Thinking about first NB. any thoughts on this ?

Norm55

Featured Posts

On 26/10/2020 at 12:59, booke23 said:

I remember reading somewhere they have a limited 'duty cycle', so after 5000 sit downs it's likely to collapse! 

I have never heard that!   I have a porta potti which must be well over 20 years old and well used, it has yet to collapse.

On 27/10/2020 at 08:49, doratheexplorer said:

The whole point of insulation is to stop condensation.  Rockwool does this just as well as sprayfoam, when installed properly.

No. The main function of thermal insulation is to reduce thermal losses or heat transfer. Some types of insulation will also prevent condensation while others like rockwool won't and require an additional vapour barrier which is not part of the insulation. Anyway, preventing condensation is definitely not the whole point of insulation.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

I have never heard of Datum boatbuilders which means nothing, 

Neither has the internet, it would appear: the only references to them I could find were in relation to this boat.

It does not appear to have central heating, though the centrally-situated stove would help to spread heat evenly throughout its length.

10 hours ago, Jerra said:

I have never heard that!   I have a porta potti which must be well over 20 years old and well used, it has yet to collapse.

Just looked it up and Thetford say it’s rated to 6000 ‘cycles’ (sit downs) at 120kg/19 stone user weight.

That’s about 16 and a half years at one sitting a day. Of course if you are lighter than 19 stone you’d expect it to last longer. In any case, as yours is over 20 years old it’s probably built better than the newer models.......planned obsolescence has really taken off these days.    

17 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Just looked it up and Thetford say it’s rated to 6000 ‘cycles’ (sit downs) at 120kg/19 stone user weight.

That’s about 16 and a half years at one sitting a day. Of course if you are lighter than 19 stone you’d expect it to last longer. In any case, as yours is over 20 years old it’s probably built better than the newer models.......planned obsolescence has really taken off these days.    

Interesting.    I wonder if Thetford count two 9st people as one use or two.   That might explain the longevity.

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

Is that 120kg laden or unladen...? Before or after? I think we should be told

? They don’t say. I suppose it doesn’t matter.....because once you become ‘unladen’ while sat on it, the ‘load’ is then sat in the toliet. So the overall load on the toilet remains the same.....albeit better spread out......to what extent depends entirely on what you had for dinner the night before!

27 minutes ago, Athy said:

:clapping:

He had an up-and-down career.

Yeah, I heard it was S***. ?:clapping: 

Edited by booke23
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, blackrose said:

No. The main function of thermal insulation is to reduce thermal losses or heat transfer. Some types of insulation will also prevent condensation while others like rockwool won't and require an additional vapour barrier which is not part of the insulation. Anyway, preventing condensation is definitely not the whole point of insulation.

It is a good side effect though and preventing rust is another

On 29/10/2020 at 19:37, Norm55 said:

Snooze and you lose.

If you are currently looking to buy a boat you need to go and look at it and get your deposit down the day (or sooner) it comes up for sale.

You need to register your interest with every broker you can find and get them to give you a call before they even clean it and list it.

Any boat in 'fair' & upwards condition at a reasonable price will sell within a couple or three days.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Snooze and you lose.

If you are currently looking to buy a boat you need to go and look at it and get your deposit down the day (or sooner) it comes up for sale.

You need to register your interest with every broker you can find and get them to give you a call before they even clean it and list it.

Any boat in 'fair' & upwards condition at a reasonable price will sell within a couple or three days.

Not according to LadyG! she would want to haggle even after paying for a dry docking and survey, suspect she would be watching said NB sailing away currently!

• Haha 1

I disagree.  We are now all in lockdown.  No one else will be looking at these boats  To make a huge purchase like this almost blind is foolhardy surely .  Do we trust surveyors  ? You have to feel the boat is right for you too .

Would rather sit out the winter and watch the market get back to normal.  Currently we are buying when market is high.  I think many may come to regret their purchases when the market gets back to normal. 

9 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

I disagree.  We are now all in lockdown.  No one else will be looking at these boats  To make a huge purchase like this almost blind is foolhardy surely .  Do we trust surveyors  ? You have to feel the boat is right for you too .

Would rather sit out the winter and watch the market get back to normal.  Currently we are buying when market is high.  I think many may come to regret their purchases when the market gets back to normal. 

When I first bought my first boat 18 years ago I was shocked at the speed they sold! I bought mine as an ex share boat and only got a great deal because I converted the sellers Rolls Royce to LPG for him. It was surveyed by the seller and a lot of boats sold in one weekend (it was a seller's market) it was a good boat and the seller put a warranty on it because I had allowed it to stay in fleet for an extra month. Because of an error they also had to fit a reconditioned engine and gearbox it was a win win for me. When I bought my second boat it was a buyers market and I stole it with the help of my ex lady friend, the problem is I can't see the sellers market ending any time soon 

17 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

It is entirely your choice as to what you do.

However, be aware that many boats are being sold without viewing, pay a deposit, surveyor says 'its OK' and the balance is paid.

I forecast the market will be 'higher' next Summer as folks realise that Overses travel is no longer allowed, or practical and the 'staycation'  rules.

It is certainly something new in the boat market, but just look at how 2nd hand car firms are now doing it (Cazoo .......)

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, peterboat said:

When I first bought my first boat 18 years ago I was shocked at the speed they sold! I bought mine as an ex share boat and only got a great deal because I converted the sellers Rolls Royce to LPG for him. It was surveyed by the seller and a lot of boats sold in one weekend (it was a seller's market) it was a good boat and the seller put a warranty on it because I had allowed it to stay in fleet for an extra month. Because of an error they also had to fit a reconditioned engine and gearbox it was a win win for me. When I bought my second boat it was a buyers market and I stole it with the help of my ex lady friend, the problem is I can't see the sellers market ending any time soon 

But why?

Fair points both.  Bear in mind however that have never had holiday on narrowboat.  . We had booked one but it was cancelled due to Covid. So this is holding me back a little.  Am therefore not rushing into this   but have learnt a lot from this forum. 

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

No need to respond to all myposts, especially when I am asking peterboat.

What he said, my camper van has doubled in value over the last few months (I have been offered 8k for it I have 4k in it) people know that planes and cruise ships are going to be dead in the water with lots of the crews in different employment. So they will be doing staycation until they feel safe and overseas holidays are available 

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What he said, my camper van has doubled in value over the last few months (I have been offered 8k for it I have 4k in it) people know that planes and cruise ships are going to be dead in the water with lots of the crews in different employment. So they will be doing staycation until they feel safe and overseas holidays are available 

Also dont forget sadly some owners wont be here next year