Sailor seeks work on the Canals.

SaraCanal

Featured Posts

Hey,

I am looking for work on the canals. I have Manilla Basic Safety, and security education - training recognised by the UN. I also have education in marine paints having worked in testing and quality assurance of International marine / industrial paints, further i have applied paints and made them onsite in a dry dock when volunteering with traditional boats/ships using the experiance in boat building i gained in sweden.  I am moving back to the uk in less than amonth and need a job and accomidation.

I would like to work on the canals, i have a dream of running coffee and other bulk goods from different roasteries to cafes and so on, but thats for the future just now i need experiance on inland waterways. thus I need a job. im happy to consider anything.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

I would like to work on the canals, i have a dream of running coffee and other bulk goods from different roasteries to cafes and so on, but thats for the future

You're about 70 years late with that career plan, sorry.  The only commercial canal coffee boats I know of sell it directly to the public a cup at a time.  They also sell small bags/jars of coffee for taking home, but it's certainly not bulk carrying.

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Careful there, you could just end up with a job blacking boats, the real rear end job on the canals.

i'm comfy doing that i just need food and a little money i have no ambitions of being a millionare. Fair pay for fair work, nothing more.

19 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You're about 70 years late with that career plan, sorry.  The only commercial canal coffee boats I know of sell it directly to the public a cup at a time.  They also sell small bags/jars of coffee for taking home, but it's certainly not bulk carrying.

Yeah but i think theres a small market for it; owing to the need to be carbon negitive by 2035 or earlier; a narrow boat can carry 55 tons (roughly) ad a widebean can carry twice that whereas a HGV can only carry 44. Theres growing calls for restrictions on HGV's in towns due in part to the appauling air quality, and risk to vulerable road users (bikes and kids). i know the last mile could be an issue though.

I belive it is possible for a non express bulky freight market market to grow. Theres a company that sails, coffee coccoa, and rum etc from south america/carbean to europe using traditional boats no engine; its the best of the best. I think a product with a story would sell. the coffee culture is really strong in the uk.
I agree the market is limited at present and will never fully return to the past though which is good for me. I havent done the maths and so on but i figure a run from bristol to london on a broadbeam boat could work. for a number of reasons as mentioned above among others.

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Careful there, you could just end up with a job blacking boats, the real rear end job on the canals.

But still much better than ANY office job old sport!!

9 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

a narrow boat can carry 55 tons (roughly) ad a widebean can carry twice that whereas a HGV can only carry 44. [...]

I havent done the maths and so on but i figure a run from bristol to london on a broadbeam boat could work. for a number of reasons

I wish you the best of luck with your plan.

I'd love to see a widebeam regularly transporting 110 tons of bulk coffee along the K&A.

@fanshaft is involved in commercial carrying, he may be able to share a few thoughts.

Edited by TheBiscuits
clarity

7 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

a widebean

The ideal vessel for carrying coffee!

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find something. Have you thought of approaching the various hire fleets such as ABC, Black Prince, Napton Narrowboats or Ashby Boats?

1 minute ago, Athy said:

The ideal vessel for carrying coffee!

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you find something. Have you thought of approaching the various hire fleets such as ABC, Black Prince, Napton Narrowboats or Ashby Boats?

no, I am an ocean going sailor, those are new to me. I have googled a few marinas and i emailed Jules Fuels - thats about it so far. I'll give them a shot :)

thank you

22 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

Yeah but i think theres a small market for it; owing to the need to be carbon negitive by 2035 or earlier; a narrow boat can carry 55 tons (roughly) ad a widebean can carry twice that whereas a HGV can only carry 44. Theres growing calls for restrictions on HGV's in towns due in part to the appauling air quality, and risk to vulerable road users (bikes and kids). i know the last mile could be an issue though.

I belive it is possible for a non express bulky freight market market to grow. Theres a company that sails, coffee coccoa, and rum etc from south america/carbean to europe using traditional boats no engine; its the best of the best. I think a product with a story would sell. the coffee culture is really strong in the uk.
I agree the market is limited at present and will never fully return to the past though which is good for me. I havent done the maths and so on but i figure a run from bristol to london on a broadbeam boat could work. for a number of reasons as mentioned above among others.

Just one practical thought that might influence your direction on this issue. You have to remember that the canals are not in such a good state as they were in the real carrying days so the thoughts of a 55 ton laden narrow boat making it round a lot of the system is possibly a bit optimistic. I haven't boated on the UK canals for many years now but, from what I read on here, the system is slowly deteriorating on the dredging front and not getting better.

Roger

Edited to add: Tony beat me to it ?

Edited by Albion

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I suspect your 55 tons may no longer be true now most canals have silted up.

true, im sure that if i can prove my case with the CART/CRT for one route then we can agree on how much to carry -and i would always push for more tonnage

It's a nice idea, the only commercial work I am aware of is fuel, and gravel, from Goole Docks to Leeds, currently that is suspended due to breach in the canal.

Difficult to think of an active job with accomodation to be honest.

1 hour ago, SaraCanal said:

Hey,

I am looking for work on the canals. I have Manilla Basic Safety, and security education - training recognised by the UN. I also have education in marine paints having worked in testing and quality assurance of International marine / industrial paints, further i have applied paints and made them onsite in a dry dock when volunteering with traditional boats/ships using the experiance in boat building i gained in sweden.  I am moving back to the uk in less than amonth and need a job and accomidation.

I would like to work on the canals, i have a dream of running coffee and other bulk goods from different roasteries to cafes and so on, but thats for the future just now i need experiance on inland waterways. thus I need a job. im happy to consider anything.

We are coming up to what hopefully will be a very busy hire boat season. There are plenty of yards that may be able to offer work turning the boats around and helping with handovers Not glamorous work but it gets you on the canals.

Just now, LadyG said:

It's a nice idea, the only commercial work I am aware of is fuel, and gravel, from Goole Docks to Leeds, currently that is suspended due to breach in the canal.

Difficult to think of an active job with accomodation to be honest.

any job for 6months with food an accomidation would be welcome

10 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

any job for 6months with food an accomidation would be welcome

Food and accommodation?

I think you may be wishing a little there, especially in the current climate.

Maybe seasonal hire fleet washing/cleaning/turning around of the boats. Maybe a little different then your offshore setups that your used to. Food and accommodation ?

2 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Food and accommodation?

I think you may be wishing a little there, especially in the current climate.

Maybe seasonal hire fleet washing/cleaning/turning around of the boats. Maybe a little different then your offshore setups that your used to. Food and accommodation ?

i said nothing about pay. though i'd be ok with pay in leu of that

13 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

No longer allowed.the Truck acts outlawed it centuries ago.

You have to be accountable, paid the minimum wage, pay tax and national insurance. In this civilised country you can't just do what you want to do, conform old boy or they will have you out.

Are you legally allowed to work in the UK? You may not be!

1 hour ago, SaraCanal said:

You would be leaving yourself wide open to exploitation, as the above said there are employment laws that have to be adhered too.

I think most of the stuff your hoping for is maybe just a pipe dream, especially the coffee haulage bit. I think there will be enough electric haulage vehicles on the road by 2035 to cover most things environmentally with the speed they are developing Elect Vehicles.
 Also most of the loading/unloading Wharfs are long gone, making getting goods to and from boats more difficult.

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, SaraCanal said:

i'm comfy doing that i just need food and a little money i have no ambitions of being a millionare. Fair pay for fair work, nothing more.

You need to do a bit more research. A full length (70 foot) boat will sink by about an inch per ton of loading. You can confirm this with a simple calculation based on Archimedes stuff. A 3 foot deep boat will struggle on a lot of canals. Canals are now primarily for leisure, maybe you could think of a way of combining the two, a sort of cargo carrying hotel pair experience???

................Dave

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No longer allowed.the Truck acts outlawed it centuries ago.

You have to be accountable, paid the minimum wage, pay tax and national insurance. In this civilised country you can't just do what you want to do, conform old boy or they will have you out.

Are you legally allowed to work in the UK? You may not be!

I am a british citizen.  i know the government has a streak of the fascist about it but im sure you havent banned brits from wotking in britain; yet at least.

42 minutes ago, SaraCanal said:

I am a british citizen.  i know the government has a streak of the fascist about it but im sure you havent banned brits from wotking in britain; yet at least.

Theyve been paying them NOT to work for the last 12 months.?