Jump to content

November Lockdown (Two threads merged)


Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Problem being that closing schools loses masses of staff from hospitals, its a tough one.

Teachers have been reclassified as childminders. But they can't put learning online as last week the government reneged on the promises they'd made to schools to provide laptops for kids without them, cutting the promised provision by 80%.

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, PhilR said:

 When the teacher tests positive the whole class is sent home to isolate. 

I don’t think anymore.  Daughter is a teacher and they have given up on all the bubble and isolation stuff, as there would be no kids in school.  It’s only the kid next to the one that has to go home.  Most of the teachers have had it by now anyway.  For me schools (and the after school behaviour of thekids) are the big issue and the reason we are where we are, but is closing them right, I don’t know.

  • Greenie 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I don’t think anymore.  Daughter is a teacher and they have given up on all the bubble and isolation stuff, as there would be no kids in school.  It’s only the kid next to the one that has to go home.  Most of the teachers have had it by now anyway.  For me schools (and the after school behaviour of thekids) are the big issue and the reason we are where we are, but is closing them right, I don’t know.

A lot of the problem at the moment seems to be that nobody understands the rules anymore. The "rules" seem to change daily and even the politicians and "experts" don't appear to agree? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Teachers have been reclassified as childminders. But they can't put learning online as last week the government reneged on the promises they'd made to schools to provide laptops for kids without them, cutting the promised provision by 80%.

ts an impossible situation for anyone. Take kids out of school and someone has to look after them if they are young. Pleased I am retired. I suppose teachers get full pay if they go in or not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Might be too late for shopping, been to Sainsbury's this afternoon and it was manic with shelves rapidly emptying.

I have my Tesco delivery arriving tomorrow and wonder how many items will be substituted or deleted. Their best substitution so far was WD40 substituted with fuel conditioner (it's the only one I've ever sent back.) Was going down to the boat on Monday for a week or so but now it looks like a flying visit on Monday to double check that it's sound for a few months of neglect. 

4 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

Sod that for a game of soldiers. I sat in a boat, going nowhere, through the first lockdown in solidarity with all the boaters who were stuck in houses and couldn't boat. This time of year they wouldn't be boating anyway so I'm going to continue my progressive journey around the system, making essential journeys to the next set of facilities each time.

 

MP.

 

Pretty anti-social

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

ts an impossible situation for anyone. Take kids out of school and someone has to look after them if they are young. Pleased I am retired. I suppose teachers get full pay if they go in or not?

Teachers have worked hard right through this doing lessons on line, and at least for 5he older secondary kids that to me works well enough in the circumstances 

 

10 minutes ago, PhilR said:

A lot of the problem at the moment seems to be that nobody understands the rules anymore. The "rules" seem to change daily and even the politicians and "experts" don't appear to agree? 

I think the I don’t understand is just end excuse, lots of people seem to be using that and it is frankly pathetic.  If you want to behave sensibility it is not exactly hard, but people choose to just carry on as they want to.

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

 Hopefully school kids will have achieved herd immunity before too long

Without a vaccine is herd immunity even possible?    From what I have read 5 to 7 months is the maximum immunity is likely to last.  Which means if you caught Covid in say mid April you are either now not immune or at the best have weakening immunity which will fail in another month or so.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Teachers have worked hard right through this doing lessons on line, and at least for 5he older secondary kids that to me works well enough in the circumstances 

 

I think the I don’t understand is just end excuse, lots of people seem to be using that and it is frankly pathetic.  If you want to behave sensibility it is not exactly hard, but people choose to just carry on as they want to.

I think most people are behaving sensibly, even if they are confused by the rules. Some of those who "just carry on as they want to" do it regardless of the rules?.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Most of the teachers have had it by now anyway.  

Last week in the area our BBC Tv covers (cumbria ,Northumberland down to the top of Yorkshire there were 700 teachers off with Covid.  Some of thiose who caught it first will nearly have lost their immunity by now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PhilR said:

I think most people are behaving sensibly, even if they are confused by the rules. Some of those who "just carry on as they want to" do it regardless of the rules?.

I agree most do behave sensibility, but too many don’t, at least what I see around me.  Thursday will hopefully bring some clarity, although I don’t relish the prospect of being stuck in the house.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Two lockdown threads have been merged as both notionally deal with what boaters should do over lockdown. Whilst references to government are necessary if you want to go political start you're own thread there. If this one goes political I'll move it to politics (again)

Thankyou, and well done to mooninpaps for going rogue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slim said:

I have my Tesco delivery arriving tomorrow and wonder how many items will be substituted or deleted. Their best substitution so far was WD40 substituted with fuel conditioner (it's the only one I've ever sent back.) Was going down to the boat on Monday for a week or so but now it looks like a flying visit on Monday to double check that it's sound for a few months of neglect. 

Pretty anti-social

I agree with continuous cruising, and have sent an email explaining that I would need to travel on buses in order to get fuel (coal and diesel), and food and medication, thus exposing me to 'the travelling public', on at least twelve occasions, but if I move the boat, in theory, I can have everything delivered.

I will just do what I think best.

The last lockdown resulted ingroups congregating at CRT services , insteadof visiting occasionally, so it had the wrong effect imho.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that no teachers have died so far. Most of them are well under 60 so the risks for them are greatly reduced. They are doing a cracking jonb and I hope that will continue to be the case. We still need people to be able to go to work.

 

I accept that my point of view was flawed in so far as children can be immune but still help to spread the epidemic.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, PhilR said:

I think most people are behaving sensibly, even if they are confused by the rules. Some of those who "just carry on as they want to" do it regardless of the rules?.

You are wrong, they are doing what is easy.

eg the trip to the supermarket is best done by car, then only one person goes in to shop, wearing disposable gloves and face mask, sanitising the trolley and sanitising all food with wipes, then exiting using self service, then loading the car and returning home to watch day time TV, or whatever.

This would mean all shoppers would be single shoppers, and they are not. They have not GOT THE MESSAGE it is people who are spreading the disease, the virus is on the hands of people, so they should not mess about when shopping. Go to supermarket when it is likely to be quiet, sanitise trollley, fill trolley, with packaged food, wipe packaging before puting it in trolley, pay and depart, wipe anything which has been touched before taking it home.

When home wash hands, and stay at home as much as you can.

Repeat once a week.

Edited by LadyG
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

My understanding is that no teachers have died so far. Most of them are well under 60 so the risks for them are greatly reduced. They are doing a cracking jonb and I hope that will continue to be the case. We still need people to be able to go to work.

 

I accept that my point of view was flawed in so far as children can be immune but still help to spread the epidemic.

Maybe your understanding is correct, I don't know. However I do know that my nephews sister -in -law , a teacher, was on a ventilator back in March for 2 weeks + and she's still suffering. She's in her early 40s

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

 The casualities are in line with the general population though. If I wasn't up for it I would  resign

They shouldn't need to!   Employers have a duty in law to protect their employees from harm at work, it's called IIRC a duty of care.

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In normal times I would agree but as the insurance companies have said, these are exceptional times. . I would be suprised if the armed forces offered their employees those terms. We are at war with an invisible enemy. Having said that if someone wanted to dip out I wouldn't think bad of them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Education should only be shut down as an absolute last resort.  Most of the science indicates schools have little to do with the spread.  Coronavirus is completely disrupting their education as it is and the token education my secondary school kids got during last lockdown were powerpoint slides, and very little interaction.  Some teachers dealt with this much better than others but some of them made very little effort (one teacher was working from home but had no internet connection).  The young are the ones least at risk and yet they are the ones likely to be paying for this for many years to come.

 

Universities need to continue, especially those with medical, nursing or allied health professionals students.  The NHS needs the final years to qualify in the summer to replace the staff who retire/resign etc    

Edited by garibaldi
clarity
  • Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Without a vaccine is herd immunity even possible?    From what I have read 5 to 7 months is the maximum immunity is likely to last.  Which means if you caught Covid in say mid April you are either now not immune or at the best have weakening immunity which will fail in another month or so.

Read somewhere that herd immunity is not achievable without a vaccine and for the reason you suggest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, garibaldi said:

.  Most of the science indicates schools have little to do with the spread

None of the science says this, in fact, the government has been relying on this from day 1 of Lockdown 1 end.

Kids spread everything, including Covid. Always have done, always will.

The fact that they are Asymptomatic in the most in the 4 -10 year range, or have mild symptoms only above this to 20 plus is irrelevant, they spread because of their normal behaviour and activity, lack of mature peoples normal social distancing, never mind the Covid19 contrived stuff.

 

  • Greenie 3
  • Unimpressed 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably the best article I have read on whats going to happen in the future.  Of course Politicians wouldn't dare to talk about this.

https://theconversation.com/covid-19-will-probably-become-endemic-heres-what-that-means-146435

 

Malaria kills about 3 million people a year mostly children. Even though a cure is available.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slim said:

I have my Tesco delivery arriving tomorrow and wonder how many items will be substituted or deleted. Their best substitution so far was WD40 substituted with fuel conditioner (it's the only one I've ever sent back.) Was going down to the boat on Monday for a week or so but now it looks like a flying visit on Monday to double check that it's sound for a few months of neglect. 

Pretty anti-social

Did a late shop in the local Tesco's, the locusts had been in earier. So you may find 'Loo' roll replaced with 'sandpaper' or a dish mop.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.