Adhesive for brass

Featured Posts

OK I have done several pages of searching for adhesive, glue, stick and can't find what I want. I have some very thin brass trip bent to an angle  that I want glue in the bottom of my side hatches to stop water laying against the joint  between the steel and wood frame. I would like to use something I can buy and take with me rather than hunting out a chandlers, maybe screwfix or toolstation. The brass shouldn't be exposed to any load as the side hatch doors will close overtop of it.

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK I have done several pages of searching for adhesive, glue, stick and can't find what I want. I have some very thin brass trip bent to an angle  that I want glue in the bottom of my side hatches to stop water laying against the joint  between the steel and wood frame. I would like to use something I can buy and take with me rather than hunting out a chandlers, maybe screwfix or toolstation. The brass shouldn't be exposed to any load as the side hatch doors will close overtop of it.

Araldite?

• Greenie 2

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Stixall? Doesn't mind damp, over paintable if ever required and would provide a barrier between dissimilar metals if that's a factor. "Stuff to a blanket" comes to mind...

That's what I used to stick some brass strip to the underside of my sliding hatch. Abrade the brass and whatever it's being stuck to and wipe it clean first.

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Toolstation stock it but their stock lists for black suggest it might be in a bit if short supply. None in the nearest toe branches to me so had to drive across Reading to another branch.

Found it in a little hardware shop in Oulton Broad, rang them this morning and will pick some up this afternoon

• 1 year later...

Found this thread and resurrecting.

Just needed to remove the port hole cover inside. It’s been stuck in three places with a solid very hard set adhesive that has done the job for many years, possibly 15 or 20. The blue colour would be from the brass. 

It needs to come off occasionally and since this adhesive has worked well and when needing to come off came away readily I want to use the same again. 

would this be tile adhesive or anyone have any other idea what it is. It’s not at all flexible like silicon. 

32EEE349-8491-447A-A146-DEF11341AF02.jpeg.4c86cf3422c1b758f5574a8d4c75a086.jpeg

7E407B5C-0F26-42D4-8727-6583AA0881FE.jpeg.21958db5f6de015433c723a531416a55.jpeg

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Look similar to 5 minute EVO polyurethane foaming wood glue, brilliant stuff, sticks to anything. ( except polythene which nothing glues ) 

So what is the stuff on one side of polythene repair tape - used it to repair polytunnels for years?