Freedom!

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

The chancellor found enough time and attention to attempt to push through a change in the opposite direction. I don't think he's on our side. Do you?

MP.

Not being a close follower of politics, I don't know.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

I heard recently that McDonalds fries sold in UK and Europe have only 4 ingredients, whereas those sold in the US have 19, many of which are banned in Europe. Anyone for chlorinated chicken?

And are any of them potato?

:unsure:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bee said:

How anybody can still think we have gained anything from the brexit fraud is a mystery.

Somebody, somewhere, has gained from the Brexit fraud...... Someone spent millions and much effort conning people, who knew no better, to vote for it.

There are some here who were taken in by it, evidenced by the fact that they can provide no benefits or opportunities of it. Instead, they try to defend the debacle, or tell us we will have to wait, for some imaginary stuff in the future. Some just tell us that they won and we need to get over it, and that is all they have.

There may be some here who know exactly what someone has gained from the Brexit Fraud, but they definitely don't want to tell us what it is.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

As you say, there has been some progress. But, to be fair, the country has been preoccupied with conquering the corona virus over the last year or so, so other matters have assumed a lower priority - in which case, we should be grateful for the change in the red diesel regulations., or rather the rescinding of their impending change.

Given that the EU would have happily extended the transition period under the circumstances, the fact that Boris had to "Get Brexit Done", and made it a top priority, gives the lie to your suggestion. It seems that it was critical to him to do a deal, no matter how bad, that ended transition on 1/1/21.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Potato, vegetable oil, dextrose and salt apparently. Although I'm not sure what the dextrose (i.e sugar) is for.

It's too maintain the contribution of fries to the same obesity levels of the rest of their output.?

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Somebody, somewhere, has gained from the Brexit fraud...... Someone spent millions and much effort conning people, who knew no better, to vote for it.

There are some here who were taken in by it, evidenced by the fact that they can provide no benefits or opportunities of it. Instead, they try to defend the debacle, or tell us we will have to wait, for some imaginary stuff in the future. Some just tell us that they won and we need to get over it, and that is all they have.

Apart from the vaccines, and others will follow.

There may be some here who know exactly what someone has gained from the Brexit Fraud, but they definitely don't want to tell us what it is.

Given that the EU would have happily extended the transition period under the circumstances, the fact that Boris had to "Get Brexit Done", and made it a top priority, gives the lie to your suggestion. It seems that it was critical to him to do a deal, no matter how bad, that ended transition on 1/1/21.

Of course they would have extended the transition period ad infinitum. They would be taking the money, we would be taking the rules with no input or say.

Get over it.

Expand the thread to see my full reply.

Edited by Ex Brummie

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

It's too maintain the contribution of fries to the same obesity levels of the rest of their output.?

Expand the thread to see my full reply.

You cleverly made it so I couldn't quote your "full" reply. I wonder why you did that? :(  You didn't do the same with your response to the chips thing, so it would seem deliberate. Not that it matters:

We could have done exactly what we did on the vaccine front even if we had still been full members of the EU, and you know it.

Now that we are properly out of the EU, we are truly rule takers, with absolutely no input to them. Even Alan, (de Enfield), agrees with this, these days ;) 

What have you gained from Brexit so far, and what are you expecting to gain in the future?

I am genuinely interested, because nobody has been able to provide a cogent answer to this, although some would say that they have done so previously, and wont do so again.

Edited by Richard10002
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You cleverly made it so I couldn't quote your "full" reply. I wonder why you did that? 

Ever heard of quotation marks? Cut and paste? Doesn't take much to fox you.  

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You cleverly made it so I couldn't quote your "full" reply. I wonder why you did that? :(  You didn't do the same with your response to the chips thing, so it would seem deliberate. Not that it matters:

It was the Forum that merged my reply which is why I edited it to ask people to expand it; nothing deliberate in my actions, in fact explaining it separately suggests I did not want to hide anything.

Just now, Ex Brummie said:

It was the Forum that merged my reply which is why I edited it to ask people to expand it; nothing deliberate in my actions, in fact explaining it separately suggests I did not want to hide anything.

Don't worry. He's the human form of a brick wall. 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

If you recall, boaters used to be able to use red diesel for everything, the self-declaration, pay more for propulsion, less for heating, arrangement was brought in at the behest of the EU, or at least to attempt to conform with EU law. I was expecting our newly-freed government to take us back to the status-quo ante on this. Also to remove the prohibition on  vintage engines in new boats, and the general  one-size-fits all construction rules which don't sit well on English vernacular narrowboats. In fact I expected those changes to be just a small subset of all the "quick wins" we were  assured would happen once we were freed from evil Brussels rule.

Ah well, at least they've stopped immigration. Well, apart from 3 million Hong-King Chinese, and however many visas for Indians they're exchanging for the new trade agreement to replace the EIU-India agreement.

MP.

MP.

MP red diesel is being banned on building sites its a method of forcing them to go green, same for us rules are in place to get rid of diesel boats like it or not. Why should a vintage engine be fitted in a new boat? Answer no reason at all when cleaner engines are available and electric if you want to go that way can be used as well. If the steps being taken worldwide to combat global warming dont work expect draconian steps to be brought in which might ruin our boating world, like no diesel at all quickly.

I am using full bio diesel in my bubble stove and genny in an attempt to clean up my act, and I use well seasoned wood in the Rayburn most of the time, trouble is then its particulate matter.

As for Hong Kong we gave them British passports when I was there in 96 most were scared of the Chinese takeover with good reason it turns out, India again a country we occupied recently, a lot of them speak English and if they want to come here to work so be it. But remember they will have to meet the criteria to work here unlike the stupid EU rules where any dross can go anywhere and claim benefits for life!!

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Why should a vintage engine be fitted in a new boat?

As with any fixtures and fittings in a house or boat, because some people like them.

12 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Something of a formidable batsman? 

Yes, nicknamed "The Wall", hence my comment.

44 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I only said that it appeared deliberate, and did say that it didn't matter.

Anyway, I see that you are another who avoids the question, so we still don't have an answer.

26 minutes ago, peterboat said:

MP red diesel is being banned on building sites its a method of forcing them to go green,

Peter... you will recall that when I/we asked what were the benefits of leaving the EU, one of the 3 reasons given was red diesel. Now you are saying that that particular benefit was bollox..... Crikey - you jokers beggar belief!!

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But however much you want something if it illegal (as is a vintage engine in a new boat) you cannot have it.

But Peter's comment was about preference, not legality; he followed it by "Answer: no reason at all", which is what Iwas answering. I should have quoted that part of his post too.

I've never regretted choosing a Gardner engine for 'Trojan'. I believe that it is still possible to fit a vintage engine in a new boat, as there was one advertised for sale recently with (from memory) a 3LW. It's something to do with it being a "replica" of a historic boat, as far as I can gather. 

1 minute ago, Athy said:

It's something to do with it being a "replica" of a historic boat, as far as I can gather. 

Yes it has to be an exact replica using the original materials, for example building a replica wooden boat out of GRP or Steel would not qualify.

• Greenie 2

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But however much you want something if it illegal (as is a vintage engine in a new boat) you cannot have it.

True but not complete.  I'm sure you know the actual rule.

Edit: Hah.  And you have proved it by posting it seconds before my post!

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes it has to be an exact replica using the original materials, for example building a replica wooden boat out of GRP or Steel would not qualify.

....though, judging by the one I saw advertised (a Brinklow build I think) you are allowed to add a full-length cabin!

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

True but not complete.  I'm sure you know the actual rule.

RCD Exemption ............... original, and individual replica of a historical craft designed before 1950, built predominantly with the original materials and labelled as such by the manufacturer

• Greenie 1