and Llangollen Basin.

Water IS available at the top of Hurleston locks but no eslan /loo as they have been broken for a few years now.

Next water is Swanley Marina (but you have to spend a fiver to get free water) pump out and diesel at the side of the main line easy to use.

Top of Grindley Brook for water, elsan bins and showers - NOTE ...  Dont start the bottom 3 locks until you have sent someone up to tell the lock keeper at the bottom of the staircase there are boats waiting to come up or it gets bottle-necked ... cause they only manage the staircase and keep sending boats  down into already full pounds.

Next tap is at Bettisfield just before bridge 48 - bins down the hillside.

Ellesemere has water (3 taps I think) , a loo, elsan and bins. - shop wise, down the arm tesco.

Next tap is New Marton (bridge 12) but get there EARLY on morning as queues coming DOWN stream (clog up the taps) from lunchtime onwards.

If you stop near the poachers pub there is a Sainsbury's IN dobbies garden centre or a few hundred yards further down the road, an M & S at a garage...

Longer walks in Chirk (after the tunnel) will reveal a Sainsbury's and spar.

Next tap is before the Ponty (needed molegrips) and then the final set for elsan is on the approach to Llangollen after Trevor.  

Dont expect to turn up at a pub for a meal without booking a couple of days ahead...  

Lions Quay (dodgy pontoons) is nice but dear...

The poachers is ok but often cancels due to technical issues.

The Bridge Inn ok

In Llangollen you are pretty much either in the Cornmill (nice, but booked up and expensive) - Deeside cafe (cash only) but often walk in or the Italian place (Fauzois?)

'hope that helps.

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, jumps said:

Hello to people who responded. 

Was looking for a way to thank you all personally but not sure how. Really appreciate the info. 

jumps

Thank the forum by telling us how your trip went, when you get back.  All too often, new people come on here, ask a load of questions and then disappear.  You might be able to give the most up-to-date info on water stops, pubs etc.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What Dora said :)

enjoy the trip the Llan is lovely 

Especially the aqueduct -- make sure you have a *good* look over the side... ?

[rain is non-optional...]

llangollen.JPG

Edited by IanD

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I've been over that aqueduct 6 times.  Every time it was sunny.

2 out of 2 rainy for me ?

There's a reason Wales is so green and verdant...

Edited by IanD

58 minutes ago, IanD said:

But if that really freaks you out, you can put the bows into the start of the aqueduct trough, leave the engine in gear, and hide in the cabin until you get to the other end.

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But if that really freaks you out, you can put the bows into the start of the aqueduct trough, leave the engine in gear, and hide in the cabin until you get to the other end.

That's how my first trip over the aqueduct was done as my dad had terrible vertigo so we all sat inside whilst the boat gently bumped it's way across.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

It's best to sit on the roof whilst doing that, it gives the tourists something to photograph, or walk alongside with the centre line telling them your "taking it for a walk" ;)

3 hours ago, IanD said:

[rain is non-optional...]

llangollen.JPG

But please don’t do what my crew did on the way upstream: he’s an ex yachtsman and asked to borrow my camera and stood on the roof of the boat and took pictures as I steered us across the aqueduct. I didn’t dare let the boat touch the sides of the trough! It really is a long way down.

• Horror 1

When we crossed the aqueduct recently it brought to mind a scary experience we had many years ago on a hire boat. The dog we had at that time considered it her duty to keep the canal duck free and the best way to do this was to stand on the bows (there was no cratch) on top of the mooring rope and bark at any ducks who had the temerity to be in the canal. We were crossing the aqueduct when we realised that she was on duck patrol and we decided it was best not to do or say anything to her in case she turned and lost her footing . 

I must have been braver then as I was on the cruiser stern . Now I hide inside "keeping an eye on the dog "

Haggis

15 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

But please don’t do what my crew did on the way upstream: he’s an ex yachtsman and asked to borrow my camera and stood on the roof of the boat and took pictures as I steered us across the aqueduct. I didn’t dare let the boat touch the sides of the trough! It really is a long way down.

At least when I took that picture (leaning out sideways) I had a *very* firm grip on the handrail...

30 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

A very keen photographer friend of mine stood on the offside gunnel and took photos, over time ihad got very relaxed about crossing but that went a bit far :)

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

A very keen photographer friend of mine stood on the offside gunnel and took photos, over time ihad got very relaxed about crossing but that went a bit far :)

That’s like, I think it was Julia Bradbury, going across stood on the gunnel at the stern, on one leg and holding on with one hand, leaning out and looking down. I found watching the film almost painful.

3 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

That’s like, I think it was Julia Bradbury, going across stood on the gunnel at the stern, on one leg and holding on with one hand, leaning out and looking down. I found watching the film almost painful.

I spoke to Jones the boat after that and he was quite frankly carking himself, it wasn't planned at all, plus apparently she was pregnant at the time :)